Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I've had an oil leak in my tour for several months now. I'm much more concerned about it now. Several months ago I drove the car pretty hard and I think that's when it started the leak. I've noticed that the level of the engine oil has noticably dropped. The level of the ATX fluid looks normal. What could it be?

The blue circle is showing where I can see it dripping motor oil. Look at my tranny covered in motor oil.

Another pic of my tranny covered in motor oil. I know for sure it's motor oil. I've checked.

There is just a bit of dried up oil on the top of the engine by the filling cap.
main seal?
Clean the area well. Sprinkle some talcum powder all around it. Then drive it for a mile or two and you can probably narrow down where the leak is from.
I took it to a shop so they could look at it. They said it looks like it is leaking between the tranny and the engine. They said it might be the rear main seal. I hope not.

My car has 64k on it.

Looks like a rear main to me. I have 13X,XXX miles on mine and beat it pretty hard. I have that same leak. I bought a parts car with the same motor and trans to fix it. Then rebuild the original motor. Hope it goes well for you and hope that it is not it.
I suppose you could goto autozone and try a seal sweller.
A chemical in there supposedly softens and swells the rubber, perhaps then if it is a rear seal, it would go away. Also check the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket.
On my contour zetec, the oil pan had rusted out.
Originally posted by sdowney717:
A chemical in there supposedly softens and swells the rubber, perhaps then if it is a rear seal, it would go away. Also check the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket.

ATP #atc-205 fluid system sealer

Originally posted by ev1lbry4n:
Originally posted by sdowney717:

ATP #atc-205 fluid system sealer

Maybe I'll consider getting a sealer, but I still want to get a second opinion from another shop.

How do u check if the valve cover gasket is good?
Like I originally said, and as the shop said, looks like the main seal. By all means have another shop look at it, but I'd be really surprised if it's something else.
Originally posted by PacificTourG:

Maybe I'll consider getting a sealer, but I still want to get a second opinion from another shop.

How do u check if the valve cover gasket is good?

get a shop to inject dye in to the oil. drive it for a day and get it under a uv light. you'll see the trails bright as day
For now I'm just going to try using a sealer to see if that will help. I know it doesn't always work, but I want to give it a try. If that doesn't work then I'll just go to another shop and get it checked out.

I bought two sealers. I can't decide which one I want to use. Which one you think will help more? Help me decide. I don't have any smoking, just a leak.

Do the one with the money back guarantee first. That way you get your money back without hassles if it doesn't work.
© CEG Archives