Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
5-speed only with the 4-cylinder. Ford is learning from GM and needs to STOP!

98 Contour V6 MTX, T-Red, 150k mi. Pic SVT Dual Exhaust, KKM Intake, Donnely Mirror, Dension DMP3 Player w/80GB of MP3s, Wheelskin 95 F-150 91 Mustang GT 06 Honda Shadow Aero
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
MB has had a 7-speed auto for a while now. It has the highest torque rating of all their trannys, IIRC, that's why it's the only available on the most powerful models. I personally have a 3-pedal minimum, but I'm afraid that when I'm not much older I'll be the traditionalist with an outdated manual while everyone else has a DSG or CVT or some new fancy auto or semi-auto. Oh well, at least no one else can borrow my car then!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by 975Altima:
Autos are overtaking manuals, soon no car will come with one, expect maybe sport's_car's. Technology is enhancing them to the point that manuals will only be converaation pieces.

Thing is there is a certain degree of control that having a true manual transmission with a clutch gives you. There are things you can do, and especially ways that you can react when the car edges out of control that can not be done with an automatic. You can't, for instance, give a little clutch when pulling a load, or going up hill, you can't near instantaneously through it into 2nd when you need to.
Also ... from parked you cannot go FORWARD without engaging the damned REVERSE lights!!

P.S. Semi-autos don't count!

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Ford is still developing its' next-generation mass-produced MTX. The Fusion should be getting the 6-Speed MTX in 2007. It's when the Mazda6 (basically the same car) is slated to get it -- along with the 3.5L Duratec.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:
Autos are overtaking manuals, soon no car will come with one, expect maybe sport's_car's. Technology is enhancing them to the point that manuals will only be converaation pieces.

I highly doubt the extinction of the 5-speed...as long as their are sports cars around (which will always be the case) and people wishing to feel like their driving one (which will always be the case) there will aslways be a market for sticks.

This isn't like electric starters replacing hand cranks or coil packs replacing distributors OR fuel injection... well, I could list equipment evolution for a very long time. However, MTs are not anachronisms, unlike carbs, distibutors, Pitman arm steering, et cetera. It's a preference, and as long as there are enough manual transmission afficionados around, we'll still get to row through the gears ourselves. Heck, if Buick and DaimlerChrysler are reverting to RWD, maybe more MTs will show up again, kind of like a nostalgia movement.

Black/tan early '98 Contour SE Sport; dead-dead-deadsky (gone, split, outta here, afterlife kids) '05 Pontiac Sunfire; 2.2L Ecotec, ATX, well-equipped Mom also has black/tan '98 Mystique LS; V6, ATX, Alpine CD deck
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by April Thompson:
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:

I highly doubt the extinction of the 5-speed...as long as their are sports cars around (which will always be the case) and people wishing to feel like their driving one (which will always be the case) there will aslways be a market for sticks.

This isn't like electric starters replacing hand cranks or coil packs replacing distributors OR fuel injection... well, I could list equipment evolution for a very long time. However, MTs are not anachronisms, unlike carbs, distibutors, Pitman arm steering, et cetera. It's a preference, and as long as there are enough manual transmission afficionados around, we'll still get to row through the gears ourselves. Heck, if Buick and DaimlerChrysler are reverting to RWD, maybe more MTs will show up again, kind of like a nostalgia movement.

It's not quite the same though. There is a significantly greater amount of effort required for a manual gearbox, and on top of that there is learning. Many younger people nowadays do not know properly how to change gear, let alone how to use the gears properly for road conditions/control. If manual's are to make a return, then there has to be greater education on how to use them properly, so that they are less taxing to the driver, and so that the driver does less damage to them. Clutches are a great example too, I've known people to switch from a manual to an automatic because they never want to pay for clutch repair again ... even though frequent atx fluid changes cost them more in the long run!
FWD to RWD isn't as taxing, for the average driver it makes no difference which wheels control the output of force.

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
I've been told Ford is has outsourced all transmission work, let someone else take the heat for bad transmissions.

How about Audi's cross, DSG direct shift gearbox. Looks to use twin (concentric mounted)clutch packs, so one gears set is always under power while the other is changing. Good for high horse power high dollar cars. All solenoid controlled.
BorgWarner's claims the DualTronic to be cheaper to build than an Automatic?
CVT's scares me, I've yet to hear of anyone having great success with these and manufactures have been trying for how many years. I beleive as far back as the 1940's I read, unfortunately forget were I read it. At least 20-25 years I remember noise was being made.
Maybe ZF has found magic or Ford's once great automatics (before FWD) falls flat on it's face????

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard