Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
i'd go in a sec... oh wait... i probably am going anyway , maybe i'll see u there...

Semper Fi... It's Hard To Be Modest When You Know You're The Best...
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Jeez, $200K.. What kind of work will you be doing over there?

R
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
R
diagnosis, repair (Microminiature soldering), replacement, maintenance, and operation of some teleconferencing equipment. Apparently those teleconferences are important.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Cartman Reincarnated:
Jeez, $200K.. What kind of work will you be doing over there?

Yes, what kind of work?

I can't really say how it's like to live here, since I'm stuck on the military bases here. But I do travel to other camps, so I've seen the landscape and such. The roads are really nice here (the main highways at least), but there are some dirt (sand?) roads that would eat a Contour. There's a lot of new construction going on that you can see off the highways.

The drivers here are friggin CRAZY mofos... they will pass you in the sand if it's the only path around. When you get here and get your licence here, they will let you know that Kuwaitis are all about "me first" while driving. They will pass you just to pass, cut you off, slam on brakes, etc.

There are a lot of accidents. Not uncommon to see a car overturned on the side of the road.

The cops will not pull you over unless you're really doing something wrong, which isn't often. We were in the far left lane and had a cop in front of us... this minivan decided to pass us on the left between us and the cement barrier dividing the highway. The cop didn't even care.

They do have cameras put up along the highway, and they will ticket you for speeding. Good thing is they let you know like 2-3Km before you get to it. Everyone slows down to 120Km/h (the speed limit) right near the camera, then speeds back up to 130-140Km/h. Doing 140-150Km/h is fast enough so people don't aggressivly pass you, but slow enough to be safe.

Other than that, IMO, it's a fairly safe place, but there were some contractors killed a while ago:

Originally posted by http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/camp-doha.htm :

On January 21, 2003 an American civilian was killed and another wounded in an ambush near Kuwait City. The two American men were civilian contractors working for the U-S military in Kuwait, according to a U-S embassy spokesman (John Moran) in the emirate.

The shooting occurred about nine o'clock in the morning, local time, just north of Kuwait City, at an intersection several kilometers from Camp Doha, where as many as ten thousand U-S troops are stationed to prepare for a possible attack on neighboring Iraq.

The two men were in a Toyota Landcruiser that was struck several times by gunfire. The driver was shot in the shoulder and the leg and is said to be in stable condition at a local hospital. His passenger was shot several times and died as a result of his wounds.

Authorities say it appears the gunman or gunmen may have been laying in wait in a nearby agricultural area, and ambushed the car as it was driving by. No one has claimed responsibility for the shooting.

I'm sure that was a isolated incident, but there is a city they told us is off limits to military b/c of violence. I think it's Al Jahra or something.

Also a lot of people say it's always dry here... that depends on where you are. It is humid near the coast (like Kuwait City), so be prepared when it's 130 and humid (like 15-30%). It's real nice...

The military used to be able to go off base up until about a year ago when (from what I've heard) the Army got a new 4 star that commands ARCENT. The Air Force doesn't see a threat and wants our personnel to be able to go downtown. Problem is the CENTAF commander is a 3 star... Oh well.

I would try to get your car sent over here. It would be a pretty cool car to be in, but hopefully isn't really low, cause the speedbumps here are huge.

Anyway, I gotta get back to work...

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
U
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
U
Originally posted by Ray:
that is 3,500.00 That isn't the pay.. that is vacation cash...

The stats would be as follows:

flight over there (me and the family both) - paid for
3bdrm/2bth 2700-3200sq/ft house - paid for
vehicle - paid for
gasoline, utilities, and ammenities (cable, highspeed, phone, etc..) - paid for

Ray

124 Degrees in the shade......priceless

99 ATX Contour 130k w/ a 21k tranny freshly installed Secret Project in the works
Originally posted by unknown:
Never argue with an idiot, ppl may not be able to tell the difference between you.

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Ray, I'd be ALLLLLL over that man. Talk about a once in a lifetime opportunity! Man, work that gig and milk it for all long as possible! You and your family will be 20 years ahead of the game! Congrats and good luck buddy. You will be missed!

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
And you got good guys over there like Kane to watch your back .

B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Ray,

Though I haven't worked or lived overseas, I did some calculating a while back on moving with my wife to another country and starting a job. One of the main things I don't see you considering is your current family/network of friends. If you currently have family or friends that you see and/or rely on for help with the kid, visiting, just hanging out with, that is pretty much going to all end. My guess is that the move would be hardest on your wife if she's to be stuck at home in a new country and very few if any friends that she can visit with close by. To me, that would be the biggest thing to consider. If she's not happy 3-6 months down the road, do you both have the fortitude to stick it out until the year is done?

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Bra, would you still be able to post man? This place would loose something. Like a rainbow with less colors ya kno.

Still hard to pass up that much scrath.

You're my inspiration, so heck yea. I'd miss ya!

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Trucker Bomb!:
Bra, would you still be able to post man?

Yeah, he should be. Kane is over there now and still posting.

Er... I am a little concerned with your screen name. Maybe it is because I live in the DC area.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard