Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Okay ... I did a little quick searching on this product.

It would appear that it is totally plug 'n' play once the drivers are installed (not required for XP).

This would make it appear to be a hardware problem.

We can presume that the USB connector is functioning, as it is detected.

Does the hard disk power up?

Does it sound like it's spinning normally ?

Do the LED's light up (I think it has some somewhere) ?

ALso ... if you can't take it somewhere to test it, try testing it with a CD-drive or anoter hard disk.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Yes I have the power plug and it works. Turns on and makes a constant spinning noise. Not like it's processing, just starts up and keeps "spinning"

I think it's a USB problem... I think.

I also have a small 1GB portable harddrive which plugs directly into the USB port and in My Computer shows right up and you can access it. No problem before I got this other tool, BUT now when I plug that same 1GB drive in the USB port it's detected, but again I can't see it's drive designation in My Computer any more.

I tried just removing all the USB stuff from CP and redetecting them to clear any stuff in there, but no effect.

When I plug the 1GB drive in, in control panel is shows USB mass storage device with a green question mark by it. So it knows it's there, just doesn't know what the heck it is.

Like I said, not the end of the world if I can't access the other drive. I sure hope it isn't fried. Without a motherboard a hard drive will just spin right up correct?

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Yeah it should just spin. Do you have any other USB ports?

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
This older computer only has two and one is the mouse. Now the computer isn't shutting down right and it's not recognizing the front USB at all.

I'm done fu_king with this portable drive sh_t. I think I'll re-image the hard drive on the good computer (after backing up mail & stuff I want to keep) then update the system to bring it current and stop messing around with the one good computer I still have!

I'm cursed I believe!

Thanks guys!

N.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
This is why I hate windows. It may very well be a hardware issue but windows just goes bat-sh!t with drivers and stuff like that.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
This will sound stupid, but, have you installed the driver software?

We use the same device here, and it's been flawless so far once the drivers are installed.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I'm assuming you have the pin numbers lined up (1:1, and 40:40, etc)?
Make sure the USB plug for the hard drive isn't 'reversed'. My $0.02

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by timstour:

Usuallly this cannot happen because there is a notch in the plug.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Wien_Sean:
Originally posted by timstour:

Usuallly this cannot happen because there is a notch in the plug.

Yeah, but there are older drives/plugs with gaps instead of pins, and the USB plug in the picture shows that the blanked socket is not being used. Maybe the other plug will allow it to be connected wrongly.

BTW, this is probably academic, if this is an XP NTFS(5) formatted disc. ME can barely read FAT32, IIRC Even the utilities might struggle if the disc had encryption on it...

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
One question before anyone goes any farther. I deal with this stuff on a day to day basis.

Does the hard drive use any type of 3rd party disk utilities on it, such as GoBack or any type of drive overlay software?

Everyone can stop with the jumper setting crap and talking about drivers.

If the device manager is showing the hard drive being present then it has nothing to do with drivers or jumper settings.

When you try it on the XP machine, right click on My Computer, go to Manage, then click Disk Management. In Disk Management you can view the status of the drive you are having problems with. It won't have a drive letter but it will say the size of the drive, status, and what type of file system it is using.

If it says anything other than FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS, then you partitioned the drive using software outside of Windows. That means the only way any computer will recognize the drive is if you install whatever software got the drive like that in the first place.

Hope this helps a little and I'll help with anything else you need to know.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard