Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ev1lbry4n Car won't start - 06/30/06 11:59 PM
i was out driving last weekend and about 3 blocks from my house the car died, it just stalled right out. Everyone told me fuel pump...fule pump. So i went out and paid $200 for a new pump.Screwed around for 2 hours to put it in. THE CAR STILL WONT TURN OVER!!!! I checked the fuse and relay and there good.With the tank in the pump i cant hear it runing or not. I'm stumped i'm abosultly stumped!! I'm ready to throw a match at the thing and blow it to bits
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Car won't start - 07/01/06 12:35 AM
Do you hear the starter tring to turn the engine over? Check the batterys' charge. If the whole interior lights flickered. It might be the alternator. Check the oil level also.

Update with more info, if you can.
Posted By: ev1lbry4n Re: Car won't start - 07/01/06 06:24 PM
- fully charged and everthing works

-Fuel pump replaced

-ignition fuse replaced (some moron took one of the maxi fuses and ran a wire thew it to jump it)

-unhooked the bat and re hooked it up (to see if it would reset something)

- fuel pump fuse good

-relay tested and good

-mass air flow, air temp and idle air cleaned

-Filter i have a new one but i need to get the car up to change it

I was reading something in the hanes manual about a fail-safe mode (limp-home mode) could it be that??? it said i have to get it on a comp to fix it
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: Car won't start - 07/01/06 10:16 PM
So, is it cranking? As in when you turn the key to start, it turns over the engine but won't run?

Posted By: ev1lbry4n Re: Car won't start - 07/01/06 11:33 PM
bingo
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: Car won't start - 07/02/06 01:23 AM
Ok, to answer the limp-home-mode, the car would be running still. I should say, it detects a bad/no input from a sensor and goes into a basic program to run the car. In this mode you will burn more gas. The computer they are refering to would be an ODBII code reader.

This comes down to spark, or fuel or engine managment computer.

When you turn the key to run, but not start, you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime. Also your CEL should be on (before turning to the 3rd position of the key which is start). Do you hear fuel pump prime and have CEL on before starting?
Posted By: sewerman Re: Car won't start - 07/03/06 06:49 PM
check timming belt.
© CEG Archives