Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
For all you people out there that probably know a lot more about this then me i have a problem with my csvt when i take left turn's a really loud humming noise and vibration starts i know its not the wheel bearing because that whole right side has been replaced new, strut ball joints ty rode just about everything bearing wasn't replaced due to the fact it was still in excellent condition one thing is i do need a new boot for my strut because it is cracked but i highly doubt the noise is from that due to how loud it is my first thoughts was that maybe my wheel was rubbing on something but i checked that out doesn't seem like that's the problem and my second thought was the bearing but that's not it either its real mind boggling, also the car just passed inspection so it doesn't seem like its life threatning but its just real annoying someone please help

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Humming in turns. Check the tires for cupping on the outside of the tread. That will cause a humm in the turns at speed.

On the other hand, if the bearings were replaced and the correct preload wasn't put on the axle nut then it could be the bearings again. A definite problem if the same axle nuts were reused since the stock Ford nuts cannot be reused. They will tighten up on the axle and even to the correct torque but the binding will not allow them to apply adequate pressure on the hub and bearing assembly.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
It could be the other wheel bearing. Bearings have inner and outer races, so loading on left turns could still be the left wheel bearing, it happened to me. Now my bearing was grinding on left turns and straight ahead. When I removed it had a small amount of play yet the inside balls and races looked really smooth. It did not appear to be worn but it was loose.

If you are thinking tires, could you put the left on the right and right on the left and see if it changes anything?

R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
I agree, I once had a loud hum while driving and when I changed the front passenger's wheel bearing, the hum stopped.

Robin Forest 1999 Contour SVT -18" Enkei gunmetal/polished lip mags with G-Force tires - H&R lowering springs with Koni koni yellows - CrossDrilled KVR Python Too much to list...
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Check the engine mounts too. When turning the suspension will move the engine a little. If the mount is off a little, or broken, there will be metal to metal contact.

S
OP Offline
S
hmmmm i think i am going to check the engine mounts i don't think its the left side bearing cuz the noise comes from my right side and its like a vibration / loud hum and when passangers can feel the vibration and it does sound sort of metal to metal so the engine mount thing sounds like my best bet right now i'll have to get that checked out and also are there any bushings in the front that could be worn and causing this noise thanks for every1's input also

Last edited by SVTrelay; 08/10/05 05:07 PM.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Another vote for a bad bearing, or bad hub,possible bad axle nut. (one time use)

For clarification:

Left turn noise indicates right side failure (weight shifting)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard