Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: KerryKool Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/10/06 04:48 AM
Every so often, after driving ~15 miles to school, on the way home the check engine light would come on. But soon after it was lit, would be off again. I can never get it to the mechanics while the light is on. Any ideas? Nothings is noticably wrong with it.

BTW, I'm replacing the air filter and spark plugs very soon (w/in the next week), hopefully it solves the problem. I'm also looking for some ignition wires if any one has any ford racing or magnacore sets avaliable. PM me if you do.

Thanks.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/10/06 05:18 AM
have you taken it somewhere to pull any codes that might possible be in there....kinda sounds like a loose wire or connection somewhere
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/10/06 01:19 PM
Sounds like Misfireing to me..when was the last time you changed the plugs and wires.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/10/06 01:25 PM
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-VIII:
Sounds like Misfireing to me..when was the last time you changed the plugs and wires.

Posted By: projectSHO89_dup1 Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/10/06 01:58 PM
Since you have a 95, you can pull the codes yourself with nothing more than a paperclip and a set of instructions. Directions should be in the main site's FAQs or at www.fordfuelinjection.com

The light does not have to be on. The computer will store the code and maintain it for a minimum of 40 drive cycles for retrieval unless the computer is reset.

Attempting to diagnose the problem without the code(s) is about as effective as farting into the wind. Get the code(s).

Steve
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/10/06 06:07 PM
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Since you have a 95, you can pull the codes yourself with nothing more than a paperclip and a set of instructions. Directions should be in the main site's FAQs or at www.fordfuelinjection.com

The light does not have to be on. The computer will store the code and maintain it for a minimum of 40 drive cycles for retrieval unless the computer is reset.

Attempting to diagnose the problem without the code(s) is about as effective as farting into the wind. Get the code(s).

Steve

Wow, I learn something everyday, I'll try that.

Since I'm changing plugs real soon, hopefully it solves the problem, I'll let you know.
Posted By: mike_95se_dup1 Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/11/06 12:32 AM
i highly doubt a mis-fire. a mis-fire would more than likely be noticable as far as drivability is concerned and the light should be blinking off and on right in a row (on one second, off one second, on one second, off one second.....) i would place my money on an emissions sensor or something along those lines. just my opinion though. should def change the plugs and wires though just for preventitive maint.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/11/06 01:22 AM
I did that self test and I worked perfectly!

The codes I got are: 33, 55, 19, 33, 55, 19, 33, 23, 36, 33, 23, 36.

Some of the codes that I looked up didn't make since or I didn't know the term. But as soon as my air filter arrives, I'm changing the plugs. The wires will have to wait cause I want either Ford Racing or a Magnecor set. Hopefully it will solve the problem but from the codes, it doesn't look like it.
Posted By: mike_95se_dup1 Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/11/06 02:58 AM
just a heads up from what ive seen, you will wanna do wires soon. with it being a 95 and all, with you taking the wires off and disrupting them, you might run into an engine miss. they just get brittle. i would say anticipate them needing replacement in the near future.
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/11/06 03:52 PM
Get the ford racing ones, they are cheaper and just as good.
Posted By: zetecpower Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/12/06 08:01 PM
ive had the same problem and it was one of my sparkplugs misfirinf, i recommend platinum boshe or how ever you spell it. they last long and good in cold weather. good luck
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/12/06 11:24 PM
Misfire.

Ford Racing wires.

Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/13/06 12:01 AM
Mine did that when I had my misfires. Turns out water got down in the sparkplug wells when I washed the engine. New plugs and new wires should do the trick.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/13/06 12:02 AM
Originally posted by "Me Over At ChicagoCEG.com":
Hey guys I just ordered another set of Ford 9mm racing wires for the Focus. For anyone who wants a set you can get them from Bill that Chicago Connecton. The phone number is 773-229-0655. He gets an A+++ in customer satisfaction. Great shipping and beats everyone elses price as far as I know.

I believe the Zetec wires are $34.95 and Duratec wires are $42.00 for the set. But call him for the latest prices. He's on the south side of Chicago if anyone wants to pick them up from him. He usually keeps some in stock, but I would call first to make sure he has them.

He's just as great in person as he is on the phone!!! 8)

F.Y.I. They come in Red, Blue or Yellow and are the 9mm wires.

Posted By: projectSHO89_dup1 Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/13/06 01:19 PM
You should have gotten 3 digit codes....

Recheck...

Steve
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/13/06 07:31 PM
Ford wires were not proven to misfire on the Zetec..only the duratec and thats not all of them.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/13/06 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr.soprano:
ive had the same problem and it was one of my sparkplugs misfirinf, i recommend platinum boshe or how ever you spell it. they last long and good in cold weather. good luck

No no on the bosch, this is a zetec engine, and a ford one at that. Use Autolite double platinums or Motorcraft OEM replacement. I would recommend the Autolites.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Check Engine Light Flickering - 03/13/06 10:11 PM
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
You should have gotten 3 digit codes....

Recheck...

Steve

I wasn't sure if it I was looking for 2 or 3 digit codes but you can rearrange the numbers around...

To: 335, 519, 335, 519, 332, 336, 332, 336

I'm not sure what the definitions mean and don't how to fix it.

Is there a site that I can find Ford Racing wires and accept PayPal? Oh, and what size wire 8mm or 9mm? Does it matter?

Edit: I almost forgot, I finally recieved my K&N filter and will be going to pick up 4 Autolite APP-5364 Spark plugs(is that right?)

Thanks guys!
© CEG Archives