Next Thread
Print Thread
#1223665 03/23/05 04:12 AM
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
This weekend I'm going to replace my e-brake cables because they snapped or stretched. I found some from napa for 30 a piece. Is there other pieces I should consider replacing at the same time, like the return spring ect ect? I'm basically fixing it up to sell and am not sure what normally comes with the cables. I remember seeing something about a kit ford sells that replaces the return springs and some covers for a cable that operates the parking brake lever on the caliper. Would this be available from say napa or autozone because they do next day delivery unlike the ford stealership near me, plus charge half of what ford would. I'd talk Bill or someone else from signature but I don't have enough time to wait for them to be shipped.

Secondly, I'm going to be replacing my rear passenger side caliper and was wondering if the calipers from autozone or napa would be sufficient, because I know they can get them. Just not sure if they are just like the oem ones or not. Anyone ever buy them? Or am I better off going to a junk yard and pulling one off of any year tour with rear discs?

Thanks for all of your input.

AIM...BKapp17 98 T-red SVT Steeda Gutted Pre-cats, no resonator Painted Dash Angel Eye Fogs Painted Chrome ring / headlights Looking for a t-red pre98 trunk lid
#1223666 03/23/05 07:51 AM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I had problems with the e-brake on my 95 Contour. A very common early Contour problem is that corrosion and freezing causes the cables to stick. Ford has a repair kit just for this. I ordered the "Cable Service" kit from fordpartsonline.com

They do not list it in their catalog but if you send them an email they will give you a quote.

The part# for the kit is F6RZ-2A635-AA

My cost was $38.49 + $7.50 shipping for $45.99 total.

The kit contains better sealed cables and two MUCH stronger return springs.

Good Luck!

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
#1223667 03/23/05 01:26 PM
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
I created a post about this about 2 weeks ago. Should be helpful. I too, ordered and received the handbrake cable kit from Ford but only received the twin cables after the Y-Junction with brand new return springs.

I am calling Steve at Tousley Ford again today to find out why I did not receive the end that goes into the hand-brake lever which is the one I need. Still replacing the rest anyway though, since I am upgrading my entire brake system and it cannot hurt...

XL

#1223668 03/23/05 11:10 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
I had problems with the e-brake on my 95 Contour. A very common early Contour problem is that corrosion and freezing causes the cables to stick. Ford has a repair kit just for this. I ordered the "Cable Service" kit from fordpartsonline.com

They do not list it in their catalog but if you send them an email they will give you a quote.

The part# for the kit is F6RZ-2A635-AA

My cost was $38.49 + $7.50 shipping for $45.99 total.

The kit contains better sealed cables and two MUCH stronger return springs.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I just ordered it!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
#1223669 03/25/05 03:46 AM
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I looked up that number when I went to ford and they said it only includes one cable and no springs. But I ordered it anyway since a few people on here did the same and got the two cables and springs. Hope the guy there just doesn't know what hes talking about. We'll see tomorrow. By the way, the total was $60, which was expected since it was direct from the ford dealership. Better be the kit!

AIM...BKapp17 98 T-red SVT Steeda Gutted Pre-cats, no resonator Painted Dash Angel Eye Fogs Painted Chrome ring / headlights Looking for a t-red pre98 trunk lid
#1223670 03/25/05 07:29 AM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
the kit includes the 2 cables and 2 springs but it was more like 60-80. the 40 price is per side of the car. thats what signature told me. dont quote me on the prices. too lazy to find my invoice

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
#1223671 03/26/05 06:14 AM
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Anyone have any experience with the cable attached directly to the parking brake handle? I replaced the cables and springs in the rear but I can still pull the handle all the way up and the car still move on a steep slope. Is the ratchet mechanism adjustable? Or is that other cable stretched? I noticed its covered by some other plates besides the metal heat shields above the exhaust. I'm going to take the center console out tomorrow to take a look at the handle itself.

#1223672 03/26/05 02:15 PM
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
If I remember it is not adjustable. You have to have the two rear cables off to remove the center cable. It stretches up over the handle. Once you remove console, you will see what I mean..

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
#1223673 03/26/05 06:57 PM
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Well guys, it turns out that the cables grommet fell out of the slot on the ebrake handle. So I put it back in the slot and secured some screws in there to help guide the cable and to keet that grommet in its place. Also, about my other post about the brakes not feeling right. I bled the new rear caliper again, this time pumping it a few times letting more brake fluid escape, then made sure there was enough in the resevoir. It all works perfectly now. Saved myself over $700 bucks doing it myself, and the rear cables didn't really need to be replaced. Didn't hurt though.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard