Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1120351 12/02/04 10:06 PM
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
I installed a set of Bilstein struts on my 98 Contour SVT with stock springs. After installing the front struts, I noticed that the front of the car was higher than before the installation (maybe as much as a inch). The rear strut installation was normal. I've never seen this on any strut installation. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so what was done to correct the problem?

#1120352 12/02/04 10:44 PM
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
I too had those Bilsteins installed on my car as well, but I have the BAT "lowering" springs and my car too doesn't seem to sit much lower and if it does, its not much. From what I've been told is that the gas charge is so stiff in the Bilsteins that it actually keeps the spring up. I'm sure someone will either come in here and confirm what I heard or rip the hell out of it. BTW, how do you like the handling of it now and why didn't you install new springs while you were in there

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
#1120353 12/02/04 10:49 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
BTW, how do you like the handling of it now and why didn't you install new springs while you were in there

I'd also like to hear how you like it...soft springs with stiff struts...does it work together?

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
#1120354 12/03/04 01:23 AM
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
I've only had it on the road for a couple of miles. I had to drive it just to get a feel for what the headers did for performance. The car seemed to handle fine with stock SVT springs, but a couple of miles is no test. I probably didn't need the dampening the Bilsteins provided considering I didn't change the springs, but I didn't want to lower the car . . . I'm already having problems getting the car on ramps for oil changes the way it is. You say you had Bilsteins installed on your car with the lowering springs . . . is the gap between the tire and the fender larger in the front than in the rear of the car? I bought the struts from BAT and Eric is really fighting the possiblilty of return. He says he's never heard of this problem. Have you ever called BAT to let them know about your experience with these struts?

#1120355 12/03/04 04:47 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
It's been posted and noted several times the Bilsteins do not "sag" as much other other struts due to their design and very high dampening strength.

I do not see them being a problem with stock springs. Actually they might help make up for some of the difficiencies of the stock springs.
I'd really pair them with BAT or H&R's though. If they do raise ride height with stock springs that itself will not be good for handling.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#1120356 12/03/04 01:12 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Keep in mind, the suspension always takes a little while to settle after you've taken it apart. I have th4e BAT struts with stock springs, and the SVT looked like a 4x4 for a couple of weeks.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1120357 12/03/04 02:22 PM
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
I don't doubt that the Bilstein issue has been raised on this forum . . . I'm sorry I missed that, but I don't frequent the forum and I rarely have questions. I've explained the raise in ride height in the front only to Eric at BAT. I'm getting the hard sell and am being led to believe that my problem is unique . . . except that I'm finding that others who have had the same kind of problems with the same struts from the same vendor. That is useful information regarding the problem I'm having. I don't get the settling thing. How does a car settle? In my view of suspensions, the springs bear the weight and the shock absorber portion of the strut dampen the springs for control and ride quality. Trusting that a car would settle is an incredible leap of faith. When would one decide it was fully settled out and get the car aligned . . . or would you align it twice. I don't understand.

#1120358 12/03/04 02:33 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
No..the car will settle as the struts "loosen" up. Bilstiens are high pressure gas struts..hence the ability to keep the car flat and neutral. But the pay off is what you are seeing..the high pressure wants to keep the struts at their fully extended height. Another option is to get, as Demon has said, H&Rs or BAT springs. The Bilstiens will lessen the drop that those springs usually give you.

Oh...BTW...I'll have some BAT springs available in about 2 weeks...

Oh...and another BTW...since the struts are fully operational...I doubt that Eric at BAT will take them nack...why would he? You got the strut you ordered...

T-red E0 SVT ATS 17x7.5 Comp Lites, 215/45/17 Falken 512s, Ausi Bar, Boxed subframe, Poli all around, Warmonger's Opt Y, Opt TB, AFE, DMD, NGK's, Bendix Ti, Alpine, Polk, Mobil-1 0W-40, Redline MTL.
#1120359 12/03/04 02:56 PM
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
Eric agreed to take the Bilsteins back . . .the reason . . . realizing the customer that bought them is uphappy with the product and keeping a customer happy that has done business with BAT for 20 years and spent thousands of dollars with them is worth satifying. BAT has always made it right with the very few problems I've had. That is a key element in getting and keeping customers.

#1120360 12/03/04 07:44 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by gasmaster:
Eric agreed to take the Bilsteins back . . .the reason . . . realizing the customer that bought them is uphappy with the product and keeping a customer happy that has done business with BAT for 20 years and spent thousands of dollars with them is worth satifying. BAT has always made it right with the very few problems I've had. That is a key element in getting and keeping customers.

Amen.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard