Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Mark 77 Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 12:52 PM
Found the same tread in the archives and thought it could be brought up again. So how many miles does your Zetec have, how about problems etc. Mine has 94000 and no major problems.
Posted By: StealthWyvern Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 12:54 PM
mine has 135k on it and has had a blown head gasket for the past 8 months. Other then that no problems other then rad hoses blowing.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 02:37 PM
Over 100k miles, not sure how many without doing some adding/subtracting because I have a different gauge cluster installed.
Posted By: BlackSativa Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 03:03 PM
Mine has over 201,000 on it. Other than some minor repairs (alternator, etc.) it's still running strong.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 03:06 PM
104K Baught it with 100689 (maybe?) at about 102K I had to have the timing belt replaced (740$)

Plugs, wires, coil before that at about 101K. Plugs again after the timing belt, because I was stupid to put Champions in there.

Thermostat replacement yesterday.

Brake Pads and cylender replacement on right back.

NOW having misfires, OR my clutch is slipping. I think I need to have my fuel injector cleaned really badly, but I have no idea since I have no CEL on (which is what makes me expect the clutch). I say the Fuel injector because when I have the A/C running (which requires more fuel to run) the bucking gets stronger and happens more often.

I will also soon need one, if not two of my front wheel bearing fixed (oh joy).

I swear to god, Im never going to get to do anything fun to this car.
Posted By: bentleywarren_dup1 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 03:15 PM
128k on 95 contour, 129k on mystique
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 03:20 PM
Originally posted by bentleywarren:

Hey, on your Stique, have you had to replace the clutch yet?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 04:35 PM
Originally posted by BlackSativa:
Mine has over 201,000 on it. Other than some minor repairs (alternator, etc.) it's still running strong.

What is your driving style? I think mine and many others' style on here is "drive it like you stole it".
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 04:38 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerk:

Mine at 100K after towing a 900 lbs trailer throught the mountains 8 times.....
Posted By: R_G Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 05:13 PM
107 - all miles put myself. Nothing major - knock on wood - except for spark plugs (but of course) and wires and coil pack, and exhaust, wait mods are excluded here.
Posted By: Nate S Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 05:30 PM
50k .
still, i thought i would just put in that nothing major has gone wrong. spark plugs, wires, o2 sensors etc. did get a check engine light once or twice, but i think that might have been from bad gas, or the gas cap not being screwed on tight enough...
Posted By: Stryker Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 06:08 PM
84K on my 1995...runs great!
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 08:15 PM
i have 95 k on mine. Had to replace spark plug wires and coil. Other than that just regular maintenance issues. Oh had to get new front wheel bearings if thats any info, i know it aint the engine though
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/16/04 10:24 PM
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 01:26 AM
126k on my 95 (9/94 built date) Mystique

new radiator
replaced timing belt (looked new, tensioner was another story)
right front wheel bearing
plug wires went bad

been very happy with the car

clutch is original and I do drive the car hard, but it feels fine still

had the car since 83k
Posted By: cowgod_dup1 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 02:38 AM
Just under 49K on mine. Only problem I've had so far was a leaky valve cover gasket.
Posted By: BlackSativa Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by BlackSativa:

What is your driving style? I think mine and many others' style on here is "drive it like you stole it".

Very similar to yours most of the time. However, there are also those moments when you just need to cruise.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 05:49 AM
Cool, glad to see a zetec can make it that long. I usually am pretty easy on my car, I rarely go full throttle. Though tonite was one of those rare cases. It had rained and it was me, a srt4, and two v8 trucks. So we had a little fun in our work parking lot. Like redlining, wheel spinning fun for me. And clutch burning and finally tire burning fun for the srt4. One of the trucks has a modded 350 but one of the worst trannies ever, so he did a long one tire spinning, moving burnout. Fun stuff. (Just wish my ebrake was stronger )
Posted By: Stryker Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 06:29 AM
yeah my build date was july 1994 i believe 84K of fun. ill never sell it...why should i? when another engine and another quarter million miles can be had for just under $400.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 06:47 AM
Yeah I'll never sell mine, just because I've put too much money into it. Though really I wish I hadn't modded it cuz my mom would have helped me get a new car this year. Now why couldn't she have told me that before I bought this car.
Posted By: R_G Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 11:29 AM
Yeah I'll never sell mine, just because I've put too much money into it.

Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 11:45 AM
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:

I will never sell mine cus I put alot of work in it! A proud achievement for me.

I worked in the [censored] 0°F weather trying to fix her! (When it was [censored] Champion sparkplugs that went bad... those will never see my engine again....)
Posted By: bentleywarren_dup1 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 01:10 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerk:

Nope, not that I know of. It had 89k when I bought it, so I don't know the history, but based on the condition of everything else in the car, I feel fairly sure that the clutch had not been replaced.

For what it's worth, the zetecs in both cars are running great, and neither use any oil. It's just the rest of the car that I have to work with constantly.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 05:29 PM
this is whats starting to convince me its not the clutch. Because hardly anybody here has had to replace it, some have 190K on their clutch. The Clutch on that MTX-75 is well built.
Posted By: Joebob Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 05:49 PM
130K on my 99 ATX(Built 4/99). I drive it really hard. The only annoying thing I have right now is a loss in low-end power. Starting from a stop with the AC on and the throttle wide open takes longer than it used to and I cannot figure out why.

Other than scheduled maintenance:
1) Water pump (replaced because it was cheap while replacing timing belt, not because it was bad)
2) Alternator (darn thing left me stranded!)
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 07:26 PM
3) dirty fuel injector?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/17/04 10:47 PM
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:

I've put way too much in mine......and I am buying another Tour!
Posted By: Stryker Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/18/04 02:35 PM
way to go hector, star all over again...make it an SVT this time...i hate to think what you could do if you got your hands on one of those
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/19/04 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Stryker:
way to go hector, star all over again...make it an SVT this time...i hate to think what you could do if you got your hands on one of those

Posted By: HickoryC Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/20/04 02:47 PM
Bought mine new, July 3 will make 8 years. Rolling into 155,000 miles this week.

Amazing but driver's seat still looks and supports like new! Just bought a '99 Crown Vic with 44,000 miles and the driver's seat is lumpy and off center---in other words---worn out. Wish I could get really nice Contour-like front buckets for the Crown Vic.

At 79,000 I brought it in for one of the recalls. Thirty minutes after I drove out of that Ford dealership, the alternator went out. That's the one and only breakdown...you'll never convice me it wasn't sabotaged by the Ford mechanic.

Original clutch & timing belt.

Replaced plugs and wires at 140,000; valve cover gasket just recently, at which time I noted that the timing belt still shows no sign of wear.

Do my own maintenance...Yes, I am able to reach down the firewall: remove filter, dump it, and pull it up through the top (took about 20-30 changes before I was able to do that).

Why ever sell? It doesn't have any book value.

By the way, I drive rather fast and hard. It reminds me mostly of my '65 Mustang (that I bought new), except it handles better and has more forward gears.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/20/04 04:57 PM
Originally posted by HickoryDean:
Bought mine new, July 3 will make 8 years. Rolling into 155,000 miles this week.

Do my own maintenance...Yes, I am able to reach down the firewall: remove filter, dump it, and pull it up through the top (took about 20-30 changes before I was able to do that).

reach down and remove what filter? Another new thing i havent heard of
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/21/04 04:23 AM
Oil,, and only (easily) doable on a 98+, not fun to do it that way on a pre98.
Posted By: Stryker Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/21/04 05:51 AM
done want to start a new thread for this, so allow me to hijack for a moment...a friend of mine with a 1995 SE says that his duratech has turned over 3 times.but his odometer reads 89,XXX. he says that the last digit on the odometer turns over to 2 and then goes back to zero...is this true? i dont see how it could be, but i suppose its possible...
Posted By: Contour39191 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/24/04 10:33 PM
I currently have 240,000 miles on my 1996 countour GL, no major problems except waterpump alternator and hoses. Shes a great machine.
Posted By: Mark 77 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/25/04 04:23 PM
Wow. 240k miles and still going strong, that's great. I did an oil change last week and the mecanic told me my car is in great condition considering it's 6 years old. No oil leaks and no rust anywhere.
Posted By: Nate S Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/26/04 06:47 PM
youre in finland?
Posted By: R_G Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/27/04 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Nate S:
youre in finland?

So, u drive a Mondi?

P.S. Once, on one of my visits to Helsinki I got a pair of Jensen tweeters. Oh well, it was like 12 yrs ago.
Posted By: Stryker Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/27/04 03:55 PM
no, he drives a contour.
Posted By: R_G Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/27/04 04:02 PM
How on earth did he get his Contour to Finland????
Posted By: Stryker Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/27/04 04:05 PM
2 ways, airplane, or boat...im guessing train
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/27/04 07:16 PM
you can't forget by way of superman.
Posted By: Mark 77 Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/29/04 09:19 AM
No superman was not involved
I drive a Contour that the guy i bought it from brought whith him when he moved back to Finland from California.
It' quite unusual here but there are a few. Most Mondeo parts fit it so parts are no problems.
Posted By: Nate S Re: Highest milage Zetec? - 06/29/04 08:51 PM
very cool... you should get some pics!
© CEG Archives