Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BOUCH96 vac leak - 05/11/06 02:51 AM
does anyone know is there any kind of test that will tell you were a vacume leak is.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: vac leak - 05/11/06 03:09 AM
See my response to your cross post of this in the NE forum. People here don't mind helping if you try, but you need to put some effort in to it first. First, you need to search. If you can't find any info in multiple forums, then you post about your problem. Describe what the car is doing that make you think you have a vacuum leak. Also post year, model, engine, any modifications that could affect that, etc. Did you check all the vacuum hoses for tears or holes? etc... Put the effort into it, and if you still can't figure it out, then ask for help........
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: vac leak - 05/11/06 03:13 AM
Spray starting fluid on hoses, if the engine bogs down, that's where the leak is. You can also hear a lot of leaks.
Posted By: BOUCH96 Re: vac leak - 05/11/06 03:19 AM
checked all hoses visually couldnt find it but im trowin the code for vac leak
Posted By: Augi Re: vac leak - 05/13/06 07:55 AM
I knowmy car hisses when you look under the hood,. everyone thinks there is a vaccum leak, but nobody can ever find one.
Posted By: projectSHO89_dup1 Re: vac leak - 05/20/06 10:24 PM
Originally posted by BOUCH96:
does anyone know is there any kind of test that will tell you were a vacume leak is.

Most reliable is a "smoke" test. The equipment is not cheap so you'll have to find a well equipped shop and be prepared to pay a diagnostic fee.

Spraying suspect areas with carb cleaner is one alternative. An unlit propane torch is another. Either will cause a change in the idle speed when the enrichment gets sucked into the intake through a leak.

Steve

Posted By: Figols Re: vac leak - 05/22/06 10:28 AM
Assuming that you have a zetec (because of the forum we're in) one of the most common areas I've found to leak is the rigid hose that goes from the brake booster to teh intake manifold. I've had several that had a crack about mid way down right before the bend. It's not enough of a leak to be noticed in the brakes, but it will cause a hiss and trip a code. Another area to look is the buddle with the 2 vaccum lines and heater hose that is wraped in a rubber sleave. I've had a couple that the clip for the a/c line had worn through one of the vaccum lines. If you're hearing a hiss, get a piece of hose, put one end to your ear and follow along the vaccum lines with hte other (while the car is running). You'll find it that way.
Posted By: BOUCH96 Re: vac leak - 05/23/06 02:03 AM
would this problem if it got bad enough cause the car to pop almost like a back fire behind the throtle area. and also when he gas pedale is pressed it pops jerks and just plain old runs like crap?

chris
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: vac leak - 05/23/06 03:25 AM
What CEL codes are you getting? Yes, a massive vacuum leak could causet backfiring and jerking on acceleration.
© CEG Archives