Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Max02 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
That's too bad...I would have liked an easy fix! Does my plug/wire theory make any sense?

2002 Nissan Maxima SE Former 2000 SVT Contour owner
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Speaking of an easy fix I had the same problem with my car my secondary valves were not opening (lack of acceleration passing 4000rpm). I found the 7 dollar plastic bushing missing and the metal rod that pulls open the secondary valves just hagging there. The Ford parts guy says those bushings always break. 98 SVT-93000 miles

'98 SVT #1838 of 6535, every mile's mine! That makes no one to blame but me.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Maybe someone can help me out with this one. My IMRC works fine when the car is cold, but after a long drive when the engine is really warm, secondaries don't kick in. Once it cools down, everything is back to normal with it. Kinda strange, but what would be the fix for this, relocation?

Silver 1998 Contour SE Sport K&N Intake, Magnaflow Res.,SVT Body Kit(soon) Koni Sport Kit
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
that, or replacing a/some transistor(s)

I actually am working on a relocation How-to, right now.. you basically move it to either the side of the maf, or the battery box, etc..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Thanks. Guess I will try relocating it and see what happens. Ray, you are surely the man!

Silver 1998 Contour SE Sport K&N Intake, Magnaflow Res.,SVT Body Kit(soon) Koni Sport Kit
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Green hornet I really doubt your issue is the IMRC. Car will still run fine w/o it working. Sounds like a fuel pump or the screen. It's pretty easy to pull the back seat and open up the fuel pump access door. All the info is in the how-to. If you need me to do it for you I'm in Grand Rapids. I'd advise doing the Focus SVT fuel pump fix. About $100 from Bill Jenkins.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
Max02 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by todras XXL:
Green hornet I really doubt your issue is the IMRC. Car will still run fine w/o it working. Sounds like a fuel pump or the screen. It's pretty easy to pull the back seat and open up the fuel pump access door. All the info is in the how-to. If you need me to do it for you I'm in Grand Rapids. I'd advise doing the Focus SVT fuel pump fix. About $100 from Bill Jenkins.

If the screen is the culprit, would I only experience the problem with less than half a tank? If it is the pump, I'll be pissed since it is relatively new. What is the Focus SVT fuel pump fix? Using a fuel pump from a Focus SVT?

What is this fix for Returnless Fuel Pump Fix ?

M
Max02 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Ok, I went out at lunch to rev the engine with the TB. The metal piece underneath the TB moves towards the firewall when I rev it high enough. I guess that means the problem is not with the IMRC. I pulled up the backseat too to look at the fuel pump access point. Mine looks different than the one in the replacement how-to. Mine has only two "things" coming out of the top at the front. How do I go about removing that sock?

Thanks for the help. I like to be able to go to a garage and tell them what I think the problem is rather than just saying "its rough at high rpm's". They like to "fix" everything to find out which fix works.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
By all the posts, it looks like there is a common failure with the V6. I replaced my fuel pump (pretty easy) and the sock was spotless after all these years. I still have the lean out condition (bank one & two) but the WOT cutting out is gone. Get a fuel pressure gauge first, about 40 bucks, and see if the pressures are OK. You can check the regulator operation by removing the vacuum line from the intake manifold and plugging it right away. Pressure should jump up to about 40psi from around 30 with vacuum on. I'm still having problems and it looks like a vacuum leak in the intake because I can't find anything else wrong. My IMRC is working fine too.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by GreenHornet:
Ok, I went out at lunch to rev the engine with the TB. The metal piece underneath the TB moves towards the firewall when I rev it high enough. I guess that means the problem is not with the IMRC. I pulled up the backseat too to look at the fuel pump access point. Mine looks different than the one in the replacement how-to. Mine has only two "things" coming out of the top at the front. How do I go about removing that sock?

Thanks for the help. I like to be able to go to a garage and tell them what I think the problem is rather than just saying "its rough at high rpm's". They like to "fix" everything to find out which fix works.

All returnless late 99 on up is the same.

Yours looks like this correct?

I wouldn't advise taking it to a garage unless you do the Focus SVT pump swap first and remove the disc screen at the same time. For $100 and 25 minutes it's worth it. Hell I'll do it for $30 and save you the garage raping.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard