Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Iwas driving on the highway, cruising at 80mph, and noticed the temp guage rose towards the red. I slowed to 65mph and put the heat on. when i did this the temp subsided and i noticed a loud tapping, like a constant tapping of a pen on the intake plenum. when i put my foot to the clutch, the car stalled out and refused to start.the next day it started but continued this noise. what could it be.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Sounds like your water pump is shot. I believe the tapping noise is the sound of the plastic impellar bouncing arround in pieces inside the water pump. Ford built the impellar out of plastic *hits ford* You can order a metal one from Napa. But I dont know the part number.... By the way.. Welcome to CEG!

Its very common for the Water pump impellar to break on the Duratec engines.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
D
OP Offline
D
i replaced the water pump 30k ago and didn't even think about that.i have the whole friggin' engine apart down into the valves.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
Sounds like your water pump is shot. I believe the tapping noise is the sound of the plastic impellar bouncing arround in pieces inside the water pump. Ford built the impellar out of plastic *hits ford* You can order a metal one from Napa. But I dont know the part number.... By the way.. Welcome to CEG!

Its very common for the Water pump impellar to break on the Duratec engines.

NAPA Dura-pro, part # 125-1910.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
you may have replaced it 30K ago, but like I said... the impeller is plastic... its not going to last long... How many miles are on your tour?

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard