Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
This is not meant to be patronizing or derogatory in any way, but simply a quick question...

Did you have any auto repair/maintenance experience prior to doing this job? The reason I'm asking is because although the Intake overhaul is a fairly simple procedure, it would not be the first one I would undertake if I were new to auto mechanics. Especially since you're dealing with perhaps the most important part of your car... the engine.
Just a thought, since it seems like you ran into some trouble with a few things along the way.

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by sail114:
This is not meant to be patronizing or derogatory in any way, but simply a quick question...

Did you have any auto repair/maintenance experience prior to doing this job? The reason I'm asking is because although the Intake overhaul is a fairly simple procedure, it would not be the first one I would undertake if I were new to auto mechanics. Especially since you're dealing with perhaps the most important part of your car... the engine.
Just a thought, since it seems like you ran into some trouble with a few things along the way.

IMHO this procedure is one of the better ones to do with some mechanically inclined friends/parents and get started with working on your car. Granted he ran into a few mistakes but hopefully he learned from those and next time will know what to do.

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
oh i've been around the block a few times (pun intended?) Was confident throughout the project, perhaps over-confident in using the torque wrench. the last and only time using one of those was putting heads back onto a series of 3 liter taurus engines (vulcan 3.0 not duratec) So yeah, i snapped a bolt, got frustrated with the IMRC spring, and lost the throttle retainer clip. all in all not too bad... I'm a trench digger by day, and I load trucks for Fedex in the eve, so doing car projects like this in the time I normally use for sleep usually ends up in a few mistakes. That's understandable, right? Guys??

1999 Contour SE - Duratec MTX
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by JaketheSnake:
... so doing car projects like this in the time I normally use for sleep usually ends up in a few mistakes. That's understandable, right? Guys??

LOL. Welcome to the real world of car repairs. LOL. It happens even when I am not half asleep. LOL.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
oh i've been around the block a few times (pun intended?) Was confident throughout the project, perhaps over-confident in using the torque wrench. the last and only time using one of those was putting heads back onto a series of 3 liter taurus engines (vulcan 3.0 not duratec) So yeah, i snapped a bolt, got frustrated with the IMRC spring, and lost the throttle retainer clip. all in all not too bad... I'm a trench digger by day, and I load trucks for Fedex in the eve, so doing car projects like this in the time I normally use for sleep usually ends up in a few mistakes. That's understandable, right? Guys??

Totally understandable. I'll never forget the time my father put brake pads on my car backwards (I was only 16 at the time) working at 10 at night. Next day my mother drove the car and said it wasn't stopping well and was grinding something awful. Needless to say I had to throw out the new rotors and start over again

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
so doing car projects like this in the time I normally use for sleep usually ends up in a few mistakes. That's understandable, right? Guys??

i usually plan an entire day to do a job that "should" take an hour to do......anything i do on a car ends up costing me to replace a different part somewhere along the line....glad to see im not the only one with car repair blues....

2000 Contour SVT #1567
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by ToTalXS:
so doing car projects like this in the time I normally use for sleep usually ends up in a few mistakes. That's understandable, right? Guys??

i usually plan an entire day to do a job that "should" take an hour to do......anything i do on a car ends up costing me to replace a different part somewhere along the line....glad to see im not the only one with car repair blues....

Yes! Simple projects always take the longest...

My favorite so far is when my dad and I were trying to repair a fuel line on a 1950 Buick. We pulled the little piece that screws into the fuel pump off and found the threads on the hose side to be shot. So, we go to O'Rielly's, pick up the new part, come home and it fits fine in the fuel pump. It won't go into the hose end. We take it all up to O'Reilly's and he tells us to clean it. DOH! Screwed right in after that...And the fuel line worked perfectly.

Sometimes when you're working on cars, with the right amount of sleep, your thoughts just go to the end result, not all the steps in between.

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard