Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
The most popular entry level cinema projector that everyone seems to give high ratings to on the AVS forums is the InFocus 4805 unit.
Here's their sticky thread on the subject: InFocus 4805

Although it's still NOT true HDTV (true would have 1280 x 720 native res), this seems to be the best bang for your buck and still generates very good resolution. It will accept HDTV signals, it just scales the images to fit it's 854 x 480 resolution 16:9 display. -This concept is just like cjbaldw was explaining. Here's some screenshots of the 4805 with a really good Silverstar screen: 4805 screenshots

The chaepest TRUE HDTV 1280 x 720 native resolution projector I could find was the Sharp XV-Z9000U projector, and a refurbished one is $2895 and a new one is $4495 !

This is the reason why I instead got a used CRT projector off eBay (Sony DataEX 1272q) for mine, because I spent $700 and found a nice unit w/ under 1000 hours on the tubes, guaranteed no CRT tube 'phosphor burn', and it plays 1600 x 1200 resolution max. I did have to buy a video processor/scaler/deinterlacer though to add on, to improve picture to be it's best (to get rid of the jagged lines from the interlaced signal). The only cons to this machine is it's lack of, or very cumbersome portability factor (weighs maybe 300 lbs?), and it's a bear to set up and converge the three rasters perfectly, but once set up, the picture quality is outstanding, better than any other projector I've seen. Maybe for you though, the Infocus 4805 would be the one to check out. It's claimed to be better by far than the X1, according to the gurus on AVS forum

'95 CONTOUR SE -Enkei 16s -SVT wannabe -Dual escapes w/ 2 1/2" stainless tips -True LED taillight conversion -Audi Xenon Projector Retrofit -Mp3 deck, dual 10s
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Josch:
The most popular entry level cinema projector that everyone seems to give high ratings to on the AVS forums is the InFocus 4805 unit.
Here's their sticky thread on the subject: InFocus 4805

Although it's still NOT true HDTV (true would have 1280 x 720 native res), this seems to be the best bang for your buck and still generates very good resolution. It will accept HDTV signals, it just scales the images to fit it's 854 x 480 resolution 16:9 display. -This concept is just like cjbaldw was explaining. Here's some screenshots of the 4805 with a really good Silverstar screen: 4805 screenshots

The chaepest TRUE HDTV 1280 x 720 native resolution projector I could find was the Sharp XV-Z9000U projector, and a refurbished one is $2895 and a new one is $4495 !

This is the reason why I instead got a used CRT projector off eBay (Sony DataEX 1272q) for mine, because I spent $700 and found a nice unit w/ under 1000 hours on the tubes, guaranteed no CRT tube 'phosphor burn', and it plays 1600 x 1200 resolution max. I did have to buy a video processor/scaler/deinterlacer though to add on, to improve picture to be it's best (to get rid of the jagged lines from the interlaced signal). The only cons to this machine is it's lack of, or very cumbersome portability factor (weighs maybe 300 lbs?), and it's a bear to set up and converge the three rasters perfectly, but once set up, the picture quality is outstanding, better than any other projector I've seen. Maybe for you though, the Infocus 4805 would be the one to check out. It's claimed to be better by far than the X1, according to the gurus on AVS forum

The Infocus 4805 is a trumped up version of the X1 unless they've updated it. Maybe some different software/firmware is available specific to video (technically the X1 isn't manufactured for video specifications - more for PC presentations). I'm 99% confident that the X1 and 4805 use the exact same 1st gen DLP chip.

The cheapest true 1280x720 HDTV ready FP that I know of is the Sanyo Z2, it's an LCD projector, not a DLP projector. I'd highly suggest you try out both a DLP FP and an LCD FP in your home if possible to figure out which is best for your eye. Each technology has it's problems. The cheaper DLP units are prone to rainbow effects due to slower color wheels, whereas the cheaper LCD units are prone to screendoor effect. Some folks are more sensitive to rainbows, others screendoors, some both, some neither. The only way to find out is to try and buy...

Best Regards, HitchHiker 05 Altima SE-R - smoke, 6-spd - Fujita CAI Best stock times: 1/4: 14.366 @ 98.99MPH - 2.366 60 ft 1/8: 9.373 @ 79.84MPH - 2.366 60 ft
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
My brother just found this projector: Panasonic PT-L500U the other day, and it costs only $1500 at costco.com and it has TRUE HDTV native 1280x720 res. Also received very high ratings. All the ratings say that it doesn't have 'screen door effect' which is common w/ many older LCD projectors. This would be my pic for one to try, if I was getting one. My bro sais he might go pick one up and try it when he gets back home to D.C. from his vacation here in WA. I wish he could get it here so I could see it but he don't have room for that in w/ all his other baggage

'95 CONTOUR SE -Enkei 16s -SVT wannabe -Dual escapes w/ 2 1/2" stainless tips -True LED taillight conversion -Audi Xenon Projector Retrofit -Mp3 deck, dual 10s
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
There's also a 700u that Panasonic offers that's a little brighter and higher contrast rating, but it's a few hundred more if you wanna get into that one.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I thought HD resolution is 1900x1080. Right now, we only have 1080i or 720p, but some day there will be 1080p and your true HD 720p is not true. Anyway, pick your budget and go from there. There are great projectors from $800 to $20k.

M
MxRacer Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
M
my boss is going to let me borrow the company's X1 this weekend, and i will be able to get an honest opinion (my own!) of it then. i've had some interesting other developments since then.... i've been looking at the hitachi 51" RPTV, and the picture is just amazing.... it's really an attractive unit and i think i can get it for @ $1400 out the door. but.... there's another option on the table now as well.... my sister in law can get some a/v equipment wholesale, and apparently i can get a 42" JVC plasma for $1800 out the door!! which is mighty tempting! but i'm still going to hold out until i see how the X1 looks in my house.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
M
MxRacer Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
M
well, i got the infocus x1. found what was basically the last one in the state at CC for $749. i absolutely love it!! right now i'm projecting it on an off-white wall until i decide what route i want to go for a screen (though it's still pretty awesome even on just the wall). i fabbed up a ceiling mount for it today, and preliminarily ran the wire for it. here's some pics (discovery channel HD)....

http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/HT 001.jpg

http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/HT 012.jpg

here's a pic for comparison... 32" RCA home theater series TV underneath.

http://www.msu.edu/~camero52/HT 010.jpg

i still have some room to make it bigger (about another foot). i just need to plumb the wiring, decide on a screen, and i'm good to go!

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
HDFP oo la la!

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
M
MxRacer Offline OP
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
HDFP oo la la!

well it's not a true HD setup, as the projector isn't HD. but it does have the farajouda (sp) chipset, which is the next best thing!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard