Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
Greetings:

I've been A CEGer since I bought my SVT in 98, but haven't posted for years, hence the Newbie status. I searched the archives for a couple hours first.

You guys are my last shot at resolving MTX issues I've had since day one, and I hope you will give it your best shot. I've got 500 miles left on a 6 year/60K extended warranty Ford GAVE me because of these problems when they replaced the MTX. Thanks in advance. I will be as brief as possible.

First, the dealer's bent over backwards to solve this issue. Casco Bay Ford really is helpful.

Okay:

With the engine running and MTX in neutral, clutch pedal down, cannot shift into any gear. No grinding, noises, just won't shift. I'm talking grab the shifter with two hands and shove as hard as I can! Cold, hot, day or night. This occurs at random times. Can be twenty times a day; once a day; once every three days; etc.

When this happens, if I shut the motor off, it'll shift into any gear easily, smoothly.

What the dealer's done:

New, improved MTX in 2002
New slave and master cylinders
adjusted shifter mechanism
checked clutch assembly and throw-out bearing
flush mtx about 6 times
sprinkled with holy water
burnt chicken feathers and shook a cat's paw

(okay the last two I made up)

I think it's a @#$)*% clutch. Always have. This car was a dealer demo and I think someone was over-enthusiastic.

I am NOT hard on this car. I am NOT hard on any cars I own. I've granny shifted this puppy since I've owned it. I've never missed a shift.

Okay, gents. Do your best. I'm ready to listen to all the fixes and horror stories.

Garibaldi

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
here is something for you to read it has somethings it could possibly be

linky

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
G
OP Offline
G
Originally posted by gearhead98:
here is something for you to read it has somethings it could possibly be
linky

Yup, that's the deal, except: I've done everything suggested and there are no noises coming from the clutch/pilotshaft, etc. It is dead quiet. I think it's a weak pressure plate, but what do I know.

I can tell you right now, though, if as the link says, you've got to pull the MTX to get at the slave cylinder, some Ford tech has figured out a way to do it more quickly. Those are the kinds of jobs flat rate technicians love. That is, of course unless the slave is internal to the bellhousing. I don't have my service manual handy.

Regards,
Garibaldi

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Garibaldi:
burnt chicken feathers and shook a cat's paw

Well that's your problem right there,

It's ostrich feathers and a west african "redbutt" monkey's paw you need...

Oh yeah, and the slave cylinder is internal.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard