Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
ok that makes some more sense, if the spindle was bent chances are a correction couldn't be made with an alignment

yes bearing can be pressed in wrong, happened to my father and that is why he does it himself now

hopefully it works for you

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
The knuckle is quite strong but when I curbed my front right wheel it was the strut that bent. Keep this in mind too.

96LXV6 heavily un-modded due to family addition. 87Renault GTA convertible, chopped springs, Ford Premium Sound, but otherwise stock.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Well I do plan to replace my struts and spring around all four corners but I must get this basic maintenance done first. You know fix what is currently broke. Once done I will then ugrade. This has been a real tuff year for me and the tour.

1)alternator failed
2)o2 sensors had to be replaced'
3)axles replace because boot torn during alternator replacement
4)VSS sensor broke as well as speedo cable and took a week to find correct part but thank goodness it was not an atx failure.
5)replaced all mounts except the engine mount.
6) replaced one front brake assembly, bracket and caliper

the car needs a
1) new alarm for after a lightling strike it really started to act funny
2) head unit needs to be replaced
3) mentioned struts and springs
4) carpet on the floor needs to be resecured and/or amp wirings need to be redone so that carpet will fit properly
5) window weather stripping needs to be replaced on all four windows
6) steering bushings and end links may be replaced to firm up steering input response.
7) one of the plastic moldings on the c-piller (behind the rear window of the passenger side behind the driver next to the rear windshield has had one of its plastic connecting tabs worn away from removal one to many times that it no longer properly stays in place
8) cigarette lighter no longer works and so cannot use any 12volt acessories currently.
9) my six inch sub in a sealed 6X9 inch box now is making cracking noise but still produces enough bass for my tastes and so I might purchase a new 6.5 inch driver from adire "The Extremis 6 - the ultimate 8 Ohm midrange/midwoofer driver"
10)one of the cup holders is broken and so the hold unit needs to be replaced.
11) those things that have not yet failed but will in the future before 1-10 get taken care of.
12) the driver side rear view mirror makes a high pitched squeaking noise the going over bumps and needs to be oiled I guess

those are the list of things to fix in the up coming year

I know, I know why not just buy a new car? Well there is the issue of increased insurance, a car note, the car is now kept on the street due to a lack of parking, the car is driven daily now, there will be a new drive in the house, parts are still available for this car and so why not just keep it running, the tour is not a high theft car, I enjoy driving the car, and I get some sort of sick pleasure out of attending the car's needs. Go figure

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
well I received my spindle assembly today. It includes the hub on which the brake disk would be mounted on to and it has the bearing already pressed in. I will hopefully have the part mounted by this evening. Then the real test will come. Will that vibration still exist when rolling between 30-70 mph. If so I still have an open appointment with a ford dealer for the 11th of october to further look into this issue I am trying to resolve.

Also since the part is an updated part an end link purchase was necessary.

Last edited by contour_phoenix_when; 10/07/04 04:44 PM.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Well after a short drive on the highway the vibration is gone. Not completely though. And I cannot quite describe until I drive some more on the highway. I cannot wait to reach 100mph to observe what other vibrations are gone.

The old spindle bearing was really rusted. I wonder how often when I took it in to be replaced was it just regreased. But then again I wonder how one would regrease a sealed bearing. I will take a closer look at the spindle to see if there is any obvious damage. When comparing the old link with the new link the old link had more play within its movement. There is much less noise when going over bumps which might just be attributed to proper tightening of lossened parts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard