Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SignalD Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/18/06 12:23 AM
I've been trolling around the forums for a while and found a lot of helpful info but I could use a few oppinions on this problem:

Car was running great until I changed the spark plugs, afterwards the car either runs really rough (at least one cylinder not firing) or won't start at all. I've since replaced all the plugs with another new set and changed the wires but I'm still having the same problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
are they gapped right?
Posted By: SignalD Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/18/06 12:32 AM
Yeah unfortunately that's the first thing I checked
You do have the firing order correct (wires on the right plugs), right?
Originally posted by SVTfrog:
You do have the firing order correct (wires on the right plugs), right?

that was my next suggetion.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/18/06 01:14 AM
Check the firing order. Sounds like you got some wires in the wrong spot.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/18/06 04:42 AM
I hope this doesn't happen to me one my ignition wires arrive and the spark plug change. I'm going to take a pic before I do anything, so I don't mess up.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/18/06 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Kerry2Kool4U:
I hope this doesn't happen to me one my ignition wires arrive and the spark plug change. I'm going to take a pic before I do anything, so I don't mess up.

Do what I did.....mark the wires with a perm marker when doing a spark plug change. Remember 1 is the closest to the serpentine belt.

When changing the wires themselves.....do one wire at the time....that takes away that factor of messing up the order when reinstalling.
Posted By: SignalD Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/20/06 12:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I ran the wires again and its still doing it. Mechanic says it probably 'jumped timing' , is this very likely?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/20/06 01:07 AM
Originally posted by SignalD:
Thanks for the suggestions, I ran the wires again and its still doing it. Mechanic says it probably 'jumped timing' , is this very likely?

It is possible.....but if started after the spark plug change.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/20/06 02:21 AM
Just for grins, go check the wiring order again.

Zetec 2.0 4 cylinder

Firewall
Engine 1 2 3 4 ... Coil 1 3
Radiator ............. ....4 2
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/20/06 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Just for grins, go check the wiring order again.

Zetec 2.0 4 cylinder

Firewall
Engine 1 2 3 4 ... Coil 1 3
Radiator ............. ....4 2

That is an awesome map of the engine bay No seriously I like how you did that.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/20/06 02:32 AM
Originally posted by jd28:
...That is an awesome map of the engine bay No seriously I like how you did that.

LOL. I read a thread with the Duratec wiring order some time ago. I think it was a post that Ray did, and when someone requested the wiring order for the Zetec a few months ago, I posted it in the same manner. It has come in handy many times.
Posted By: jpshaw Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/20/06 04:07 PM
Changed plugs and wires on my Zetec about two weeks ago. Same thing. Just pulled and reseated the boots. Number (2) was not popping in all the way even though the boot looked flush with the valve (cam) cover.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/20/06 10:57 PM
Originally posted by jpshaw:
Changed plugs and wires on my Zetec about two weeks ago. Same thing. Just pulled and reseated the boots. Number (2) was not popping in all the way even though the boot looked flush with the valve (cam) cover.

I noticed on mine that sometimes happens. So everytime I did the plugs I pushed down on the boots a couple of times.
Posted By: SignalD Re: Won't start after spark plug change... - 03/22/06 09:43 PM
Thanks again for all the input. I ended up taking it to my mechanic and he says all cylinders are firing and that the problem is the MAF - says its messed up and subsequently dumping too much fuel in. He'll only install a factory MAF (expensive) because they've had bad experiences with used MAFs and (he says) aftermarket ones never work. I can understand where he's coming from with used MAF's but I can't understand why an aftermarket MAF made for the car wouldn't work I can actually afford an ACDelco one and I've taken my MAF out before to clean it after seeing the HOWTO so installation wouldn't be a problem. Has anyone here had good or bad experiences with aftermarket MAFs? I'm planning on cleaning it again and resetting the computer which hopefully will do it but if not I'm not sure what route to go.
I've seen multiple fords with rebuilt/aftermarket MAFs that run fine. Someone may give you a better idea what brand to get.
© CEG Archives