Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I am looking to switch from syn to regular oil at 65k miles. Would anyone strongly NOT recommend doing this due to any leakage or performance concerns, etc? The car has been changed since day 1 with Mobil 1.

1998 Black CSVT, 75k mi
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I dont think you understand. I want to switch FROM Syn TO regular oil. Not the other way around.

1998 Black CSVT, 75k mi
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
Is there any certain reason you want to do this?

Silverfrost 99 SE Sport ATX
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Sorry, that was not the thread I thought it was. This did come up recently, and there were referenced to people who have done it, even switching back and forth. The general agreement was that it's best to not mess around and keep your engine running the good stuff. It's better for it (most think), so why change?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I cannot justify spending $40 to do an oil change for this cheap car. I just want to know if there are any negative affects of switching to regular oil from Syn. Let me know if you find the thread. I cannot find it.

1998 Black CSVT, 75k mi
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
I dont think you'd be harming anything by the switch. You may end up losing a mpg or two but thats all I can think of, there may be more...

What made you decide to switch out from Syn? What do you plan on switching to? I would think with your millage the Val max life would be a good candidate.

Im on the opposite side of the spectrum, I just switched to syn at 186,000 when I bought my SVT as I figure it will help clear some of the build up from the high millage, and I dont need to change the oil as often.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by gliderjoe:
I cannot justify spending $40 to do an oil change for this cheap car. I just want to know if there are any negative affects of switching to regular oil from Syn. Let me know if you find the thread. I cannot find it.

opps I didnt read your post until after i posted!

There is a thread in the gerneral forum that people claim receiving full mobile one oil changes at walmart for $22 or so. Might be something to look into if you dont want to spend the money on maintenance and still get the good stuff.

Even so, if you switch to regular your going to need to change it twice as often. If your not doing the changes yourself then its gonna cost the same or possibly more...

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by gliderjoe:

I wouldn't bother changing. It's a great car and it's cheap for preventative maintenece. A Motorcraft filter and 6 qts of Mobil 1 should only be $30, not $40. And we've seen a couple oil analyses that show 5000-7500 miles being okay on Mobil 1. Hopefully I will confirm this soon. Save yourself some time and money by going to 6000 miles or 7500 miles on Mobil 1. It'll be at least as good as more frequent changes with regular oil, and a lot less time and effort.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
yeah i only pay about 30 for the filter and oil, and i change it myself so that saves me too.

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc

Link Copied to Clipboard