Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: PurpleCat timing, how to - 04/03/06 05:46 PM
ok, ok, i know i am a newbie, but i kinda need this fast. can the timing belt be repaced without any tools?? if so, please tell me how to allign everything. thank you very muce. and if anyone has any questions on the 3.0L or the 2.5L duratec...i'm your man
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: timing, how to - 04/03/06 06:02 PM
Well, you are not going to have fun changing out that belt.

Just thinking about it makes me cringe. It's utter torture on a Pre98.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: timing, how to - 04/03/06 06:55 PM
Welcome Purplecat .

This thread has some hints from JD28.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=1027411&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: timing, how to - 04/03/06 09:17 PM
Get a Gates Timing Belt kit, which will come with awesome instructions. A Haynes has the correct info too. You do need a locking tool kit, OTC 6486 is the Zetec locking set. Should be able to find it online somewhere for 20-25 bucks. I think you might want to grab a water pump too, because you'll be right there.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: timing, how to - 04/04/06 05:48 AM
Originally posted by jd28:
Get a Gates Timing Belt kit, which will come with awesome instructions. A Haynes has the correct info too. You do need a locking tool kit, OTC 6486 is the Zetec locking set. Should be able to find it online somewhere for 20-25 bucks. I think you might want to grab a water pump too, because you'll be right there.

Good Idea! If you do get the water pump, get one with metal blades, not the plastic!
Posted By: williamsmithers Re: timing, how to - 04/07/06 11:14 PM
hey guys, i'm about to do this myself on the wife's car, 96 contour gl, and i had a couple of questions
1. does the timming belt tensioner suppose to have a spring on it? (mine doesn't)

2. what size tool do i need to use to loosen the cam sprocket's? (gonna have to buy one)

oh, i'm getting the cam alighnment tool so i've got that covered.

thanks in adavance!

Will
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: timing, how to - 04/09/06 12:24 AM
Get a water pump too, if it's never been done. Hmmmm. Why can't I remember if there was a spring... Look for a gates timing belt kit it will come with new rollers and tensioner and timing belt. Also get the crank locking bolt. My cams have flat spots for holding cams with wrench (98 vct) the pre 98 I think you need a fork looking tool, Haynes has coverage on this and the self made holding tool. I think it's 13 bucks at almost any auto parts store, nice section to read over (I do this on the toil... nevermind).
Posted By: williamsmithers Re: timing, how to - 04/11/06 03:32 AM
Thanks Jd, this tour's been sitting in my driveway for a year or so, been to 4 mechanic's nobody could tell me why it idled like crap, the first replaced the timming system and water pump, and i found that the cam's are not aligned like they're suppose to be, one is off a tooth or two, 3 other mech's couldn't find this, 2 of which were dealerships! i'm hoping this will fix my problem cause i've already done the iat, egr, mass air, wire's, plugs (ford) and everything else ive ever read about.
on the timming tensioner does anybody have an idea if their is suppose to be a spring, and what size torx(?) bit do i need to buy to loosen the cam gears?
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: timing, how to - 04/11/06 01:48 PM
It's a 55M
Posted By: williamsmithers Re: timing, how to - 04/14/06 08:27 PM
thanks!
got another one, where's the hole that you put the crank lock pin in? i can't find it.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: timing, how to - 04/15/06 01:23 AM
Originally posted by williamsmithers:
... where's the hole that you put the crank lock pin in? ...

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=1201629&Forum=All_Forums&Words=20705&Match=Username&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1201617&Search=true#Post1201629
Posted By: williamsmithers Re: timing, how to - 04/15/06 02:11 AM
thank you very much tony.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: timing, how to - 04/15/06 11:27 PM
make sure to buy the pully kit too. ive seen them break multiple times before
© CEG Archives