Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Keep it on-topic folks, this thread was interesting.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
#1032788 10/29/04 12:26 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
One more reason for me to save my money and leave my 2.5 in my car.

Agreed.
Imo I couldn't possibly do it right even if I had the knowledge to swap them (I'd rather have some years under my belt before swapping my own engine, and props to the guys who've done just that. I'm not running anyone over about 3L's )

#1032789 10/29/04 12:32 AM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I am keeping my 2.5. I have helped do 3L's before. And I will do mine when/if the time comes. It's a matter of necessity for most.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
Keep it on-topic folks, this thread was interesting.

-Lance

What were the oil change intervals of the 3L failure's ?

Could Zircon or this magic sand mixed 4k+ Mobil 1 be one cause ?

...lets keep it going

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
I Still Havent Torn The Old 2.5 Block Apart To Inspect The damage...But I Will Take Pics Of The Crank/Rod Bearings and see if they add to any of the theories posted here. Im Still Not Even Sure What The Cause Of My Motor Failure Was...All I Know Was That I Executed the blatantly ignorant task of shifting from fifth to third at high RPMs and then there was a loud ticking noise i believed to be a broken valvespring...timing was pulled way out and upon inspection there were no damaged springs/lifters or breaks in the camlobes...

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
You know I was thinking that since these engines come out of automatics the Rev range has probably been pretty low until they got bolted upto a manual with someone who wants all the power the engine can deliver. The bores wear unevenly for this and it might be causing a real strain on everything. This usaully becomes a problem with just the top lan ring. If you never take the engine over 5k or so for 70000 miles the piston only goes up the bore so far and wears a path for the piston to follow. Then you slap it in a manual car and run it to 7000 and suddenly the piston goes quickly from this wide piston bore to the stock size because of rod stretch. It can cause real havoc on alot of things. Not to mention high rpm Decel can really kill rods. Always clutch out if your comming down from 7K to get the engine away from beeing loaded in that rev range.

Ex-cat cams dealer. Today we do motor mounts.. Tommorow. Intake manifolds
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Travis:
You know I was thinking that since these engines come out of automatics the Rev range has probably been pretty low until they got bolted upto a manual with someone who wants all the power the engine can deliver. The bores wear unevenly for this and it might be causing a real strain on everything. This usaully becomes a problem with just the top lan ring. If you never take the engine over 5k or so for 70000 miles the piston only goes up the bore so far and wears a path for the piston to follow. Then you slap it in a manual car and run it to 7000 and suddenly the piston goes quickly from this wide piston bore to the stock size because of rod stretch. It can cause real havoc on alot of things. Not to mention high rpm Decel can really kill rods. Always clutch out if your comming down from 7K to get the engine away from beeing loaded in that rev range.

OK, you've got to be kidding me! The rod stretch from another "theoretical" 1500rpm, thaT YOU ARE SUGGESTING would be in the fuggin' microns.

It's not like these engine are made for John Deere!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Did you expect something else from Travis?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Well, I just last week broke my 3L duratec in my taurus, right after I had the engine somewere between 6-65000 RPM, it developed a ticking in the higher rpm ranges, Then trying to get back home it went really sour. now taken from my topic right under this one
Quote:

Alright I have managed to dameage either a rod or a lifter in my engine, we let it sit for 7 days before we got to look at it agian, and now it is covered with calcium deposits. All over the engine. Usually this signals that my water mixed with the oil, we cheacked the oil and it is fine... We can't figure out what caused this. Any ideas?

Sounds like I might have run into the same problem as you guys, in regaurds to the spun rod or lifters. I will look for sand and what not when I tear it down.

Last edited by DeltarMN; 11/02/04 12:38 AM.
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by DeltarMN:
I had the engine somewere between 6-65000 RPM,

Well $hit, theres your problem right there! Redline is about 7000, you were about 58,000rpm over redline!

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard