Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Stock heat range plugs are most definitely okay for a 50 shot or less.

Make sure they are copper or if you want to pony up the cash NipponDenso Iridiums. Don't bother with NGK's Iridiums and that's rare coming from me as their other plugs are good.

For that matter Autolite has a new line of dual tip Iridium plugs. (Extremes)

Make sure to close the gap up a bit. .045 should be fine for that range.

Just out of curiosity, I'm running autolite xp104 iridium plugs right now. Those ok or should I just get the TR55? Planning on a 55 wet but may bump it up to a 75

Alex 00 T-Red/Tan SVTC #1964/2150 167 HP @6800 153 TQ @3000 Sold- 98 'Tour SE 24V 5-spd 149 HP @5900 148 LB FT @4300
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Why not bump your shot to 75 and use TR6 copper core plugs? Trust me, 75 is much more enjoyable than 55. I have absolutely no drivablility issues with these plugs.

Remember to get some type of octane booster. I have used Lucas and NOS. I have heard Torco also works well, but have yet to try it.

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I found it browsing the internet. Yes, I am supplier....of knowledge

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by allstyle12:
Remember to get some type of octane booster. I have used Lucas and NOS. I have heard Torco also works well, but have yet to try it.

You shouldent need octane booster unless your tuner is an idiot.

and Torco is the only octane booster that actually works.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Tourige:

Correct, you don't NEED octane booster. I just like to play is safe when it comes to any type of forced induction as should everyone who does not want a blown engine. Especially when the weather is hot.
Suit yourself, but I would rather be fast and reliable at the same time without having to worry about detination. I have yet to "Tune" my car, but I am only running a 75 shot so I don't really NEED to "Tune" it yet. Tunning will come if I decide to go bigger than 75. You indicate "Torco is the only octane booster that actually works". It will be helpful to us all if you have tests that "actually" proves it is the "only" one that works.

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
The NOS "Racing Formula" is the one I have been using.

The Idaho Corvette Page interviewed Jim Bell, who runs Kenne-Bell Performance Products, a manufacturer of aftermarket supercharger kits. In developing blower kits and supporting the customers who buy them, Kenne-Bell has tested many octane boosters. â??Donâ??t waste your time with boosters that use alcohol because they donâ??t do anything,â? Bell told us. â??The ones that say they have lead in them, donâ??t work, either, because the amount of lead is so small. The only boosters weâ??ve found to be worthwhile are those that use MMT and one we recommend is the NOS brand.â?

MMT stands forâ???try this tongue twister: methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. Once viewed as a possible replacement for TEL, while not as potent, it still increases octane and, in large quantities, can eliminate valve seat recession. While itâ??s used in Canada, MMT is ignored by refiners in the U.S. in favor of other antidetonants, mainly because itâ??s illegal in areas where RFG is required and a few refiners feel its long-term use might compromise engine life. MMT is shunned by car companies due to durability concerns about components in on-board diagnostic and emissions control systems and questioned by the EPA as a possible health hazard. Nevertheless, in 1995, MMT was allowed on the U.S. market with some restrictions after its manufacturer won a Federal court case against the EPA. At this writing almost no U.S. refiners add MMT to gasoline, but it is the key ingredient in a few canned octane boosters.

The Idaho Corvette Page acquired octane booster test data from an independent research laboratory. The first test was straight 92-octane unleaded gas from a Chevron station in southern California. It tested at 96.3 RON and 88.3 MON for an R+M/2 rating of 92.3, 0.3-oct. higher than the rating on the pump. To a second sample of Chevron 92 from the same station, the lab added â??104 Octane Boostâ?. The octane of the gasoline modified with this booster was unchanged. The lab tested a third sample of Chevron 92 and NOS brand â??Street Formulaâ?, a MMT octane booster, mixed 1:170 (12-oz. bottle in 16 gal. of gas). The results were: 96.8 RON, 88.4 MON and 92.6 R+M/2, a measurable change but, clearly, as the MON went up only 0.1-oct, not a practical improvement. NOSâ?? most potent booster, â??Racing Formulaâ?, another MMT-based product, in Chevron 92, tested at 98.5 RON, 90.4 MON and 94.5 R+M/2, a credible but modest improvement.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
good info to have. anything lead based is bad for 02 sensors if you dont know that (common knowledge)

also... so u guys know. higher octane doesnt necessarily mean more HP. if you have inadequete compression or timing, the more octane will actually make the car slower (produce less power, anyways) higher octane fuel is harder to burn. it's a "slower" burning fuel and most people think that makes it "better". not necessarily. if you advance a timing curve, or raise compression, or lean a car out, you will need better gas. SVT contours require premium fuel only, although you may see better times at the track when running 87 octane, but beware! it will make your car run lean or possibly detonate! i would say that a stock contour SVT could run 87 octane quite easily, until you start messing with fuel and ignition curves.

1998 CSVT NX stage 1 ford EFI kit MSD dis-4 B&M short throw K&N short ram intake Fsvt Euro 17's Trubendz 2.5" exhaust Spec stage 3 249.9 HP 258.2 TRQ clutch slipping the whole time
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Tourige:

Correct, you don't NEED octane booster. I just like to play is safe when it comes to any type of forced induction as should everyone who does not want a blown engine. Especially when the weather is hot.
Suit yourself, but I would rather be fast and reliable at the same time without having to worry about detination. I have yet to "Tune" my car, but I am only running a 75 shot so I don't really NEED to "Tune" it yet. Tunning will come if I decide to go bigger than 75. You indicate "Torco is the only octane booster that actually works". It will be helpful to us all if you have tests that "actually" proves it is the "only" one that works.

your right.. dont tune a car with nitrous... Talk to me when you blow your engine.. idiot.

Explain to me how adding octane booster even comes close to the quality of a good tune? Dosent..

And yes, Torco is the only octane booster that works, unless you want .02 of an octane for each bottle you add.

much like your weiner.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
our snowmobile race team is sponsored by torco, we have tried every octane booster they have. in a time slip mindset, the leaded booster they sell is the best. but you cant use that on your stock 02 sensors, so the unleaded stuff is the next best. and man i feel bad for anybody that pays for that stuff! $$$$$

1998 CSVT NX stage 1 ford EFI kit MSD dis-4 B&M short throw K&N short ram intake Fsvt Euro 17's Trubendz 2.5" exhaust Spec stage 3 249.9 HP 258.2 TRQ clutch slipping the whole time
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by TRicker:
our snowmobile race team is sponsored by torco, we have tried every octane booster they have. in a time slip mindset, the leaded booster they sell is the best. but you cant use that on your stock 02 sensors, so the unleaded stuff is the next best. and man i feel bad for anybody that pays for that stuff! $$$$$

No kidding.

NOS "Octane booster" (and i use that term lightly) increases the Octane by .2 points.. not 2 points, so when you think your running 93, your really running 91.2

much like your weiner.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard