Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1071828 10/07/04 10:24 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Here is the Lab data for the long change interval on the wife's Z24. (2.4L DOHC I-4)

Mobil 1 5W30 Oil & Bosch synthetic media filter. (K&N drop in for air)

It went 6 months and over 9500 miles.

I am posting this for all the folks that claim they "HAVE" to change the oil every 3 months or 3000 miles whichever comes first no matter what.

Starting with an excerpt from the comments from the technician:

"We didn't find much if any change in the sample compared to your last one, which is most impressive considering the oil was in use about 3300 miles more. No contaminants and air & oil filter are working exceptional."

This list will include normal wear metal amounts followed by universal averages (based on a 3k mile change btw)

Aluminum: 3 / 3
Chromium: 1 / 1
Iron: 20 / 18
Copper: 8 / 5
Lead: 3 / 4
Tin: 0 / 1
Silicon: 8 / 9

All other trace metals at 0.

Besides the "additive" elements found in the oil of course.

SUS Viscosity: 60.2 (55 low - 62 max)
Flashpoint: 390 (low > 365)
Fuel: less the .5%
Antifreeze & Water: 0
Insolubles: .3%

It looks like their previous recommendation of 10-12k is plenty safe. I think I'll stay at 5-6 months. I don't like past 4 months really but circumstances dictated a longer interval this time and now I know that's well within the safe range.

The SVT will stay at 4 months.
Matter of fact I will be changing that in the next week or two and getting my first sample on the 3L. It probably won't be a good baseline though since the engine has so few miles on it. (over 7k since rebuild and ~13k total miles) It will show how well the oil is holding up though. The 2.5L was VERY HARSH on the oil.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Nice writeup. I am actually at almost 5 months on the SVT with probably 5k miles. Mobil 1 5w30. I'll be changing that out this weekend though. Maybe I should run a sample down to blackstone labs, as it's about 5 miles from my house

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
That just reaffirms my belief about Mobil 1. I remember when Mobil 1 came out on the market, they said in their ads that you could go 15,000 miles between oil changes. Now you don't see them quoting any kind of mileage. I contacted them and asked them a couple of years ago what they recommend for oil change intervals and they wimped out saying to go with the manufactureres recommendations. I change my Mobil 1 every 10,000 and the oil filter every 5,000 miles. At 5,000 miles the oil is just getting that brown tinge to it. At 10,000 its looks black like normal oil at 3,000.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Well, it's a known fact that the manufactureres recommendations of 3000 miles per oil change is more of a dumb safty rule for the average car. It depends on the age of the engine, weather/heat, driving styles/wear ect. I don't normally have my oil changed right at 3K. For me I just keep an eye on the color of the oil. If it starts to look bad right at 3K then I have it changed. If I've been driving around all winter and it still has a nice color then there should be no rush. These days though you will find that VCT engines might need to be changed at 3K no matter what though.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I remember readings somewhere where these NASA guys / OIl freaks would go a whole year on Mobil 1 and just change the filter at 6 months. I'm still gonna do the 3months or 3k miles...I have too much $$$$$ invested in my vechiles :-) Plus they live hard lives already.

Ryan Trollin!
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
www.bobistheoilguy.com rocks. FWIW I just had my SVT's oil analyzed. Looks like around 7000 mi. would be safe. Not sure if I'll take it that long anyway, though.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Viss1:
www.bobistheoilguy.com rocks. FWIW I just had my SVT's oil analyzed. Looks like around 7000 mi. would be safe. Not sure if I'll take it that long anyway, though.

Yeah, they rock, but they've been carping about K&N filters for a long time. Allegation? They don't filter worth a crap. Data? High "silicon" readings in oil analyses. (High silicon could be caused by many things.)

Demon, is that "insolubles" figure what we should look at in terms of air filter effectiveness?

And, did you change the oil filter at some point?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
I use mobil 1 in my ATX and Amsoil 5w30 in the crank. Woud it be safe to assume that i will be getting similar benefits of longevity from Amsoil without having it tested?

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I change mine at 3k or so mainly because I do almost all city driving. Also I start the car and shut it off a lot daily so heat up cool down breaks down oil. Now my grandparents with their 03 Interpid go 7000 between oil changes, mainly city and they dont have any problems.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by RogerB:
Demon, is that "insolubles" figure what we should look at in terms of air filter effectiveness?

And, did you change the oil filter at some point?

That, plus silicon, a few trace elements I had at 0, and any contaminents which they said were at 0.

No I did not change the filter. It was my second time using the Bosch synthetic media filter (~$4 at Autozone) and I am very happy with the results. I had used only Pure One's before that. (K&N for the SVT)

Being as it is only a small to mid sized filter I was impressed. I would Not have let it go longer personally even though the oil itself showed it could be extended.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard