Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Hi,

I have a 99 Contour SE Zetec. I am getting a clicking noise from what sounds like the front drivers side wheel area.

I was first hearing the noise (at low speeds, unless i just can't hear it at higher speeds)when turning now it seems to do it driving straight also.

I read somewhere that it could be the CV joint. I checked the boots and they all look good.

Here is an example of the sound. Sometimes it is constant like click, click, click. Other times it has a slight pause like click pause, click pause, etc. About a 1 sec pause between clicks when going slow. As if it clicking at a certain part of the rotation.

1.Any easy way of checking this to see if this is the problem somehow?

2. Could it possibly be something else as well?

3. If it is the CV joint, how difficult is it to repair? and if i just let it go, could i possibly do some more damage?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

99 Contour SE Zetec 2.0 ATX My Ride
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Is the problem exaggerated upon heavy acceleration or turning (and moreso when combined together?)

CV joints usually tend to be a noticeable "POP popopop POP CLICKPOP" whereas a wheel bearing tends to be a "whirr, growl, groan" type of sound. (though at low speeds, and when in a parking garage, etc, you would hear a faint repetitious clicking.

You can check to eliminate the wheelbearing by:

lifting car's front wheel (tire intact...)
try to wiggle the tire left/right, and up/down.. any movement more than 0.02" (basically. if you can feel it moving) is a bad bearing.
There is a how to under duratec maintenance for bearing and knuckle removal.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I don't think it's a wheel bearing. I do not get any of those sounds that come with a bad wheel bearing.

All i get is a clicking sound "No popping sound as of yet". I do not get it accelerating that i can notice. Only get it driving at low speed "like an idle speed" or turning.

I checked to make sure nothing was hitting the wheel or rubbing the wheel, but did not notice anything.

I am stumped, lol.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
is it a popping like the sound of a rock hitting a panel or glass? because mine is doing that too

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Ok, this is the best way i can explain the sound.

If anyone has ever played the board game "Life" , lol.

The noise sounds like the spinning wheel on the Life game - tick,tick,tick but a little sharper sounding. Almost like have a hubcap with loose spokes, but i do not have hub caps..

Anyone??

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
it could be the rack and pinion thats been know to make that noise also maybe the tie rod end. if you can move the tie rod end up and down it needs to be replaced but check the rack its very likely thats it.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard