Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by 99Mystique ATX:
I guess thats a possibility, but I doubt it as it would've had to have been a pretty small screw or washer or whatever.

It could've gotten embedded in the cylinder... That happened to my brother in his old mustang.

i would not be so sure about that. my car has eaten a few screws from my LIM that came loose. ~3-4 of them. still runs fine. so either it disinigrated or its not lodged in the exhaust system somewhere

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Well when we first started the car, because the tapping was definitely coming from the top end, not the block, I suspected lifter tap....then when I got to thinking about it the had been sitting for about 4 days. Gravity probably drained most of the oil out of the heads.

So today I went and got 5 quarts of cheapo oil 1 quart of Automatic transmission fluid and a normal Fram oil filter and then my normal 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30.

Then I filled up with 4.5 quarts of the cheap oil and the AT fluid, let it run for about 15 minutes at idle, drained and put the Mobile 1 in.

Surprisingly enough that motor is squeaky clean, because after I drained the flush fluids, they were nearly as clear as they were when they went in. Unlike the flushes that were done on my PGT

In anycase, my initial reaction was right, simply lifters tapping due to the poor initial lubrication. But thanks for the replies guys

--Adam

P.S. It's HIGHLY unlikely that one of the LIM bolts made it through the intake valves and back out the exhaust valves......they're like 2 inches long! I could see a TB Plate screw making it through, but anything larger than that would be pretty hard pressed to get through the intake valves.

B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Gforce, I'd be checking your oiling system after listening to that motor. 4 days should not make the engine sound like that. It sounds more like you've got the old problem of the timing chain tensioners losing pressure and collapsing rather than just oil drain back. FYI, my car usually sits for months at a time and does not sound like that at start up.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
did you look in the oil for metal shavings or any foreign objects ?? and if there was a bolt or screw and it did make it out the exhaust just take off your cat to see if its in there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard