Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
One question before anyone goes any farther. I deal with this stuff on a day to day basis.

Does the hard drive use any type of 3rd party disk utilities on it, such as GoBack or any type of drive overlay software?

Everyone can stop with the jumper setting crap and talking about drivers.

If the device manager is showing the hard drive being present then it has nothing to do with drivers or jumper settings.

When you try it on the XP machine, right click on My Computer, go to Manage, then click Disk Management. In Disk Management you can view the status of the drive you are having problems with. It won't have a drive letter but it will say the size of the drive, status, and what type of file system it is using.

If it says anything other than FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS, then you partitioned the drive using software outside of Windows. That means the only way any computer will recognize the drive is if you install whatever software got the drive like that in the first place.

Hope this helps a little and I'll help with anything else you need to know.

Oh yeah ... Go Back is a major PITA!! I've worked on a consumers desktop with this once, couldn't do jack without it!
I'm lucky that the business systems don't have this stuff (and if they do it goes when I touch them). A quick question though. Would something like GoBack directly affect
the ability to read it when it's not a boot drive ? I guess it must write to the boot sector or something.

Like CSVT1214 inferrs ... XP is definitely your friend in this situation! Check you have permissions to add an external drive though ... seeing as it's your work computer there may be a policy to disable this. It's easily spotted as the policy usually locks down not only USB drives but generally the floppy drive too. I've never tested the policy myself so I don't know how it manifests itself.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Christian:
A quick question though. Would something like GoBack directly affect
the ability to read it when it's not a boot drive ? I guess it must write to the boot sector or something.

Simple answer , yes. If the drive is not the boot drive, and the boot drive does not have GoBack, it will not read the GoBack drive until it is installed. It actually uses a form of drivers to be able to read the partitions.

Simple explanation , that's pushing it. I'll try and explain it as best as I can.

GoBack makes a hard drive basically have partitions within a partition. A GoBack partition on any computer without GoBack will show up as "Unknown File System" or "Non-DOS" (if using Fdisk). Within that mystery file system is the actual partitions you created, such as FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS.

It does write to the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the hard drive. Use any program or utility you want to erase the hard drive, and GoBack will still show up on boot on a hard drive that is supposedly blank. Only a few ways to remove GoBack. The two I use are:

1. Uninstall GoBack once booted to Windows. (Only possible if the computer you are using is actually booting into Windows, obviously.)

2. Use the FDISK /MBR command at a command prompt. This will erase the MBR from the drive and re-write it with a brand new one. So bye bye GoBack.

See I tried to make that simple, but I can never do it.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
The box says ME doesn't need a driver for the IDE cable. I'm plugged in correctly too.

From control panel I'm having a green arrow show up for "USB Human Interface Device" so it's there, but unknown what to do with it.

Is calling the drive a USB mass storage device, instead of a drive... I think.

In layman terms, I think I've mixed drivers or something and messed up what the computer thinks the USB port is.

Anyway, I'm looking at it again tonight, then just stopping while I'm ahead.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Makes perfect sense to me, and I learned something new about stupid damned poxy free software on MB driver disks!!

For windows XP however, what would be the command to write a new boot record? I know you can do it through the rec. console, but FDISK is not available in XP.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
The box says ME doesn't need a driver for the IDE cable. I'm plugged in correctly too.

From control panel I'm having a green arrow show up for "USB Human Interface Device" so it's there, but unknown what to do with it.

In layman terms, I think I've mixed drivers or something and messed up what the computer thinks the USB port is.

AFAIK Windows ME requires drivers for all external storage devices. I may be wrong as I more or less never see ME around though.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Christian:
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:

AFAIK Windows ME requires drivers for all external storage devices. I may be wrong as I more or less never see ME around though.

Sorry Nate, but you are losing me completely with what you just said. I don't know what to say now.

Christian, Windows ME has almost the same driver support as XP. External storage in Windows ME is very simple, even though ME is garbage. It's 98 and lower that is more complicated for users without computer knowledge.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Welcome to my world!

What I meant to say is that the USB "sytem" seems to be out of whack. I think I may have overwritten drivers or something to that extent.

That computer has nothing on worth saving (or copying to disk) so worse comes to worse, I reimage the drive and that'll put the USB drivers back.

I don't know enought about operating systems to keep screwing with them.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
One question before anyone goes any farther. I deal with this stuff on a day to day basis.

Does the hard drive use any type of 3rd party disk utilities on it, such as GoBack or any type of drive overlay software?

I do the exact same thing- IT manager for a company in Boston. In fact, I've used that exact hardware a few times, and as I said before, it did NOT work correctly until the drivers were installed properly.

It does not have GoBack, it is a driver for the ide-usb bridge. It will NOT work otherwise.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by bishop375:

I do the exact same thing- IT manager for a company in Boston. In fact, I've used that exact hardware a few times, and as I said before, it did NOT work correctly until the drivers were installed properly.

It does not have GoBack, it is a driver for the ide-usb bridge. It will NOT work otherwise.

I'm not following you. You say it does not have GoBack, but how do you know if his hard drive has GoBack?

If the device is requiring drivers for it to operate correctly, why is Windows not asking him for them? First thing the device will do when plugged in is show "New Hardware Found", then it will attempt to install the drivers for the device if Windows has them already. If not, it will prompt for device drivers.

I sell devices like this all day everyday, and not a single computer that I plugged them into with Windows XP has ever asked me for a driver. They are true Plug and Play with XP.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It didn't ask us for drivers, either. It saw the USB mass storage device, but would do nothing with it.

We had to install the drivers manually, and it immediately gave us access to the drive.

This was also on a brand new Win XP Dell laptop recovering data from his old hdd.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard