Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by HeavyWeight300:
When do you think you will be doing the swap??? I would like to rebuild my engine some day so if i can learn some things from doing yours it�s all the better. I don�t know much but I can turn a wrench and lift stuff. How far are you from Merrimack???

The work will be done in a friend's garage (home, not pro) in Milford, CT. I'm not sure how far that is from you, but I'd appreciate help lifting, etc.

My friend also home brews, and has a kegerator, so hopefully anyone helping out will not go thirsty.

2000 CSVT: silver frost, on stands spun bearing = crunchy motor
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by hmouta:
i've never pulled an engine and i'm far from an engine expert but i'd certainly be willing to lend a hand of i'm free when you do this.

That'd definately be appreaciated. I still don't know the exact date that we are going to do the swap. We're arranging access to a cherry picker, an engine stand, some better jacks, etc. "The sooner the better" is what we both keep saying. Unfortunately, you can't circle that on a calendar.

Speaking of jacks, can anyone tell me how realistic it is to drop the engine from a CSVT without a full lift? Like, in a home garage? Is it possible (or practical) to pull it with a cherry picker rather than dropping the subframe, or whatever?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by slashdevnull:
Originally posted by hmouta:
i've never pulled an engine and i'm far from an engine expert but i'd certainly be willing to lend a hand of i'm free when you do this.

That'd definately be appreaciated. I still don't know the exact date that we are going to do the swap. We're arranging access to a cherry picker, an engine stand, some better jacks, etc. "The sooner the better" is what we both keep saying. Unfortunately, you can't circle that on a calendar.

Speaking of jacks, can anyone tell me how realistic it is to drop the engine from a CSVT without a full lift? Like, in a home garage? Is it possible (or practical) to pull it with a cherry picker rather than dropping the subframe, or whatever?

I am the same as Hugo, haven't done it but willing to help out, also Milford is only about 20 minutes from me and I come through there on the parkway every day so it is easy for me to be in the area

um, people have pulled engines before at home with out lifts, you can get the engine out the top

what I also saw done in pics with a tempo was the guy got the subframe on the floor and lifted the front of the car up off the subframe

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by brapple:
um, people have pulled engines before at home with out lifts, you can get the engine out the top

what I also saw done in pics with a tempo was the guy got the subframe on the floor and lifted the front of the car up off the subframe

Keeping in mind that we need to pull the engine from two cars, I'd like to do this in an efficient manner. I don't want to make a mess of my friend's garage and/or driveway for any longer than possible. We'll probably tow the donor car the moment that we get the engine out of it.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I know I haven't replied to any of your PM's lately slashdevnull, but I'd like to help when I have the time. I've been so busy getting the car done, and now trying to catch up on life since the car left me no time for anything. LOL

Just post when your going to be working on it, and I'll try to make it out there. Too bad your not doing it in Southington.

BTW, using a regular jack, the car can get high enough to pull the engine out the bottom. After doing mine, I think pulling from the top would be 100 times harder.

I still can't believe the Duratec swap was my first car repair ever. What a learning experience.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
No prob, and thanks.

As far as Southington goes, I'm there when I'm not working. So, if you want to show off that 3.0L to someone that'd appreciate it, give me a call or PM.

The jacking info is good to know. Another friend of mine is ordering a tall jack that he offered up to me for this project. He plans on using it to jack his Porsche (the bastid!) to drop and pull the engine.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
The jack we used went very high, but not high enough to pull it out. We had to put a 2x4 piece of wood on top of the jack to give us the extra hieght. Sounds ghetto, but it did the job just fine.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard