Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I was just curious people's opinions were about the newer Saab 9-3s. Like the 2004 body style. A friend of mine and I were looking into them a while back because they're a sports sedan, but around here all you really see is BMWs, Audis, and WRX... but the 9-3 is something that would be in those catagories but not as common. He actually recently purchased one, preowned, and it's nice. I am becoming quite fond of them. What do you think?

~98 Contour SVT E0 Silver Frost *04 6 spoke SVT Focus Wheels ~03 SVT Cobra *All stock (for now).
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I personally don't think much of them... hate to say it, but the Saab quirkiness doesn't add anything for me... AND GM sold it's soul to the devil (no hatchback anymore).

Acceleration and handling really didn't impress me at all. My Mazda6 is a much better car in every way... performance to looks, to room, to practicality.

Only standout item: The flimsiest cupholders in the automotive industry.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
They're not that bad!

Drove a 2.0T, not enough oomph. Needs the turbo V6 for 2006.

Handling is OK. Structure is stiff, suspension is alright. Steering is ok.

Interior build quality a half notch below BMW and a full notch below Audi, Acura, Volvo.

Lots of buttons on the dash for you gadget freaks (I like it).

The stereo (even the upgraded one) is utterly crap.

Trunk is huge.

17" wheels a must.

I think a V6 turbo model would be great, with 250+ hp.

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
if your going to go swedish - get a Volvo!!!

end of story

Tea 82 242Ti Proud former owner - Samantha '98 SVT #2253 Reborn Aug 21 2002 Cobra Paradise
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I think they are nice cars. My friend has got one and I think pretty highly of it. If it is an Aero, it'll run run with, or beat a CSVT for most everything. About 210hp/230TQ, 17" wheels, and 35 mpg highway to boot. And if you kick in about a grand and get a PPC (new programing) you'll have 247HP/286TQ. Gotta love turbo cars huh? It is still a FWD, so its not a good drag car, but the 3rd gear acceleration is phenomenal.

PPC site
http://www.bsrab.se/products/n356/t/

The quality of the saab is leaps and bounds ahead of the contour, but that is to be expected in a $30k+ car. The handling and feel of the car is a little softer than that of a CSVT, but I think that was their intention. With a little bit of work, it could be a very capable performance car. And just wait till the V6 with a the light pressure turbo comes out... 155mph+ stock. Add a PPC and you will be pushing 300hp.

article
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/105710/article.html

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
one of they guys I used to work with at Hungry Howies had a 2001 9 3, I really liked it, im pretty sure it was the 2.0 Turbo. it seemed pretty quick to me. I wasnt impressed with the reliabilty of this car though in the 5000 miles that my friend had the car (he bought it with 36k) it had to go back to the shop like 5 times, the seals on the turbo went out and it smoked like crazy, it had to have the power seat fixed, I think this car had a drive by wire TB and that had to be replaced. I still think it is a good car though.

mj

Mike C T-Red 99 csvt #490 No longer a dailer driver
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Originally posted by kerrychin:

Interior build quality a half notch below BMW and a full notch below Audi, Acura, Volvo.

When did Volvo enter the same class as Audi in interiors? Are you just comparing material quality?

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Newmadamus:
Originally posted by kerrychin:

When did Volvo enter the same class as Audi in interiors? Are you just comparing material quality?

I said build quality, not style.

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I drove my friend's new 9-3, 2.0T the other day. Let me say what a pleasure it was to go from a Contour to a luxury sport sedan. The clutch was a bit softer then what I was expecting, but engaged nicely and had a firm bite to it. Suspension had necessary handling without sacrificing ride quality (it's not a track car though, that's for sure. I didn't get to open it up or anything, since it's her brand-new baby, but it seems like the power is enough for the car.

The only problem with Saab is they're so damn expensive to repair!

If I were to spend that money on a car, i'd probably go for an A4 sport wagon, or a used S4.

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)

Link Copied to Clipboard