Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: tbonester rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/24/06 02:54 PM
I've searched and I've seen this issue mentioned on the V6's but not the 4's so I'll ask. My 5 speed Mystique rpms don't fall between shifts. If anything they pick up a few rpms initially then after few seconds they will eventually fall. Any help would be GREAT!
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/24/06 02:59 PM
Clean the throttle body.

TB cleaning.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=920243&Forum=trouble&Words=p0401&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=919728&Search=true#Post920243
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/24/06 09:08 PM
Check your throttle cable too. If it's frayed or crimped, this can be a dangerous condition.
Posted By: Harrry Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/25/06 12:31 AM
Originally posted by tbonester:
I've searched and I've seen this issue mentioned on the V6's but not the 4's so I'll ask. My 5 speed Mystique rpms don't fall between shifts. If anything they pick up a few rpms initially then after few seconds they will eventually fall. Any help would be GREAT!

You have a bad throttle position sensor. Go to the ford dealer and get a new one.

TPS sensor tell them. $43.00

My car did the identical thing.

So tps is your answer.

Have a good day
Posted By: tbonester Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/25/06 04:23 PM
Thanks for the help. Is the TPS an easy do-it-yourself project? I haven't had the car long and have been under the hood very little.

The local dealer wants $55 for one. Is that something I can get at Autozone or is that one you need to get at the dealer?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/25/06 04:44 PM
Thanks for the help. Is the TPS an easy do-it-yourself project? I haven't had the car long and have been under the hood very little.

Here is a how-to from Autozone.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/58/0900823d801bcb58.jsp
Posted By: Tisby Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/25/06 05:06 PM
The local dealer wants $55 for one. Is that something I can get at Autozone or is that one you need to get at the dealer?

I dunno about AutoZoo or Advance, but teamfordparts.com has it for $26.33. That's less than half of what you have to pay at your dealer. Granted, you'll have to pay shipping, but it's still worth saving the money. Shipping is cheap AND fair from them too...

Also, I'd go ahead and clean the TB now and inspect the cables while you're at it. Cheap and easy first...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/25/06 10:54 PM
With the TPS, if they are the original screws make sure to pull off the TB and size the bit/screwdriver to the screws accordingly. They like to strip.
Posted By: Tisby Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/26/06 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Evo-Twin-red:
With the TPS, if they are the original screws make sure to pull off the TB and size the bit/screwdriver to the screws accordingly. They like to strip.

Ahh... the wise voice of experience!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: rpms don't fall between shifts - 05/26/06 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Tisby:
Originally posted by Evo-Twin-red:

Ahh... the wise voice of experience!

Yes....nothing like drilling out screws on a TB.
© CEG Archives