Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by TronX:
Now I just need a faster way of waxing.

A true "car guy" doesn't worry about how long it takes to wax a vehicle. It's all about making things perfect .

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by caltour:
Y2KSVT is right. After you wash your car, blot it dry with an all-cotton towel (don't drag the towel across the paint) and then gently dry off the remaining water with a microfiber towel.

No matter how careful you are with the blower, it's gonna stir up dust and grit from the ground.

Please only speak on matters in which you know something about. Only, a idiot would use a leaf blower if they knew dirt and other lose objects were on the ground. Explain, to me how it is no different then you washing and drying your car in windy conditions?

At the detail shop we use blowers to remove water from the cracks and crevices of cars. You can best believe it saves a lot of time.

I would love to use one at home but they make way too much noise.

Last edited by Antonio Wright; 04/28/05 05:43 PM.

Now I hate America? That is a new one to me.
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Antonio Wright:
Only, a idiot would use a leaf blower if they knew dirt and other lose objects were on the ground.

It's inevitable, there's almost always small grit/sand/dirt particles that can be thrown up onto the paint.

Explain, to me how it is no different then you washing and drying your car in windy conditions?

I personally hate washing my car in windy conditions for that reason alone. If I do, I'm sure to have a wall blocking the wind.

Mark

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Please only speak on matters in which you know something about.

A warm and hearty greeting to you, too.

Only, a idiot would use a leaf blower if they knew dirt and other lose objects were on the ground.

Antonio, there is ALWAYS dust and grit on the ground. No matter where you wash your car, (concrete driveway, asphalt parking area, you name it,) the ground is covered with grit. Go get a piece of clear packing tape, and stick it on your driveway for a second. Then hold it up to the light and look at it. Then tell me there's no dust or grit.

Explain, to me how it is no different then you washing and drying your car in windy conditions?

I don't wash my car in windy conditions.

At the detail shop we use blowers to remove water from the cracks and crevices of cars.

I know, professional detailers do this all the time. That's one reason I don't take my car to detailers. Another reason is that I often see pro detailers wiping a towel around the wheelwells or near the bottom edge of the body and then continue on drying the car with all the grit they just picked up. I have also seen them letting their towels drag on the ground when they are drying the wheels and the bottom edge of the car.

You can best believe it saves a lot of time.

Ah, there's the real reason for using blowers. To a detailer, time is money. Swirl marks and hairline scratches are just not as important as money.

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Well said Caltour. I wasn't going to go down that road of "detailers do this and that", but now that you mention it . And that's not to say ALL detailers have the same practices. I'm not a professional detailer by trade, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to the paint on my car. Just because detailing cars is someone's occupation, doesn't make them an expert.

Mark

T
TronX Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Lord C'mon Guys.. Don't knock it until you try it first. There was ZERO grit or dirt on my car before or after. There is only so much you can do with a blower, the rest is done with towels.

Let us think this out first.

I am almost sure the single best way to kill a paint finish is to never wash your car period.

You can put swirl mark into the finish if you don't change wash rags and use the wrong soaps.

When I used the blower it was at a down angle from the top. I then moved my way around the car doing the windows. And finished with the hood and trunk. The bottom was done with towels to avoid kicking dirt. Not that this was a problem after having just used it to clean the yard and roof hours before.

For those willing to try, give me your feed back. For everone else, we heard your side already, get over it.

T
TronX Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by TronX:
Now I just need a faster way of waxing.

A true "car guy" doesn't worry about how long it takes to wax a vehicle. It's all about making things perfect .

Mark

A TRUE car guy would have a car worth his time. We are talking about a Mercury Mistake 98 2.0 Zetec 4 banger here that gets food from the store and movies on weekends..HAH!

I'd like to wax my car every 6 months, but the thought of spending ALL DAY is just not an option for me with 4 little kids running around..LOL.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
ONCE AGAIN.. I don't care if it was onlt $50 to buy the freakin' car.. its still a car, and people with the mentality like the one posted above is a good portion of why we have "beaters" and nobody parks next to them, etc.

TAKE CARE OF ANY car.. who cares what it "is" or how old..

My car is pushing 7.. does that mean I am not a "true car guy"?

I wax my car once a week, regardless.. rain or shine.

wash it at least three times a week, and EVERY DAY I use detailers spray, and go over the entire car.. (including ALL door edges (open the door, and look at the painted locations on the inside edge).. EVERYWHERE there is paint, I wax... and detail once a day.

I don't get some peoples philosophy of "it's only money" or "its old, who cares..."

HOW do you think your beater GOT to be crappy looking? by not taking care of it when it was NEW...

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Either that is Ghetto or redneck!!! sounds like something we would do up here, where we all rednecks and do stipid tings like this but i like this one. that is sweet!!! just gotta get me a leaf blower now.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
L
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
L
I use my leaf blower to clean off my truck but its almost 15 years old and goes off-road so who cares, however, it still leaves no scratches In the end it all comes down to its your car so do what YOU want as for me i'll continue to use my leaf blower to blow grass of clients sidewalks to dry my car and to fan bonfires with extra air.

1998 mercury Mystique 2.5L with that stupid slush box only engine mod so far a optimized tb dark blue with midnight blue leather interior finnaly got rid of the door ding guards and pinstripe
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard