Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1164441 01/24/05 04:53 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Trying to find out what kind of tire everyone uses for auto x.

I know if I go R Compound I'd like to get the Yokohama A032R (225/50/16), anyone have experience with this tire, or better R compounds?

Also for those of you running auto x and can't afford the fancy rubber (which will probably be me ) what size are you running? (in the 16 inch variety) I would think 225/45/16 would have an advantage due to the smaller sidewall, thoughts?

Finally for those running summers what tire are you running and how do you find it?

Thanks
Bridge

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
#1164442 01/24/05 05:44 AM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Practically everyone I know runs Falken Azenis.

#1164443 01/24/05 05:50 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I have also heard that the Khumo Victoracers are decent for autox.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
#1164444 01/24/05 06:21 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by CHF_Slapaho:
Practically everyone I know runs Falken Azenis.

On an E1 rim which would be better in the Azenis, 205/55/16 or 215/45/16?

No doubt the Azenis is quite possibly the stickiest "street" tire, but for the price of the 215/45/16 you could almost get the Yoko A032R's....

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
#1164445 01/24/05 12:11 PM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Honestly, the Azenis are not really street tires. They simply have the treadwear rating inflated (so that they're allowed in SCCA street tire class). They grip right about the same level as the Yok A048R's and Toyo RA1's, though heat management doesn't seem quite as good (that may not matter to you, depending on the speeds of your auto-x course).

#1164446 01/24/05 02:16 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by gotapex:
Honestly, the Azenis are not really street tires. They simply have the treadwear rating inflated (so that they're allowed in SCCA street tire class). They grip right about the same level as the Yok A048R's and Toyo RA1's, though heat management doesn't seem quite as good (that may not matter to you, depending on the speeds of your auto-x course).

This is pretty much BS when you look at how long they last. "True" DOT R's grip better, too.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#1164447 01/24/05 04:08 PM
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
falkens are the most popular, but i didn't know they became that expensive in 16s. i run falkens on 15s and i like them. They're cheap (15s), good sticky tires, don't squeal much and keeps you in street class. since victoracers are slicks you end up racing in a more competitive group..
people always told me to learn with street tires first and not to use slicks when newbie, so you learn how the car handles and can improve your skills.

00 CSVT #390
#1164448 01/24/05 08:48 PM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by RogerB:

This is pretty much BS when you look at how long they last. "True" DOT R's grip better, too.

You've found them to last longer than what other DOT R?

#1164449 01/24/05 09:20 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

What do I know? I know people who've put 2 seasons on them and 10,000 road miles or more, to boot. There was an urban legend about them "really" being label-engineered R-DOTs when they first came out, and people were saying you'd have to be crazy to drive them on the street, etc. etc. It all turned out to be bull.

I know the UTQC ratings are subject to a bit of fudging, and not regulated by any central agency. Yeah, there's opportunity for abuse, there, but I thought this story died 2 years ago. Apparently your personal experience has been different.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#1164450 01/24/05 10:50 PM
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G

What do I know? I know people who've put 2 seasons on them and 10,000 road miles or more, to boot. There was an urban legend about them "really" being label-engineered R-DOTs when they first came out, and people were saying you'd have to be crazy to drive them on the street, etc. etc. It all turned out to be bull.

I know the UTQC ratings are subject to a bit of fudging, and not regulated by any central agency. Yeah, there's opportunity for abuse, there, but I thought this story died 2 years ago. Apparently your personal experience has been different.

Wow, that's excellent life! That's far longer than I get on my all season road tires.

I'm not doubting your experience. I'm just wondering which R tires you've found to be noticably shorter lifed than the Azenis.

I've found them to be very short lived on the track, matching the experience of some of the Lotus Elise and MR2 owners (some of them nationally ranked). I personally like roadracing more than auto-x, so I'm probably a bit harder on tires that have problem with heat. This being said, there shouldn't be that big of a difference though, I think.

I'm trying Pirelli Corsa's next:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard