Print Thread
J
jd2-98s Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
98 Contour GL 2.0L ATX

Upgrading to BAT 21MM rear swaybar problem.

First I started with my Contour.

Safely got it off the ground.

Removed old sway bar

Started installing new say bar, problem. The bracket won't push back up into place (Even with sway links disconnected) so I came up with this idea. Which wasn't good I'll get into that after.

Now jacking it up did get it into place. I drove it and it seemed fine and very happy with the feel) It still seems fine but doesn't sound it.

First noise I figured out, was because I didn't grease the inside of the bushings. It was the worst of the 2 noise. So remember grease those I.D holes of your new bushings.

The second noise is the click clack that I get on my road. It's being caused by the fact that the bracket is getting bent on the side that slides/hooks into sub frame. I checked with ford dealer and they said only one size was made for all contour models (they could be wrong I'm sure) but seems either I have to cut some of the bushing back about an 1/8th where it mates with the sub frame (which can't be done because the stopper on the swaybar will hit the sub frame I'm sure) or find a deeper U-bend brackets. Maybe find someone to fab some for me

What I did find on here, was talk of welding brackets but that will mean removing the sub frame. Which I want to stay away from. I only do street so not looking to go in to that kinda work.

I though I saw brackets at one time, but can't remember.

JD

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
C
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
C
The brackets are for an 18mm bar... thats why they were reluctant to push up. They are also old and have a lot of miles on them, so they should be changed anyway. They run about 5 dollars.

2000 CSVT Black Magna Flow Exhaust KKM True Rev Intake 17" Enkei DM5 Yokohama ES 100 215/45/17ZR Carbon fiber front and back All in all... a fat car
J
jd2-98s Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
OK saw the FAQ on swaybars and another post. It's not looking good I guess on getting away easy. I'll be putting the stock rear sway back in for now.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
J
jd2-98s Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I knew the bar is bigger infact I think I have a 16MM bar because I have the GL and not the SVT, but guess it's still the same bracket in all they just change the bushings.

Where can I get them?

JD

Last edited by jd28; 07/12/05 05:24 AM.

J
jd2-98s Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Cody

I need them, I can't find them. Place I've purchased from doesn't have'em. Could you PM me a website?

JD

P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
they run $5 at the junk yard maybe....ford wants $40 a pop for them! and the places where those brackets mount are junk. what I am doing is I bought a new subframe of a tour at the junk yard and a freind of mine that builds race cars and I are going to seam weld it and weld in some reinforcments to it including all new from scratch brackets that are actualy hefty enough to take the extra force from the upgraded rear anti sway.
way mine is right now it actuly tore out the goofy "L" shaped thing the bracket ataches to on the drivers side. its nice in auto cross I understear one way and over stear the other! gets intersting lol

If anybody is intersted ill take some pics so others of you can try the same mod. let me know

oh and I picked up the rear sub frame from the junk yard with the stock sway attached and all four controll arms for a astronomical $50. lets you take your time and do it up right and box the flimsy controll arms and then just swap the entire thing in!

99 merc cougar, Auto cross junkie
J
jd2-98s Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
It's finding the alignment tools (which I'm sure is out there) to get that sub frame in the right place... Otherwise it's going to be out of wack.

I know what you mean though, the sub frame looks like it was made out of tin.

I rather stay away from a junk yard because you run into the same problem (unless I get lucky) of a weak bracket and will still be the wrong size because only one size was made (wrong size for 21mm sway bar) But I've also hear of people using the stock setup, stock brackets and not having a problem.

I read about the beefing up of the sub frame and making boxed brackets for the swaybar bushings but just seems too much for my street driving. I really try not to push her too hard.

Well if comes down too it, I'll reinstall my stock bar and live with it. Or drive around untill I damage something and say "look honey I broke the car, guess I need to do this welding subframe upgrade." and she will respond with this

J
jd2-98s Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Ok got new brackets. But like we all know I'm going to have sub frame failure in the future.

Guess crying about it isn't going to help it.

Does anyone know where to get rear alignment tools?

JD

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard