Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: volcomsk8a strut spring help - 08/17/06 10:53 PM
It feels as if my rear spring is broken. i can hear it. how much do these go for? do i need to replace both? also i read up the faq and it doesnt look to bad to change. any done this before? how was it
Posted By: starjammir Re: strut spring help - 08/17/06 10:59 PM
I got a set of stock rear springs (one has 500 miles the other has 0), PM me if you want em, Ill give ya a good price
Posted By: volcomsk8a Re: strut spring help - 08/18/06 01:17 AM
anyone know if i'm going to need struts too? and what would ford charge?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: strut spring help - 08/18/06 01:27 AM
What exactly does the car feel like? This will tell us if it is the spring or strut that is worn.

If you are going to replace one....replace the opposite side.
Posted By: volcomsk8a Re: strut spring help - 08/18/06 01:44 AM
when driving, getting out of the car, going over a bump, pushing down on the back the drivers side it clunks. it makes a loud noise. it feels to me as if the spring is cracked but i really couldnt see anything.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: strut spring help - 08/20/06 02:01 AM
Clunking is usually a sign of something loose. Look around at the more simple options then going straight to R&R.
Posted By: volcomsk8a Re: strut spring help - 08/20/06 04:29 PM
I really can't tell anything, everything looks all right. The spring looks nice and solid. The symptoms are when braking i get a shake from that spring area, when going over bumps i get a dull clunk from the area.
Posted By: volcomsk8a Re: strut spring help - 08/22/06 12:53 AM
anyone got another idea?
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: strut spring help - 08/22/06 01:54 AM
Originally posted by volcomsk8a:
anyone got another idea?

Inspect swaybar mounts, brackets and swaybarlink bushings and make sure the links r good and bolts r to correct TQ.

Also have someone else bouce the car, use papertowel roll on one ear and see if you can pinpoint the direction of noise. Even a mechanics stethoscope using just the tube can give you and idea how high or low in the suspension to start checking.
Posted By: volcomsk8a Re: strut spring help - 08/25/06 09:07 PM
well im still trying to pinpoint it but the sound sounds like its coming from the bottom of the spring where it goes into the cup, anyone ever deal with this problem
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: strut spring help - 08/26/06 06:09 AM
Originally posted by jd2-98s:
Originally posted by volcomsk8a:
anyone got another idea?

Inspect swaybar mounts, brackets and swaybarlink bushings and make sure the links r good and bolts r to correct TQ.

Also have someone else bouce the car, use papertowel roll on one ear and see if you can pinpoint the direction of noise. Even a mechanics stethoscope using just the tube can give you and idea how high or low in the suspension to start checking.

Thats what i was gonna say but you beat me to it. tThats not a bad idea.
Posted By: SquareHead Re: strut spring help - 08/31/06 02:20 AM
The last coil in the cup could be cracked.
If you're replacing springs, do the struts as well.
I put Monroe Sense-atracs on mine and new springs.
Struts were $90 each.
Coils were $75 each.
© CEG Archives