Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bellaco Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Can someone explain, or find a link to explain how the construction workers roll up their extension cords. I mean where there's a bunch of loops, and to unravel it you only have to pull on one end and let it undo itself.

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
It's just a coil, just like you should do a garden hose. The key is each new loop needs to be outside of the previous ones so it doesn't get snagged up. No major trick.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
B
Bellaco Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I think it's called the figure eight method. I cant find it anywhere on the web. Thanks, but I know what you mean, and thats not what I'm looking for.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Bellaco:
I think it's called the figure eight method. I cant find it anywhere on the web. Thanks, but I know what you mean, and thats not what I'm looking for.

I have seen the figure 8 method before, but I am not sure if there is a certain way to lay it. I think it will be fine as long as you keep running the cable in the same direction.

2003 Toyota Matrix 1972 Pontiac Ventura II "Sprint" 1998 SVT !SOLD!
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
ya..certain way to do everything. When you loop the cord, you have to keep from twisting it. Most peeps twist the hose/cord as they loop it and this makes things into a mess.
For an old cord, you probably will have to lay it outside on a sunny day to straighten it and unkink it. Then when you loop it, DON"T TWIST IT!

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I've seen what he's talking about. The cord looks like it's in a bunch of knots, rather than coiled. Then you just have to pull on one end of the cord and it will unravel itself. I've seen about a thousand of them at work, but don't know how to tie it either. I'll ask tomorrow if nobody replies by then.

Jonathan '96 Contour Zetec MTX 208,XXX miles
B
Bellaco Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by BlackSativa:
I've seen what he's talking about. The cord looks like it's in a bunch of knots, rather than coiled. Then you just have to pull on one end of the cord and it will unravel itself. I've seen about a thousand of them at work, but don't know how to tie it either. I'll ask tomorrow if nobody replies by then.

Thankyou, I was starting to think that I may have imagined it.

CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Roll them up? Mine all look like engaging puzzles.
Sean

'99 Silver SVT Contour (2000 miles since June, now needs new front brakes and bearings) '98 CBR900RR Again (Put away for the winter)
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
One way to coil the extension cord is to hold one hand up and separate the thumb and fingers. Use the V shape between the thumb and fingers to hold the extension cord. You can go around your elbow with each loop but not to tightly or you will not be able to get the extension cord off. I've seen people make larger loops by taking the other hand and holding it outstretched to their side for each loop; that way each loop is the same length but longer than going around the elbow. After you finish winding the extension cord leave enough cord to tie a loose knot to keep the extension cord from unwinding and getting tangled up. This way is simple and fast.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I've used the knot technique.. where it looks knotted
but you pull then end and it comes undone...
way to hard to describe in words.
unfortunately the cords were waay too long for this at my last job and our work trailer was equipt with 6 garden hose reels, and we reeled
all the cables up that way.

For Free looping, don't use the hand to elbow loop technique.
Too tight and causes twisting.

I hold one end in my left hand, extend right arm out along cord
bring it back in to meet left hand and that is one loop. do this each time, and your loops will be the same size, and should remain twist free.

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard