Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Realy poor performance off the line - 07/23/03 05:47 AM
Hi all, been along time since I posted last, good to be back.

My Mystique was on a lot for sale for the past two months, and as no one bought it, I have it back. When I collected it I noticed that the MIL was on. I reset the computer to see if it would come back on, and so far (one and a half weeks later) it hasn't. All of the monitors have been through their "trip drive cycles" and still no DTC's pending or otherwise.
The main reason for this post is to ask you guys for input as to why my Mercury is flat off of the line when I hit the gas for about five seconds (stalled once and has been as long as ten seconds.)
Vehicle is '96 2.0 ATX with all stock components under the hood and after market muffler (Flo-Pro) with resonator removed.
Looking forward to your input....
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/23/03 06:29 AM
Fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, pcv valve, dirty injectors, dirty MAF, dirty air filter, etc. did you get the code pulled when the CEL was on? Usually if an o2 sensor is going out, it'll pop a code, you can reset it and it won't come back for a while until it completely goes out. But the o2 sensor usually goes bad because of something else, like one of the things listed.
Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/23/03 03:24 PM
Hi Kremit and thanks for your response.
All parts that you listed have been replaced recently with the exception of the plug wires and I thought of that last night while browsing through some other posts. Local shop found only a set of Bosch wires (any good?) so I'll search a bit more for something nicer.

O2 sensors (both) replaced last year, MAF sensor was dirty once, Ford blamed the K&N drop-in filter (oil in filter coats the wire!!!) so I changed it out for an open element K&N without problem. Stock airbox was replaced when I tried selling the car, so maybe the air box is leaking some dirt into the MAF??!! I'll try getting that cleaned today.

Will check back later....
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/23/03 06:02 PM
get FMS wires from www.batinc.net , use autolite double plat plugs.
Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 02:28 AM
Well.....

I had a tranny flush done today, then I changed the oil (Mobile One 'course!) then, as I found where the PCV valve was (I could even see it!!!) and I had the car on jack stands, I decided to replace the PCV.

I should have pulled my own teeth out instead, that was, without a doubt, the worst job I ever did on any Motor bar none. As a result of pulling almost everything off the front of the engine I discovered a huge crack in the exhaust manifold between number two & three cylinders (need a joy gremlin with a sarcastic look on it's face here!) Could be that this where my power loss is at!!!

So I'm in the shop next week for some welding apparently, my local shop says they have a lot of success with this route (I have considered a header, but opted not to).

Thanks for your input Kremit (BTW is that a typo-Kermit?)
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 03:42 AM
not a typo,, from a funny internet mp3
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 03:47 AM
Hi David, welcome! Also what part of BC are you in. Altitude can affect performance and a dusty town too. I'm down by ocean so it's all good here, but where are you?
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 04:49 AM
Originally posted by DavidBC:
As a result of pulling almost everything off the front of the engine I discovered a huge crack in the exhaust manifold between number two & three cylinders (need a joy gremlin with a sarcastic look on it's face here!) Could be that this where my power loss is at!!!

This will not be the cause of the power loss.

Is the problem just from a standing start, or is power lacking or slow to build up at other times?

Is the idle O/K?

Other possibilities include: timing belt, TPS, FPR, and sometimes a DPFE starting to go out.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 04:52 AM
what is DPFE?
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 06:01 AM
DPFE = Differential Pressure Feedback EGR "sensor"

It's the box with two red hoses that go to the EGR tube.

Odd that it's not on the Terminology FAQ.
Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 06:11 AM
I'm in Westbank (nr Kelowna) which is above sea level IINM.
Dusty too with it being in a desert region (Cleaned the MAF and the PCV filter today, Fram air filter like new)
Performance is really at it worst under load (a/c on) and yup it's just off of the line; hit gas, wait a bit then off we go (eventually)

I have had a few MIL's in the last couple of years re. O2 sensors (replaced them both-Bosch) and potential vaccum leaks (good mechanic scratched his head) which is why I bought the OBDII code reader ($199.95 on sale @ Canadian Tire eh!) It'll pay for itself in four MIL's! and the batteries WERE included LOL!!!!

Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 06:19 AM
Hey Kremit,
I know it's waaay off topic, do you have a link to/copy of the MP3 you got your handle from?

Love to hear/see it!
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 06:34 AM
I'm in Westbank (nr Kelowna) which is above sea level IINM.
Dusty too with it being in a desert region (Cleaned the MAF and the PCV filter today, Fram air filter like new)
Performance is really at it worst under load (a/c on) and yup it's just off of the line; hit gas, wait a bit then off we go (eventually)

I have had a few MIL's in the last couple of years re. O2 sensors (replaced them both-Bosch) and potential vaccum leaks (good mechanic scratched his head) which is why I bought the OBDII code reader ($199.95 on sale @ Canadian Tire eh!) It'll pay for itself in four MIL's! and the batteries WERE included LOL!!!!

Oh yeah, I was in westback 2 months ago, yeah a tad dusty and HOT. Try getting a freer flowing air filter. Also, tell me when you see that scanner on sale again!
Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 06:46 AM
I bought it lat week (Thursday) the lady at the parts counter brought me over to Customer Service, scanned the tool (rang in @ $249.95) made a phone call and told me I was gonna love her..... $ 150 off? 'Course I love her (aksed her what time she finished work, my G/F laughed at that one!!) Guess they were on sale a week or two before, why not give it a try?!

I made an intake last year ( K&N conical open element, sewer pipe (!) and a peice from a 5.0 Mustang to attatch it to the throttle body. Reeaally ghetto but did the trick, it was a mock up of something I planned to do with some 3" O/D exhaust pipe that I never finished (wife left, and so did my motivation). I took it all off when I was selling the Mystique, and it'll all go back on in a few weeks, along with a decent stereo system from my van (RIP)

Feel free to PM me
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/24/03 09:37 PM
Hey Kremit,
I know it's waaay off topic, do you have a link to/copy of the MP3 you got your handle from?

Love to hear/see it!

I'll try to get it for you sometime.
Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/25/03 04:06 AM
So, after changing the oil & filter and PCV valve my performance is back somewhat! Maybe the oil change intervals for Mobile One are every year instead of every other!!!!!

PCV valve was a real pain, old one still rattled but I changed none the less. Car runs fine, but will still get manifold welded next week.
Posted By: Mystic Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/26/03 11:41 PM
Hey David! Have you had your timing belt changed recently? Mine had never been changed (I'm the 2nd owner)until last week...I was having the same symptoms as yours. The belt was at the point of disintegrating + the timing was so far off that the catalytic converter had been plugged. Talk about back pressure!

Anyway, the new timing belt and catalytic converter ($$ ouch) have completely cured my anemic performance. Check the thread I started in the troubleshooting forum, --> My Poor Performance + A/C Fix <----

Please let us know what the "fix" was. Hope it's not the timing belt + cat! That'd be a real dog!

/Eric
Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 07/27/03 02:40 AM
Timing belt was replaced at around 120,000 km. Cat trouble may be possible due to rich mixture, both O2 sensors have been replaced (I did one myself-downstream, and it was oiled up pretty good, as were the plugs when they were changed) I wonder if the crack in the ex. manifold has been allowing oxygen into the exhaust gases, and fooling the computer into thinking the mixture is lean?

I'll clean it all up soon and get back to you..

In my experience oiled-gauze filters do require cleaning the MAF wire at least twice a year.
Took the car in for the manifold repair this AM
Got a call half hour later form the shop, car wouldn't start-fuel pump gone! $400 (CAD) just for the part That's one month payment for a brand new Diesel Jetta!!

Fingers crossed it comes back running well!
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Really poor performance off the line - 07/30/03 12:32 AM
You couldn't ask Lordco or some other parts store about how much they are?Sounds too much
Just phoned local Lordco and there's one in Vernon for $305.(retail for $435-I have an account!) Thing is though it's at a Kal Tire right now, and doesn't run. I can put it in if I could get it home, but the tow would cost nearly the difference and while I'm wrenching I don't have a car to go get stuff; Kal Tire lent me a '99 Cavalier (love it!!) However, I called Kal Tire and they will call to find out "how Lordco can sell me a part for less than what they would sell it to Kal Tire"

I guess I'll find out in the morning!
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Really poor performance off the line - 07/30/03 04:02 PM
Well, I don't want to rub it in but BCAA would charge you zippo if you had an account (which is cheaper thatn the tow from the garage to your house) It's already come in handy this year. Just my .02
When I said I had an account, this is a city employees discount. Did you mean that BCAA would tow me for free because of this, or if I was a member of BCAA I could get the tow?

P.S. They found me a cheaper fuel pump (Carter brand) after I queried the price, so thanks for putting that idea into my head.

P.P.S. I have my kids staying with me this week, so I don't really feel like working on the car anyway!!!!
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Really poor performance off the line - 07/30/03 08:08 PM
I'm pretty sure you can just call them to take it home(if you have the caa plus which gives you 6 calls up to 160kms each time) Good for you on the pump find
Ahh so you are a member of BCAA. Thought about it a few times but never joined! I've needed a tow about twice now (that's just for breakdowns-you know, when you get the vehicle back after it's been fixed!!!! ) and I've lived here for nearly eight years so I figure that I'm ahead of the game by not paying into BCAA all these years. Of course the only time you wish you had any insurance is when you don't have any!

P.S. How about them blueberries?!!!!!
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Really poor performance off the line - 07/30/03 09:35 PM
Blueberries are fine............in abbotsford
I'm in Corn Country? Don't ewe get dem 'dere sign about da Chillawhack Corne? Yeehaw
Posted By: tom_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 08/02/03 11:43 AM
Try changing your spark plug wires. I had the same problem off the line. From advice on this forum (thanks guys) I changed the plug wires and it went away. Could not believe that made such a differenc.

Check the spark plugs also. Check to see if the insulator is crack (ceramic part). Might just change them, its easy to damage them when removing.
Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 08/06/03 09:52 PM
Well I finally got my Mystique back from the shop (last week that is-been off line due to the fires in Kamloops area)
Manifold welded, fuel pump replaced, car runs great, no, even better than ever AND so far fuel ecconomy is awesome!!! I'll have to go through a tank to find out if there really is that much of an increase in ecconomy or if somethings stuck on the pump!!LOL
Will update you soon!
Posted By: TronX Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 08/09/03 01:12 AM
Well I finally got my Mystique back from the shop (last week that is-been off line due to the fires in Kamloops area)
Manifold welded, fuel pump replaced, car runs great, no, even better than ever AND so far fuel ecconomy is awesome!!! I'll have to go through a tank to find out if there really is that much of an increase in ecconomy or if somethings stuck on the pump!!LOL
Will update you soon!

What made you think the pump was bad?
I'm thinking of changing my gas filter.

Posted By: DavidBC_dup1 Re: Realy poor performance off the line - 08/14/03 07:04 AM
I left it at the shop so that they could fix the manifold, and it wouldn't start when they went to bring her in diagnosis = fuel pump
hey kids...kremit de frog here.. lol
© CEG Archives