Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I am hearing a clumking noise that seems to be comming from the right front of the car. it only happens sometimes right as I accelerate or just before I stop. I looked under the car and didnt notice anything. Any ideas on what might be loose or causing this sound? Thanks.

2000 Camaro SS/to much to list/343.1 RWHP & 343.7 RWTQ. 1995 Contour GL/"driver"/white w/blue cloth/auto/full power/tint/vent visors/pinstripped/custom stereo/more to come....
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R

BluCamSS,

My bet would be on bad sway bar bushings and/or linkages. Pretty inexpensive and easy fix. Might as well do both sides if you are doing one. There are some other threads on this topic, that should find with a search.

Other possible items could be ball joint or tie rod end. They would have to be pretty bad though.

Good Luck.

Radioactive.

99 SE V6 Silver Frost 201,592 Miles (Still Running Well)
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
A.K.A. sway bar end links.

Cheap and easy fix that removes that clunk sound. You'd never know they were bad by looking at them. But they make a hell of a racket when they're bad!

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
is it a continuous noise or a pop? I was getting a pop when I stopped, hard accelerated, or pulled out of a parking spot. Control arm - bushings were shot. This is definately something to check out.

I ran a search already! 99 Ford Contour SVT - SOLD!! '90 CRX Si, '98 Explorer V8, '98 Acura ITRally Co-Driver
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by imnotted:
is it a continuous noise or a pop? I was getting a pop when I stopped, hard accelerated, or pulled out of a parking spot. Control arm - bushings were shot. This is definately something to check out.

Its a quick clunk, only if I stop or move a little harder then normal....

Thanks for any help guys.

2000 Camaro SS/to much to list/343.1 RWHP & 343.7 RWTQ. 1995 Contour GL/"driver"/white w/blue cloth/auto/full power/tint/vent visors/pinstripped/custom stereo/more to come....
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:

Cheap and easy fix that removes that clunk sound.

IIRC, the front sway bar/Stabilizer Bar links are a Major PITA to replace. I know the rear ones are a breeze, but I thought the front were tough to get at?

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong here...

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by zgendron:
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:

Cheap and easy fix that removes that clunk sound.

IIRC, the front sway bar/Stabilizer Bar links are a Major PITA to replace. I know the rear ones are a breeze, but I thought the front were tough to get at?

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong here...

Yeah does anyone know for sure if these are easy or hard to change out????

W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Mine is also doing this - lately the front wheels also seem to have a lot of play. They seem to move back & forth when I kick them. Could this be the same thing?

Black '98 SVT The usual mods.
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Front sway bar bushings appear to be accessable only when the engine/tranny unit is lowered, like when you do a clutch job. I've read a few people have just dropped the unit an inch or two with blocks and pry bars, etc....

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
I had a similar noise from the front end. Had the dealer check it out since it was already in to have the front wheel bearings replaced. They told me it was the sway bar links making the noise. You would never think that by looking at them. I'll try and change them myself since they wanted $150.00 to do it. Get them in parts store for $20.00 a piece. Also for anyone that thinks they might need wheel bearings try and get them replaced soon. Mine got so bad that they could not remove the old ones. I had to have the whole assembly replaced. Thankfully it was covered under the extended warranty. I also had them do the BG intake cleaning and power steering flush. I can't believe how much it helped. My steering use to feel a little sloppy. It is so tight now. Occasional low and rough idle is also now gone. That BG stuff really works.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard