Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Coolant Change - 07/13/04 03:49 AM
Ok everyone I really need help. I went out last week and bought some Dexcool, distilled water, and radiator flush. I read all the posts that I could find, and got under the car. 3 hours later, I still did not have any coolant coming out. All I managed to do was drain some of the windshield washer fluid . I cannot find the drain plug, and even if I could, it doesn't sound easy to get out. I found a hose that was near the manifold and had a wire/plug attached to it (oxygen sensor??). I would try to take this off, but I couldn't get that plastic clip that holds it on. I have spend about 6 hours, and have not come any closer. Thanks guys for any help.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 03:58 AM
I wouldn't use dexcool if you have a lotta miles, especially if you're not doing a full system flush. The drain plug is near the a/c compressor. It's on the bottom of the radiator (sorta, but like on the side), just gotta use a flathead screwdriver to remove it. Do you have a haynes manual? They're helpful.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 03:59 AM
From a couple threads down...

Originally posted by MeanGreen2:

Remove the splash-shield...it's right under the lower radiator hose, facing towards the back of the car. You'll probably need a good stubby flat-bladed screwdriver.

All it looks like is a round stubby ~1 Inch long, sticking out of the bottom right (when looking from rear) plug. I needed alot of force to turn it. Where are you putting the Tee-Flush?
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 05:49 AM
All that I got was the stuff you put into the radiator and run it w/ water untill the car gets warm. Forget the exact name, but I think it is Valvoline 10 min flush.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Ok everyone I really need help. I went out last week and bought some Dexcool, distilled water, and radiator flush. I read all the posts that I could find, and got under the car. 3 hours later, I still did not have any coolant coming out. All I managed to do was drain some of the windshield washer fluid . I cannot find the drain plug, and even if I could, it doesn't sound easy to get out. I found a hose that was near the manifold and had a wire/plug attached to it (oxygen sensor??). I would try to take this off, but I couldn't get that plastic clip that holds it on. I have spend about 6 hours, and have not come any closer. Thanks guys for any help.

First off, don't use Dexcool, unless you want to see built-up sludge in your fill tank and seepings at all of your hose connections...and honestly, if you've drained your washer fluid and were in the process of removing your O2 sensor, instead of draining your radiator, spending over 6 hours of your time, you really might want to consider having someone else do it for you.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's good advice, regardless.
Posted By: Stryker Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 12:15 PM
it is not easy to get out, its a ford engineerd plastic plug that woudl be ok if it was one time use only. its above the right hand side subframe rail and its a [censored]. if u havent figured it our by this afternoon PM me and ill snap some pix for you.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 04:00 PM

First off, don't use Dexcool, unless you want to see built-up sludge in your fill tank and seepings at all of your hose connections...and honestly, if you've drained your washer fluid and were in the process of removing your O2 sensor, instead of draining your radiator, spending over 6 hours of your time, you really might want to consider having someone else do it for you.

Not really good advice. He just needs some type of manual that shows where stuff like that is, a haynes manual would work fine. Or he should have just asked on here the second he realized he wasn't finding it. If you don't work on your car, then there's no way you'll ever learn to do it yourself.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Not really good advice. He just needs some type of manual that shows where stuff like that is, a haynes manual would work fine. Or he should have just asked on here the second he realized he wasn't finding it. If you don't work on your car, then there's no way you'll ever learn to do it yourself.

Are you trying to start another fight, friend?

For $52.50 I could have flushed and refilled his system, using a professional machine...had him back on the road in just a few minutes...flushed, new coolant, LubeGard additive, labor, everything...

...and if actually took the time to read my words:

"you really might want to consider having someone else do it for you."

I never suggested that he had to take it to the dealer, or a shop...I just stated that he find someone else do it for him...a friend, in-law...
Posted By: tiv_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 09:26 PM
OK, back to business.

Forget about the drain plug, I cannot recall either on the right or left side but there's a rubber hose coming out from the bottom of the rad going towards the back of the car and a few inches from the rad it continues into a metal pipe.

Find that connection, disconnect the hose from the metal and drain your system. It's very convenient.

Tiv
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 09:38 PM
I can flush (and I mean complete flush) and fill my system in less than 10 minutes and for less than $25, including time to drain & add coolant (with the coolant I want and additive I want) and change t-stat (to the t-stat I want).
Plus I get an understanding of how the engine is doing.
So why would I want to pay somebody?

Since I learned to do it myself, I save atleat $25 per time.
Factor in the fact that I do my oil change, another savings of atleast $20 per time.
Then brake job, ateast $100 per time.
PVC replacement, diagnostics, etc.
I have saved atleast $500 on maintenance costs & atleast $500 on repair/diagnostics.
Buil,ding from that allowed me to gain the confidence, tools, and knowledge to do performance upgrades myself.
And I have saved atleaste $500 there too.

READ, ASK, LEARN, DO!
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 10:38 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
I can flush (and I mean complete flush) and fill my system in less than 10 minutes and for less than $25, including time to drain & add coolant (with the coolant I want and additive I want) and change t-stat (to the t-stat I want).
Plus I get an understanding of how the engine is doing.
So why would I want to pay somebody?

How about if we not fight...okay?

I gave advice...others gave advice...sweet...the person that asked the question is the only one that will make the choice to do what's best for him.

And I never said you would have to pay somebody else, did I? I was talking to another person.

Originally posted by SleeperZ:
Since I learned to do it myself, I save atleat $25 per time.
Factor in the fact that I do my oil change, another savings of atleast $20 per time.
Then brake job, ateast $100 per time.
PVC replacement, diagnostics, etc.
I have saved atleast $500 on maintenance costs & atleast $500 on repair/diagnostics.
Buil,ding from that allowed me to gain the confidence, tools, and knowledge to do performance upgrades myself.
And I have saved atleaste $500 there too.

READ, ASK, LEARN, DO!

Good for you.

I stated an opinion, others did...no cause for alarm.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/13/04 10:49 PM
Originally posted by tiv:
OK, back to business.

Forget about the drain plug, I cannot recall either on the right or left side but there's a rubber hose coming out from the bottom of the rad going towards the back of the car and a few inches from the rad it continues into a metal pipe.

Find that connection, disconnect the hose from the metal and drain your system. It's very convenient.

Tiv

Right-side/Passenger-side
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 03:15 AM

For $52.50 I could have flushed and refilled his system, using a professional machine...had him back on the road in just a few minutes...flushed, new coolant, LubeGard additive, labor, everything...

I never suggested that he had to take it to the dealer, or a shop...I just stated that he find someone else do it for him...a friend, in-law...

Not trying to start a fight at all. You know people are allowed to have different opinions and express them.

And you might want to take time to read my words,,, if he never does the stuff himself, he'll never know how to work on his car. I take pride knowing how to work on my car, and it certainly comes in handy if someone else isn't available.

Now time to start a fight, when did you stumble upon the zetec forums anyways? I liked it better before you posted on this side of the fence. (I knew we should have gotten that electric fence)
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 04:05 AM
Hehe- I didn't think a coolant change question would start a brawl here... Anyways guys, anyone that has any pics of where it is would be very, very helpful. I will probably work on it this weekend, so I let everyone know what happens. BTW, I just never had any experience with cars. All I really have done is change oil, and I use a Sure Drain for that. Many of these people that know lots about cars have just had a long time to get to know them. Leave room for the newbie!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 04:59 AM
Sounds like you got a good attitude. Never give up doing your own work.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 05:26 AM
Well I know for myself I couldnt find it right off the bat, but I did get one of those Haynes bibles and then went out for a second try and found the thingy. When you crawl undeer the car youll have to remove the rad shield (question here for some of the more knowledgeable guys. What happens if you leave it off? Will your rad get dinged to crap or what?) Next you need to look on the passenger side of the rad. Righ at the bottom near the corner is where youll find the plug. It faces towards the rear of the car which is kind of ghey cause when you flush it and drain it, fluids will piss out everywhere. Why they just didnt make it face downwards is beyond me, woah wait to think of it the oil drain is like that too, wtf? Ok So if your havin problems seing the drain its likely cause of the mounts or braces or whatever it is kind of blocks the veiw of the drain. You nead to kinda look up past the metal bracket thingy to where the plug is. A nice slim flat head screwdriver will work well on getting it off. For me it seemed like it took forever to get it off but thats because youll have to pull it out with your fingers cause its got a little tab thingy to hold it in even when the threads are all unthreaded. Then watch the crap piss out all over. Id highly recommend A nice big drain pan for this kinda work. Hope that explains it. If you still cant see it, Id really suggest gettin a haynes bible cause that thing covers TONS of little things you need to know about the car.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 09:16 AM

Quote:

Not trying to start a fight at all. You know people are allowed to have different opinions and express them.

Really? Then why did you enter this thread trying to pretend that my opinion wasn't allowed, trying to discredit it? If you really believed that, you would have gave your advice, watched me give my advice, then left it at that, letting the person that started this thread make up their own mind for themselves.

Quote:

And you might want to take time to read my words,,, if he never does the stuff himself, he'll never know how to work on his car. I take pride knowing how to work on my car, and it certainly comes in handy if someone else isn't available.

Not every person is mechanically inclined...and you should never jump into a job w/o being at least the slightest bit prepared. Seeing that someone was yanking on a O2 sensor and draining the washer fluid, never actually getting down to draining the coolant, during a 6 hour coolant draining marathon, was the only reason that I suggested that it might be a good idea to find someone else to take over the job...and to not use the DexCool, btw.

Quote:

Now time to start a fight, when did you stumble upon the zetec forums anyways? I liked it better before you posted on this side of the fence. (I knew we should have gotten that electric fence)

Quote:

Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 09:25 AM
Hehe- I didn't think a coolant change question would start a brawl here... Anyways guys, anyone that has any pics of where it is would be very, very helpful. I will probably work on it this weekend, so I let everyone know what happens. BTW, I just never had any experience with cars. All I really have done is change oil, and I use a Sure Drain for that. Many of these people that know lots about cars have just had a long time to get to know them. Leave room for the newbie!

No photos, but the *drain plug* for the coolant is on the radiator, right under the lower radiator hose on the passenger side, facing towards the back of the car.

It won't be sticking out like a sore-thumb...everyone that I've seen looks sort of like a button w/ an + on it...mounts pretty flush with the radiator, doesn't stick out like most others.

Get to it from underneath, w/ the splash shield removed.
Posted By: Stryker Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 03:33 PM
heres a pic, mines pretty raddy. the shop that did the coolant change last (same that did my timing belt and IAC) didnt get em a new one...so i will ask fo rone when i go back. no big deal i am sure.

i have clearly labeled all parts needing to be indentified...have at!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 07:29 PM
Meangreen my first reply was nice, though yes it discredited your opinion. I did it as nicely as possible though. Not only is it OK to have an opinion, it's OK if the opinion doesn't agree with someone else's. You have the right to disagree again with me and what not but you asked if I'm trying to start a fight, etc. I wasn't with the first post but I don't really care now, because your opinion isn't needed in the zetec section. We don't like people to discourage others from working on their cars. Sure he wasn't doing the right things, BUT that's why he posted on here, and we're here to point him in the right direction, which isn't a shop. Noone is born mechanically inclined, but it's more of a learned skill that anyone can do following a book, a how-to, or someone's directions.

And logger, it's not a big deal if you leave the radiator shield off. It's best to have it on, but mine has been off for a while as I've been doing various mods that require it to come off/on so much that I just left it off for a few months.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 08:17 PM
Meangreen my first reply was nice,

I didn't ask the question...I gave an opinion, you gave an opinion...that should have been the end of it.

Quote:

though yes it discredited your opinion. I did it as nicely as possible though.

Why? There was nothing wrong with my advice, in this case, and it sure wasn't inaccurate advice that needed to be discredited in any way.

Quote:

Not only is it OK to have an opinion, it's OK if the opinion doesn't agree with someone else's.

It sure doesn't appear that it's OK with you.

Quote:

You have the right to disagree again with me and what not but you asked if I'm trying to start a fight, etc. I wasn't with the first post

Sure you were.

Quote:

but I don't really care now, because your opinion isn't needed in the zetec section.

Why is that, expert? Because your limited opinion is more needed than my ASE certified opinion/my 21 years of experience?

Your Zetec drain plug is so much different than my SVT's plug and it's location?

Because I have dozens of customers that have Zetec platforms, where I have replaced their T/Belts, Head/Gasket, Clutches, Alternators, Struts, Brakes, Exhausts, Drive Axles, Compressors, Heater Cores, Radiators, Evaporators, Emissions, Ignition Systems, Fuel Management...the list goes on and on.

Your knowlege surpasses that of mine, expert?

Quote:

We don't like people to discourage others from working on their cars. Sure he wasn't doing the right things, BUT that's why he posted on here, and we're here to point him in the right direction, which isn't a shop.

Maybe it should have been...remember, that's the guy that was yanking on his O2 sensor and draining his washer fluid, taking 6 hours to do it. I don't go around telling people to go to a shop, I give lots of DIYs advice that they can use for themselves, but this one concerned me.

Quote:

Noone is born mechanically inclined, but it's more of a learned skill that anyone can do following a book, a how-to, or someone's directions.

That's a load of crap, honestly. Could your mother out-wrench your dad? Can you out-wrench me? Can I out-wrench Sean Hyland? I know that you do have to be mechanically inclined to be good at it. I've seen mechanics that have worked on cars for 10 - 15 years and be blown away by kids that have been doing it for only 2 years. I know because I was once one of those kids that was always having to finish and/or re-do the brake jobs, window regulator jobs, carburetor jobs, tune-ups, etc of those guys that weren't really inclined to be in the profession, because they weren't qualified, really, and they never were able to ever retain anything that they had just learned and done.

Give your brain a chance, friend...everybody has their own skill-level.

Using your theory, everybody can learn to be a Mozart, everybody can ride bulls, everybody can benchpress 500lbs, everybody can win the lead role in La Boheme or Turandot, everybody could make an award winning soufflé, etc...all they need to do is follow a book, a how-to, or take someone's direction.

Posted By: Stryker Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 11:14 PM

I didn't ask the question...I gave an opinion, you gave an opinion...that should have been the end of it.

Quote:

Why? There was nothing wrong with my advice, in this case, and it sure wasn't inaccurate advice that needed to be discredited in any way.

Quote:

Not only is it OK to have an opinion, it's OK if the opinion doesn't agree with someone else's.

Quote:

You have the right to disagree again with me and what not but you asked if I'm trying to start a fight, etc. I wasn't with the first post

Sure you were.

Quote:

but I don't really care now, because your opinion isn't needed in the zetec section.

Why is that, expert? Because your limited opinion is more needed than my ASE certified opinion/my 21 years of experience?

Your Zetec drain plug is so much different than my SVT's plug and it's location?

Because I have dozens of customers that have Zetec platforms, where I have replaced their T/Belts, Head/Gasket, Clutches, Alternators, Struts, Brakes, Exhausts, Drive Axles, Compressors, Heater Cores, Radiators, Evaporators, Emissions, Ignition Systems, Fuel Management...the list goes on and on.

Quote:

We don't like people to discourage others from working on their cars. Sure he wasn't doing the right things, BUT that's why he posted on here, and we're here to point him in the right direction, which isn't a shop.

Maybe it should have been...remember, that's the guy that was yanking on his O2 sensor and draining his washer fluid, taking 6 hours to do it. I don't go around telling people to go to a shop, I give lots of DIYs advice that they can use for themselves, but this one concerned me.

Quote:

Noone is born mechanically inclined, but it's more of a learned skill that anyone can do following a book, a how-to, or someone's directions.

That's a load of crap, honestly. Could your mother out-wrench your dad? Can you out-wrench me? Can I out-wrench Sean Hyland? I know that you do have to be mechanically inclined to be good at it. I've seen mechanics that have worked on cars for 10 - 15 years and be blown away by kids that have been doing it for only 2 years. I know because I was once one of those kids that was always having to finish and/or re-do the brake jobs, window regulator jobs, carburetor jobs, tune-ups, etc of those guys that weren't really inclined to be in the profession, because they weren't qualified, really, and they never were able to ever retain anything that they had just learned and done.

Using your theory, everybody can learn to be a Mozart, everybody can ride bulls, everybody can benchpress 500lbs, everybody can win the lead role in La Boheme or Turandot, everybody could make an award winning soufflé, etc...all they need to do is follow a book, a how-to, or take someone's direction.

here we go again...
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/14/04 11:20 PM
Well thanks everyone for the help- the supporters and the ones against me. The only reason that I drained the washer fluid was because I thought it was the bottom of the coolant res. I stopped immediately when I noticed the liquid coming out was blue, not green. Thanks again everyone.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/15/04 12:33 AM
blah blah blah

Here we go again.
This guy is certified, so he must be better than everyone else.
Dont work on your own cars, it will blow up.

Go fondle your Fram Airhog...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/15/04 04:03 AM

YES IT SHOULD HAVE, BUT YOU WENT AND MADE A REPLY TO MY OPINION THAT ASKED IF I WAS TRYING TO START A FIGHT, ETC. JUST TRYING TO ARGUE WITH ME RATHER THAN HELP THE GUY, WELL YOU WERE ACTUALLY NEVER TRYING TO HELP THE GUY, JUST SEND HIM OFF TO A SHOP.

Quote:

YES THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR ADVICE, LET'S TRY TO HELP PEOPLE HERE, NOT SEND THEM TO A SHOP.

Quote:

IT'S OK, REMEMBER I JUST REPLIED WITH MY OPINION THEN YOU GOT ALL GRUMPY.

Quote:

Sure you were.

NOT WITH THE FIRST POST, BUT WITH THE SECOND ONE, MAYBE.

Quote:

WELL, EXPERT? BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE, NOT SEND THEM TO SHOPS, EXPERT?

THAT'S THE REASON WE DON'T NEED YOU IN THE ZETEC SECTION, BECAUSE OUR DRAIN PLUGS ARE ALL IN THE SAME SPOT, WE CAN DO A FIND JOB TELLING SOMEONE HOW TO FIND IT. WE DON'T SEND THEM OFF TO A SHOP, EXPERT?

AGAIN, MY KNOWLEDGE OF CARS MAY NOT SURPASS YOUR'S, BUT MY HELPFULNESS AND KNOWLEDGE OF OTHERS THINGS MOST LIKELY DOES, EXPERT?

Quote:

A LOT OF PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES, YOU CAN'T LEARN WITHOUT MAKING MISTAKES,EXPERT?

Quote:

EVERYBODY CAN LEARN TO BE A GOOD COMPOSER, RIDE A BULL, BENCHPRESS A LOT (MAYBE NOT 500LBS, UNLESS THEY ARE BUILT BODY WISE FOR IT), ETC. IF YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING, YOU CAN DO IT. OR YOU CAN HAVE YOUR ATTITUDE AND JUST TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND NEVER LEARN HOW TO DO ANYTHING FOR YOURSELF.

Sorry, was I yelling?

I really don't mind you being in the zetec section, but you gotta be more supportive/helpful of people to be accepted around here. Or you can continue just sending people to the shop and acting like you know everything about everything, expert?
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/15/04 11:04 AM

Quote:

YES IT SHOULD HAVE, BUT YOU WENT AND MADE A REPLY TO MY OPINION

No, liar, you first made a reply to MY opinion. I never addressed your advice to the original poster [fact].

Quote:

THAT ASKED IF I WAS TRYING TO START A FIGHT, ETC. JUST TRYING TO ARGUE WITH ME RATHER THAN HELP THE GUY, WELL YOU WERE ACTUALLY NEVER TRYING TO HELP THE GUY, JUST SEND HIM OFF TO A SHOP.

I've told the guy where the drain is so he can try to do it himself...I also suggested that he get someone to take over, seeing that he spent over 6 hours, never finding one drop of coolant.

Quote:

Quote:

YES THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR ADVICE, LET'S TRY TO HELP PEOPLE HERE, NOT SEND THEM TO A SHOP.

You've got a big problem, Beethoven. Some people aren't meant to work on their cars, even tho' they want to, even tho' you need for them to. I give out lots of advice, but in this situation, there was nothing wrong with telling the guy to find someone.

You'll be happy to know about all the DIYs that I've seen that you think could be the next Kiri Te Kanawa, with the right how-to book...

...burned up cars because they couldn't get the valve cover back on, so they drove around with it off...brake pads on backwards, shoes installed with all trailing shoes on one side of the car, all leading shoes on the other side...lugs nuts on backwards...vice-grips that were welded to the hood of a truck with a totally destroyed electrical system [during a simple battery replacement]...lost 4 fingers during a simple belt replacement...ruined strut assemblies and ruined brake lines because a guy thought he could do his own struts...he even threw away his anchor bolts for his seatbelts

If they're not smart enough to know what they're doing, they're not smart enough to know what they did right or wrong on the job. If they're lucky, they don't break too much more than what they're trying to fix...just messing up their car...at worst, they hurt themselves or others.

Quote:

Quote:

IT'S OK, REMEMBER I JUST REPLIED WITH MY OPINION THEN YOU GOT ALL GRUMPY.

It's not ok with you, because when you gave advice to the guy, I said nothing to you, but when I gave advice to the guy, you got all grumpy with me.

Quote:

Sure you were.

Quote:

NOT WITH THE FIRST POST, BUT WITH THE SECOND ONE, MAYBE.

With the first post...that led to the second. I didn't jump on you for giving him advice, you jumped on me for giving advice.

Quote:

Quote:

WELL, EXPERT? BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE, NOT SEND THEM TO SHOPS, EXPERT?

I give out lots of advice that DIYs can use for themselves, expert.

Quote:

THAT'S THE REASON WE DON'T NEED YOU IN THE ZETEC SECTION, BECAUSE OUR DRAIN PLUGS ARE ALL IN THE SAME SPOT, WE CAN DO A FIND JOB TELLING SOMEONE HOW TO FIND IT. WE DON'T SEND THEM OFF TO A SHOP, EXPERT?

Because your knowledge is about 1,000th as complete as mine, expert?

Quote:

AGAIN, MY KNOWLEDGE OF CARS MAY NOT SURPASS YOUR'S, BUT MY HELPFULNESS AND KNOWLEDGE OF OTHERS THINGS MOST LIKELY DOES, EXPERT?

You're the one that backed the cardboard and one-tooth off theory on timing belt replacements...correct?

How can your knowledge be so helpful, when it's so limited?

Quote:

Quote:

A LOT OF PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES, YOU CAN'T LEARN WITHOUT MAKING MISTAKES,EXPERT?

At what costs amateur? A ruined engine, a person's health, a danger to others, a final cost that far exceeds a pro's original quote...a 20 hour drain and refill?

Quote:

Quote:

EVERYBODY CAN LEARN TO BE A GOOD COMPOSER, RIDE A BULL, BENCHPRESS A LOT (MAYBE NOT 500LBS, UNLESS THEY ARE BUILT BODY WISE FOR IT), ETC. IF YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING, YOU CAN DO IT. OR YOU CAN HAVE YOUR ATTITUDE AND JUST TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND NEVER LEARN HOW TO DO ANYTHING FOR YOURSELF.

I never tell all people to go to the shop, Bach...very rarely do I give out that sort of advice, Julia Roberts...Alexander The Great, all I did was suggest that the guy might want to consider letting someone take over, seeing that he was yanking on the O2 sensor, while trying to find a **drain plug** for the radiator...Julia Childs, my advice wasn't that out of line...Prince.

Quote:

Sorry, was I yelling?

I really don't mind you being in the zetec section, but you gotta be more supportive/helpful of people to be accepted around here. Or you can continue just sending people to the shop and acting like you know everything about everything, expert?

I give out support/advice to DIYs, based on experience...exerience that you don't have, but that never stops you from always trying to correct me, George Foreman.

I'm not going to let someone like you pretend that you can discredit my knowledge, and try to dispute everything that I say, just because you have a problem with my profession and what I do with my exhaust systems...and because you have the silly attitude that any mother can fix any car or die trying mentality.

Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/15/04 12:53 PM
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
blah blah blah

Here we go again.
This guy is certified, so he must be better than everyone else.
Dont work on your own cars, it will blow up.

Go fondle your Fram Airhog...

Work on your own cars, just have the slightest concept of what's required, before you jump into anything.

I know of a guy that eneded up killing his daughter because he did his own brake job, not understanding everything that's involved in the process. Sure he slapped the pads on...I didn't inspect his work for quality or safety issues down the road, to see what he did right and what he did wrong, but I did hear from the guys dad that his grandaughter died because his son forgot to pump the brakes until he could feel a firm pedal [caliper piston was still compressed all the way]...when he put it in reverse he had no way of stopping in time.

Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/15/04 01:10 PM
Well thanks everyone for the help- the supporters and the ones against me. The only reason that I drained the washer fluid was because I thought it was the bottom of the coolant res. I stopped immediately when I noticed the liquid coming out was blue, not green. Thanks again everyone.

It sounds like you have the desire and the patience required to service your own car, just not the direction...buy a good manual. I think you'd soon discover what you feel like you're willing and able to tackle, and what you'd feel safer letting others do for you.

That applies to everybody at this group, I'm sure; even me.

Sure, I can fix almost everything on my machine, but I would never dream of trying to paint the thing...wouldn't even want to rebuild the transmission/transaxle...I'd pay someone to paint it and I'd buy a brand new transmission/transaxle and replace it myself, even if I had a *how-to book* on-hand.

Even in Kremits case...he may have replaced his own T/Belt, and has taken the pole-position of The DIY Brigade, but even he took it to a pro when it came time to replace his own cam gears/pullies, for whatever reason, even tho' he says he's got the right method for holding the pullies, and a how-to book at his side.

I didn't mean to come down on you, just thought that you might want to think about having someone else do it for you, at least until you have a good guide to go by, knowing what's required of you to do the job yourself.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 02:45 AM
I understand MeanGreen, I will go out and get a manual. I was just hoping that by posting my problem on here, I would get some pics or detailed advise of where the plug was. Thanks though, I understand what you are getting at.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 03:29 AM

Even in Kremits case...he may have replaced his own T/Belt, and has taken the pole-position of The DIY Brigade, but even he took it to a pro when it came time to replace his own cam gears/pullies, for whatever reason, even tho' he says he's got the right method for holding the pullies, and a how-to book at his side.

It all came down to the fact that one, I didn't have all the tools and would have to find between work, etc. to go to my dad's house (hour away) to do it. I also had already did almost the whole jump before (the belt,etc.) and didn't feel like doing it again. So I paid a shop to do it, not because I can't do it, but because I didn't want to do it. If I had decided to do it myself, it would have cost me the same in lost time from work and I would have had to do the work to the car, so that wouldn't have made much sense, now would it?

I understand that you are sorta trying to help on here BUT you're not doing anything that any of us can't do, though you've got a bad attitude. I and others on here would love to do without your advice if it means we can do without your attitude. Now if you want to have a good attitude, then I welcome you with open arms.

And really ANYONE can work on a car. Now total retards will screw up there stuff no matter what and they deserve to, so all those cases you listed (except the girl dieing), they are just getting a lesson to not be so stupid next time and to follow some good directions and not just go at it without knowing what to do. I didn't do anything to a car, except change a flat tire,etc. before I got my car but I learned quickly how to do work to it. If you want to do something, you'll learn how to do it. You may not be the best, but you can get close with practice. Or you can believe that you can't really do anything you want in life and you'll end up not living up to your potential, but that's not cool.

You can deny it all you want, but you are trying to start arguements just as much if not more so than me. Get used to it, people are going to disagree with you on here, and they are going to post it. Don't get so grumpy about it when it happens and it won't turn it to a big deal.

I guess we'll just have to see how you act in future posts, I'm done arguing with you.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 10:15 AM

Quote:

It all came down to the fact that one, I didn't have all the tools and would have to find between work, etc. to go to my dad's house (hour away) to do it. I also had already did almost the whole jump before (the belt,etc.) and didn't feel like doing it again. So I paid a shop to do it, not because I can't do it, but because I didn't want to do it. If I had decided to do it myself, it would have cost me the same in lost time from work and I would have had to do the work to the car, so that wouldn't have made much sense, now would it?

LOL. You're worried about doing it yourself -- "I would have had to do the work to the car" -- worried about the wasted effort, weighing the costs of doing it yourself vs. letting someone else do it...but you're on the thread where a guy spent over **6 hours** trying to find, unsuccessfully, a radiator drain plug @ the O2 sensor, the washer fluid container, etc...but *you* had the nerve to tell me that I was wrong for suggesting that he let someone else do it? Does that make sense to you?

Quote:

I understand that you are sorta trying to help on here BUT you're not doing anything that any of us can't do,

Really?

Right now, I'm right in the very middle of doing a complete tune-up, transmission service, shocks, front drive axles, timing belt kit, cam and crank seals, P/S pump, brakes, tires and compressor on a '94 4runner...put it back together.

The guy is real proud of it. His dad gave him the vehicle and it's taken him about six months to save up for this [since the fist time that he came in for an estimate], so do a real good job for him, expert.

Quote:

though you've got a bad attitude.

Not nearly as bad a yours. If it wasn't for your bad attitude towards me, I might have flaoted around here for another several months and still not take much note of you being here.

Quote:

I and others on here would love to do without your advice if it means we can do without your attitude. Now if you want to have a good attitude, then I welcome you with open arms.

Now if you want to have a good attitude, then I welcome you with open arms.

Quote:

And really ANYONE can work on a car. Now total retards will screw up there stuff no matter what and they deserve to, so all those cases you listed (except the girl dieing), they are just getting a lesson to not be so stupid next time and to follow some good directions and not just go at it without knowing what to do.

Not anyone..it takes more than just skill and tools, it takes a desire. Just like you and your cam pullies...you didn't *feel* like it. Tell that to the next customer that pulls up to your front door.

And anyone can let Autozone scan their computer, sell them 3 times the parts that they actually need, put it on themselves...then call me the next day to see what's really wrong...happens all the time.

Quote:

I didn't do anything to a car, except change a flat tire,etc. before I got my car but I learned quickly how to do work to it. If you want to do something, you'll learn how to do it. You may not be the best, but you can get close with practice. Or you can believe that you can't really do anything you want in life and you'll end up not living up to your potential, but that's not cool.

Tell that to the next cop that tickets someone when they crashed their car because they couldn't stop in time, due to the damaged ABS system and fouled-up components on the rear, after doing their own brake job..."they got close" ...close to being a real safety hazard to themselves and everybody that they meet on the road.

Quote:

You can deny it all you want, but you are trying to start arguements just as much if not more so than me.

No, liar, I'm not. You show me where I have ever entered a thread of yours, jumping on your postings, telling you that you just gave bad advice...that you're telling the guy wrong, etc...show me where I've ever done that, to anyone. You won't find much...but that's your specialty with me.

Quote:

Get used to it, people are going to disagree with you on here, and they are going to post it. Don't get so grumpy about it when it happens and it won't turn it to a big deal.

You're the one that's trying to make a big deal out of this, disagreeing with so much of what I say while I doubt that I have ever followed you around from thread to thread, telling you that I disagree with what you just told someone.

Quote:

I guess we'll just have to see how you act in future posts, I'm done arguing with you.

Yes, on the next 2 or 3 threads where I give advice to someone else, we'll just have to see if you jump on my postings to discredit my advice, even though I was on those threads, reading your advice, not jumping on your postings to try and dispute you.

Go tell your dad how to work on cars/trucks - tell him what he's doing wrong...I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 08:38 PM
Yeah, I was wrong, you're not trying to argue at all. They should call this the contour comedy club.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 08:43 PM
Is everybody getting set for a nice summer weekend?
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 09:00 PM
Yeah, I was wrong, you're not trying to argue at all. They should call this the contour comedy club.

"I guess we'll just have to see how you act in future posts, I'm done arguing with you." --Kremithefrog

Wow, that sure didn't last long.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 09:13 PM
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
Is everybody getting set for a nice summer weekend?

I'm listening to a little bit of Pinchas Zukerman, Arthur Grumiaux, Joshua Bell, Kyung Wha Chung, Akiko Suwanai, Istvan Hajdu, etc...
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 11:18 PM
man cant everyone just let the bickerin stop? I dont want to read a post of 5 qoutes that ends up being 5000 words long, man
Posted By: Stryker Re: Coolant Change - 07/16/04 11:53 PM
I understand MeanGreen, I will go out and get a manual. I was just hoping that by posting my problem on here, I would get some pics or detailed advise of where the plug was. Thanks though, I understand what you are getting at.

i put up a pic...
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/17/04 12:47 AM
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
man cant everyone just let the bickerin stop?

Cause then it would get boring in here
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/17/04 03:49 AM

Yeap. Like I said, this should be called a comedy club. It's a good place to have a laugh.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/17/04 10:23 AM

Yeap. Like I said, this should be called a comedy club. It's a good place to have a laugh.

Oh yes, I really enjoyed it when you implied how every mother could be the next Mozart, learn to be a great bull rider and/or be a professional automotive technician, etc...
Posted By: FlaXXMaN Re: Coolant Change - 07/17/04 05:45 PM

Oh yes, I really enjoyed it when you implied how every mother could be the next Mozart, learn to be a great bull rider and/or be a professional automotive technician, etc...

Impressive maturity levels here gentlemen, especially from a 21 year + experienced Automotive technician. Now when we are done with the "who's d$ck is bigger" competition, lets get back to helping Matt out here

Here is a pic from my Hanynes Manual, to go along with the one that Stryker posted. I will admit, the drain plug is a little tricky to get at, but not too bad.

I will have to go with MeanGreen2â??s opinion with the Dexcool, I have personally seen the coolant passageways in GM vehicles that are almost half plugged. Not cool at all.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: FlaXXMaN Re: Coolant Change - 07/17/04 06:55 PM
Here is that pic...
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/17/04 07:30 PM
Originally posted by FlaXXMaN:

Quote:

Impressive maturity levels here gentlemen, especially from a 21 year + experienced Automotive technician. Now when we are done with the "who's d$ck is bigger" competition, lets get back to helping Matt out here

I'm not the one that said this should be Comedy Central...and I'm not the one that originally made the above statements about bull riding Mozarts...how anybody could do just about anything, w/ a how-to book...I think I'll go home and read about becoming the next Monet.

Quote:

Here is a pic from my Hanynes Manual, to go along with the one that Stryker posted. I will admit, the drain plug is a little tricky to get at, but not too bad.

I will have to go with MeanGreen2â??s opinion with the Dexcool, I have personally seen the coolant passageways in GM vehicles that are almost half plugged. Not cool at all.

Hope this helps!

Ever seen a Taurus that came with DexCool installed from the factory? LOL...no wonder Ford got away from DexCool so quickly.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/18/04 04:42 AM
Yes Stryker, thank you very much for your pic (and you to Flaxxman). You both actually solved my problem, tyvm.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/18/04 04:56 AM
Actually dexcool is a fine coolant but it's not for every vehicle and it has certain "guidelines" to follow. It's not a good idea to just switch over to it, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure demonsvt uses it.
Posted By: FlaXXMaN Re: Coolant Change - 07/18/04 05:29 AM
Here is a Pic of a GM 3.4L V6 head, with the good ol' dexcool right from the factory...
I'm sure there are some people that have no issues with it, but from what I have seen, i definetly won't be using it

BTW - GM currently has a Class Action Lawsuit against them currently for this issue...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/18/04 05:36 AM
Yeah, gotta use it right.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Coolant Change - 07/18/04 05:43 AM
Wow
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/18/04 10:21 AM
Originally posted by FlaXXMaN:
Here is a Pic of a GM 3.4L V6 head, with the good ol' dexcool right from the factory...
I'm sure there are some people that have no issues with it, but from what I have seen, i definetly won't be using it

BTW - GM currently has a Class Action Lawsuit against them currently for this issue...

Guess Ford is just a whole lot smarter than GM...they tried it for just a year or so on a few of their product lines, then they switched right back to the good stuff. I'm with Ford on this.

...and funny how I've probably changed 50+ intake gaskets on various late model GM vechicles [plus quite a few seeping head gaskets on low mileage/late model vehicles], but I can't recall the last leaky Ford intake gasket that needed replacement...coincidence?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/19/04 03:46 AM
Like intake manifold gaskets??? If so, talk to many duratec owners if you wanna hear about leaky gaskets.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/19/04 09:23 AM
Like intake manifold gaskets??? If so, talk to many duratec owners if you wanna hear about leaky gaskets.

Leaking coolant, vacuum...???

Before or after they've worked on their motor?

After they've switched to DexCool?

Again, I can't remember that last Ford Intake that I've had off due to coolant leaking at a coolant passage, but I've done/seen around 50 GM leaks in about the last 3 or so years.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/19/04 01:31 PM

b.t.w. Seems like you're being specific here, not just Fords in general...we're talking about coolant leaks and clogged coolant passages in intakes/heads, and you bring up leaky intake gaskets on Duratecs...why?

You see coolant passages in their upper/lower intake gaskets that I don't see?

Coolant is getting in their fuel rails?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Coolant Change - 07/21/04 06:53 PM
See the first thing I said is followed by a question mark. I was unsure if you were changing the subject and I asked though you never answered, just tried to aruge. I'm trying to discuss. I'm done with this thread and the thermostat thread just so you know because I know you want to continue to argue, PM me in that case and keep it off the threads.
Posted By: MeanGreen2 Re: Coolant Change - 07/21/04 07:19 PM
See the first thing I said is followed by a question mark. I was unsure if you were changing the subject and I asked though you never answered, just tried to aruge. I'm trying to discuss. I'm done with this thread and the thermostat thread just so you know because I know you want to continue to argue, PM me in that case and keep it off the threads.

"If so, talk to many duratec owners if you wanna hear about leaky gaskets."

See, it seems that you're trying to imply that coolant leaks are a problem at the intake gaskets on the Duratec, only because you tried to discredit my statement about leaks with GM's engines, using DexCool vs. Ford's engines that don't come equipped with DexCool...you never answered why I should ask about intake gaskets that leak coolant, even tho' there isn't any possible way for those intake gaskets to leak coolant.

If you don't want it on the threads, why did you ask it on the threads?
© CEG Archives