Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
CSVT#49 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Ok I'll guess I'll consider what you guys are saying for a little while. I'm going to attempt to make a pro/con argument for both situations of keeping the SVT and replacing the motor and seats and the latter transfering the CSVT parts to the regular tour.

Keeping the CSVT

Pros
-a pretty sweet car with that was built by Fords Special Vehicle Team (SVT)
-When finished it will have an engine with zero miles mated to a manual transmission
-suspension that is far superior to a regular tour and compareable to that of my SHO
-4 wheel disc brakes
-An orignal CSVT (minus the engine and seats) with matching numbers and VIN
-Can sell my regular tour straight up for cash with my SHO once its finished
-I can sell my SHO right away as planned

Cons
-engine will cost a decent amount of cash $1200+ which already exceeds the amount of money I paid for the CSVT with the blown engine.
-With the current space limitations I have installing the engine myself will not be possible or will take atleast 1-2 months to complete if attempted, which if done will take up all of the space in my garage. Also if I do not do it and end up paying someone to do it, it will cost a great deal of money.
-I will have to buy all the seats for the car, which if done will probably range between $350-$700 depending the route I take (aftermarket front seats or factory, the rear will have to be factory.)
-Overall lots of money that I currently don't have.
-I will have to run premium 92+ octane gas like my SHO which is currently at $2.15 a gallon

Transfering the Parts to the regular Tour

Pros
-Won't cost a dime, all parts are already in my possesion.
-I will as far as the externals of the car are concerned have a CSVT looking car for 3/4 less of the price of what a used CSVT costs.
-The engine in the car is already running and will require no major part replacements. Basically free of defects and has been regularly inspected and maintained.
-Will be able to sell the CSVT parts not used on the car and most likely make all of my money back from the initial purchase and thus breaking even.
-I will still be able to run unleaded regular gas

Cons
-I wont have a true CSVT and the performance of the engine under the hood will be minimal at best
-It will take time to part out the remaining CSVT and I will most likely have parts laying around
-I will have to mess with shipping a lot of parts freight, which is a pain in the butt.
-I wont be able to sell my SHO right away as planned

Well thats all I can really think of. As you can see the cons of keeping the CSVT are quite a large list. Although the Pros for keeping it are quite a long list too. But the truly out weighing factor is the money issue.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Con of keeping the regular tour:
ATX

end of discussion.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by SHOTIME2669:

Now to the real question. I can't settle for just moderate performance.

Umm that IS your problem. Learn to drive a manual. You are doing squat with an ATX. Ask russell-3L that did a 3L swap w/ ATX. Still slow as balls so now he's going back through it and mating it to an MTX. Oh and mod the SVT! Not the the other one!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Correct me if I'm wrong....

You have 3 cars: SHO, SVT, contour, 2 of which are running and driving.

My advice, sell the SHO or contour. Use cash from sale to fund getting the SVT running and driving, in the mean time (1-2 months as stated) drive the contour for daily purposes.

When SVT is satisfactory, sell contour.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

98 C-SVT
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by bohdi:
Correct me if I'm wrong....

You have 3 cars: SHO, SVT, contour, 2 of which are running and driving.

My advice, sell the SHO or contour. Use cash from sale to fund getting the SVT running and driving, in the mean time (1-2 months as stated) drive the contour for daily purposes.

When SVT is satisfactory, sell contour.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Agreed. Theres your summary. You should get enough cash from the SHO to fix the SVT... drive the tour til the SVT is done. Sell the tour off when your done with the CSVT. Bam, 1 car that is absolutly hot! Between sellign the two rides, you'll probably break even all together or come ahead a bit. Thats when you buy some Corbeaus.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
L
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
L
you said that gas price was a con of keeping the svt well if you think about it its only a dollar or two more each time you fill up a small price to pay to be lucky enough to drive a CSVT

10 gal x $2.27 (price of 92 octane here) =$22.70 highest octane

10 gal x $2.07 (price of 90 octane here) =$20.70 lowest octane

difference of $2

1998 mercury Mystique 2.5L with that stupid slush box only engine mod so far a optimized tb dark blue with midnight blue leather interior finnaly got rid of the door ding guards and pinstripe
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
He wants performance and he's crying over gas prices. Give me a break!!!!!!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Suspension on CSVT > Suspension on SHO!!

I agree with everyone on here, don't tear the SVT apart.. If you don't want the SVT, sell it for a little more than you paid for it to someone that can keep it on the road.. A motor(if you do the work yourself) won't cost $1200.. A 3L can be found for ~$400, and you add a few things(bearings & gaskets) and call it a day.. Some new seats, and you have yourself a nice SVT for $4k total..

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Stazi:
Too bad the ATX mated up to ANYTHING automatically makes it an TURD!

I say rebuild the SVT with a 3L Engine using the SVT cams and sell everythign else. Throw in some aftermarket bucket seats (GOOD ONES!) like Sparco, Corbeau, or Momo, and sell the turd with an ATX. If you want speed nothing short of greasing up the ATX contour and pushing it down a mineshaft, will ever make it fast.

i dont drive a turd, its just black and looks like one.

but back to the post, what you need to do first is tear into the SVT and see how much damage the engine actually has. like said above most of the parts from the regular will fit the SVT.

Depending on what the damage is you could swap over the part from the regular contour.

Quote:

-engine will cost a decent amount of cash $1200+ which already exceeds the amount of money I paid for the CSVT with the blown engine.

where did you get that price for a 3L. you can get them for cheap. i just looked on car-parts.com and see them with less then 35k for about 300 bucks. add 100 for shipping 400 bucks for an engine. Drop that in the SVT swaping some parts off. The swap can be done in a very short time. I know of some people that swapped a 3L in 20 hours. So for the average person we will say ~5-6 days at most.

Then you sell the parts off the SVT you did not use, sell the regular contour, sell the SHO. After that you got the money for the seats if you have not already gotten some.

About the seats, Why do you need a back seat, who will be riding back there, besides without it, it weights less.

radio WTF, you got a SVT, need i say more.

you cant be serious about buying premium, what you think those cars you want to buy run on?? not regular thats for sure. if you want performance you gonna have to use the good go juice.

you will come out far better keeping the svt and selling the other cars.

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by getlucky151:
The extrude honed ports, LIM and UIM, just to name 2. If I were you, Id drop a fairly new 3L in it, and maybe later on down the road, put a turbo on it!

I agree... a 3L SVT even without a Turbo goes like crazy.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard