Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I want to get stock-replacement shocks/struts for all four corners of my SVT...

Advance Auto gave me prices for the Monroe Sensa-Trac: $80 ea. for the front and $90 ea. for the rear, IIRC. I didn't ask, but that's just for the struts, no springs, right?

So, here's the questions: Do I need to replace the springs, or will just struts be ok?
I'm wanting to stay stock, or within the OEM price range, mainly because I like the way it drives, and I can't afford going more expensive.

What other brands of shocks should i consider, and if i need springs, where do i look for them? Obviously I don't want to go to Ford because they overcharge everything, but if they have the best OEM stuff for my car, then I won't hesitate.

Thanks

Jed

MrRoarke865 '98 Silver Frost E0 '02 Honda Shadow ACE 750 MrsRoarke865 '97 Mystique 2.5 ATX
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Of the easy to find near original equipment struts, you want to stay with Motorcraft (Ford). Much better than Munroe. Also you want to get the 98 1/2 and newer front struts while you are at it since they are stiffer than the early 98 struts. The last time I checked, Monroe did not have a different part number for the SVT strut.

If you don't mind spending a little more, you would be very happy with Bilstein struts. The only US source for Bilstein is BAT www.batinc.net They are a high pressure gas strut that is firmer with still an excellent ride quality.

You don't need to change springs unless you want to lower it. Personally, my SVT is low enough. I already have trouble hitting things with the lower part of the front bumper.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Bilstein equipment. Does bill jenkins still help out CEG-ers with ford parts? If so, I'll contact him for prices on the 98.5+ stuff.

Let me clarify one thing: You said I'd be fine keeping my old springs, right? I wasn't sure if they wore out like struts do.

Thanks again

Jed

MrRoarke865 '98 Silver Frost E0 '02 Honda Shadow ACE 750 MrsRoarke865 '97 Mystique 2.5 ATX
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by MrRoarke865:

Let me clarify one thing: You said I'd be fine keeping my old springs, right? I wasn't sure if they wore out like struts do.

Jed

Springs can get "fatigued" as they get older (i.e. the metal starts to weaken due to continuous flexing). Fatigued springs can break. That's pretty rare, though. So I think the usual advice is to carefully inspect the springs when you are replacing the struts. If any of them are rusty, cracked, or severely sagged, replace them all. If they look undamaged, keep using them.

As for the struts: if you want to maintain the exact same ride and handling characteristics as a stock SVT, you'll have to get a strut with the same specs as stock. In other words, you will need a strut with the same valving, so it will have the same compression dampening and the same rebound dampening (dampening is the resistance to movement provided by the strut) as stock. Look on this site and on strut manufacturers sites, etc. to find a strut with the dampening specs you want.

If you are short on cash, you will probably find inexpensive struts at Autozone or Kragen (for example, Monroes). I haven't heard of any problems with Monroes. If the Monroes have the dampening specs you want, get 'em. You can buy much more expensive struts, but unless you are going for some special non-stock handling charactersitics, it's highly questionable as to whether they are worth the money.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
My 2 cents worth can be found on www.spmotorsports.com. I like them, they have no problem talking with you about what you want and what they think you should get. Everything I have done to my car excep the exhaust, which is Trubendz, I bought from them. You can get the BAT suspension kit for $595. That comes with the springs and the struts. Now that you have high miles on your car I would probably change the springs as well. I'm not much for spending money on the install twice so I would rather get it done at the same time if at all possible. I have friends that have used KYB struts and they liked them alot. The BAT springs are said to drop the car 1 inch. So it all depends on you. KYB struts are about $70 each and the BAT's are $100 each. Add either one of those with the price of a spring kit around $200. Either way you go you are going to spend around $500-$600 on a suspension. I think your best bet is to get the BAT suspension kit. It only drops it an inch and it is said to be nearly as comfortable the Contour SVT but better handling. So look up www.spmotorsports.com or call them and see what they say.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by SVT4Door:
KYB struts are about $70 each and the BAT's are $100 each.

Except KYB is a stock non-performance replacement for regular Contour struts.

They will not like lowering springs either.

The BAT "Euro" struts in the BAT kit were designed to be run with the springs in the BAT kit. A Matched set.

The BAT kit is the best setup for retaining the most normal drivability while improving the handling and nearly eliminating lift & dive.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Yep thats what I was saying, that he BAT kit was probably his best bet. As for the struts he is wanting something that is resonably stock feeling and inexpensive, thus the reason why I said KYB or BAT because I have heard they are as close to stock feeling as you can get without getting stock struts and springs.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by SVT4Door:
thus the reason why I said KYB or BAT because I have heard they are as close to stock feeling as you can get without getting stock struts and springs.

But he has an SVT so the KYB's would be a downgrade from stock since they are a STOCK replacement. (SVT isn't "stock" btw just so you know )

THAT was my whole point.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
i do believe i own an svt as well as you do. so i do know that svt isn't the same as a contour se. i don't know from personal experience what the kyb struts are like i just know what i heard. i also heard that the bat would be the best "close to stock" feeling suspension kit. which i do believe i said i thought would be the best option, considering what this person wants. listen to what i have to say before making a remark about what i said. maybe next time i should think twice about posting my opinion for fear of people being a smart a**.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard