Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Seawulf_dup1 Engine swap,removal...help? - 08/12/03 01:50 AM
It's gettin on time for me to replace my blown engine and I was wondering if anybody else has swapped out motors on their zetec?

I plan on eventually reading the manual but wanted to post first and see if anybody had done it and if you have any suggestions, tips, etc...

Thanks.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Engine swap,removal...help? - 08/12/03 02:27 AM
You have 2 options, out the bottom or out the top. If you go out the top, you may have to remove tranny, not sure though. But if you leave it on, it may just be harder to pull out. We've got those nice hooks on top though to hook a engine lift to.
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: Engine swap,removal...help? - 08/12/03 04:23 PM
When mine was done they took it out the bottom. Then I spoke to another mechanic who thought that the removal from the bottom was completely uneeded. Point. Looks like you can do whatever you are comfortable with or have tools to do. I do beleive however the Haynes Manual states directions for removal through the top.
Posted By: sosaudio1 Re: Engine swap,removal...help? - 08/13/03 08:27 AM
they actually recommend thru the bottom...I would say, it looks like either way will work, just remember you will have to take your hood completely off and take your time while removing it, get a friend to do the cranking while you watch and move parts around to clear.

Have fun and tell us what you did finally
Rich
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: Engine swap,removal...help? - 08/14/03 04:15 AM
I pulled mine out the top with the tranny still in place (though we did dribble a little ATX fluid while wiggling it around).
Posted By: Champagne96GL Re: Engine swap,removal...help? - 08/16/03 01:01 AM
Usually you can take the engine and trans out through the top but you have to tilt the engine on the cherry picker to do so. I just finished a B16 swap into a 91 integra the other day, that was what we had to do.
© CEG Archives