Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
My Contour is a '95 MTX V-6 with 165,000 miles. I am the sole owner. Its mostly in great shape and I really like driving the thing, even after 10 years. The main issues with it are a leaky AC, currently discharged, and exhaust catalyst is disintegrated (according to dealer) and rattling (though it passes inspection emisions test). I feel like there may be some additional backpressure in the exhaust and the car has been running hot at times (some boiling visible in the reservour).

I have a deposit now on a '05 Focus ST at a great price. It drives very well and would satisfy me.

My quandary is that the money will be a stretch for my family on the Focus, but I'm concerned about letting this deal get by and having something really bad happen that will cost significant $$ (power steering, transmission, etc).

What are people's experience with high mileage Contours that have been lovingly cared for??

Thanks,
Chris

1995 LX V6 5-spd
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
If paying for the Focus is possible, I would go with that. In that case, you will at least know what your car payments will be each month. It doesn't take much for repairs on the Contour to exceed what it would cost for you to have the Focus each month.

Focus: Peace of mind.
Contour: Never know what could happen.

If you passed on the Focus and your tranny blew next week, you would really be wishing you went with the Focus. I can't say there's as positive a thought about keeping the Contour, other than hoping/thinking/wishing that it goes a couple more years, months even, without major repairs needed.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I agree with davo but would need to know one more thing, would you keep or get rid of the contour if you got a focus?

unless something goes wrong it can cost much to run the car from day today, so why ditch it if you still enjoy the car and don't have to put money into it unless you have to

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Not a question of 'if' but when it goes bad and it will eventually. Always do what is best for the safety of your family and peace of mind and you will have less to worry about.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I have a set of intact manifolds with pre-cats that I could give you. That would solve the precats problem, but we'll forget it because with 165,000 miles, there are likely a few more issues coming your way just from sheer age...

Tranny synchros, hoses, axels, water pump (likely soon), radiator (as it is running hot), suspension bits...etc. Time to move on & perhaps have the 'Tour as a second car and get parts from the bone yard as needed.

If the '05 Focus is a stretch, have you considered something a few years old? You might be able to get into one for half the price - although the financing costs may be higher, that would save you some monthly $.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by happywithit:
I am the sole owner. Its mostly in great shape and I really like driving the thing, even after 10 years. The main issues with it are a leaky AC, currently discharged, and exhaust catalyst is disintegrated (according to dealer) and rattling (though it passes inspection emisions test). I feel like there may be some additional backpressure in the exhaust and the car has been running hot at times (some boiling visible in the reservour).

My quandary is that the money will be a stretch for my family on the Focus, but I'm concerned about letting this deal get by and having something really bad happen that will cost significant $$ (power steering, transmission, etc).

My Contour is 9 years old but not high mileage yet. All cars require maintenance, new cars less but old cars could be less too if maintenance is conducted continuously. Assuming your Focus is $18K, you are looking at $400 per month for 4 years. Did you get an estimate to fix the A/c? That could be a $500 fix (maybe more maybe less). Car could be running hot because of WP ($300 fix at dealer) or maybe you need a coolant flush or oil/filter change. Do you have a CEL for the catalytic convertor? Yes, that could be $1,000 for a 95. But with just these, you are looking at about $2,000 (about 5 months payment as opposed to 48 months). If you have been been keeping up the maintenance on the PS and Tranny, it might last a little longer (how long nobody knows). If you are concerned, keep aside $400 every month that you have the Contour for unexpected repairs since that would be what you would save by not buying the new Focus. New car higher property taxes and higher insurance. There will always be good deals on new cars. And I doubt they will give you more than $1K on your trade.

It is nice not to have a car payment if you are tight on finances. I am on the side of keeping the car since you have been the sole owner and the car appears to be in an acceptable condition (after some repairs). But ultimately, it is your decision, if you can afford it.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
Thanks for the quick responses.

I would sell the car if I bought the Focus.

My water pump was done at 55K miles. I think I got a replacement with a metal impeller, but no issues with that to date.

No CEL light at all, does that mean all is fine with the behavior of the converter?

No bad noises from the tranny (manual) and my axel CV boots are all still intact.

With the bigger ticket items like the steering rack/pump and gearbox, am I likely to hear them coming and have months or longer of warning? or happen all of a sudden.

The car has been (knock wood) extremely reliable so far. The normal spark plug wires issues, but nothing I couldn't sort out.

Chris

1995 LX V6 5-spd
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Thanks for the quick responses.

I would sell the car if I bought the Focus.

My water pump was done at 55K miles. I think I got a replacement with a metal impeller, but no issues with that to date.

No CEL light at all, does that mean all is fine with the behavior of the converter?

No bad noises from the tranny (manual) and my axel CV boots are all still intact.

With the bigger ticket items like the steering rack/pump and gearbox, am I likely to hear them coming and have months or longer of warning? or happen all of a sudden.

The car has been (knock wood) extremely reliable so far. The normal spark plug wires issues, but nothing I couldn't sort out.

Pre-cats are toast, main cat is likely fine, but perhaps plugged up with some debris.

Steering rack will likely show leaks before a major failure. Tranny will get crunchy and/or difficult to shift as a warning. If you're not abusing it & have no symptoms yet, who know how long it will last? Maybe for years.

Suspension will get harsh and/or bouncy when you need struts. If you haven't replaced them yet, you're due along with some strut mounts.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

Chris

No CEL ... Yes, for now.

PS. Takes time, you should have some warning.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=996579&Forum=All_Forums&Words=17397&Match=Username&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=995720&Search=true#Post996579

Tranny for MTX. Some of the MTX folks will have to answer that.

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/08/05 07:09 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
what can I / should I do about the precats or converter, for a reasonable cost? Something else to note, my exhaust has been getting perceptably louder and the last time I was under the car I noted some carbon trails from the muffler entrance so I think I'm springing a few small leaks.

1995 LX V6 5-spd
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard