Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: contourfreak22 oil change question - 01/08/06 12:06 AM
ok i wanna do my oil change on my car right now i have in there exxon 10w 30 super flow. my question is that i bought motorcraft 10w 30 premiun synthetic can i go ahead and do this i heard if you add synthetic from regular oil it can ruin the oil seals. im guessing i can and it sounds odd to me that it would make the seals leak. let me know thanks.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: oil change question - 01/08/06 01:44 AM
Shouldn't have a problem....some people here have changed over to synthetic at +100k with no ill effects.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: oil change question - 01/08/06 04:39 AM
thanks
Posted By: RF Overlord Re: oil change question - 01/11/06 02:03 PM
Originally posted by contourfreak22:
i heard if you add synthetic from regular oil it can ruin the oil seals.

contourfreak, that's an old wives tale. WAY back in the day (early-mid '70s) there were in fact seal-compatibility issues with some of the very earliest synthetic oils. Those issues were resolved 25 years ago. You can switch to synthetic at any time.

If your motor is heavily sludged-up and/or has not been properly maintained, switching to synth oil CAN cause small leaks as it cleans out the old hardened crap that may have been plugging up dried-out seals, but those leaks will clear up quickly.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: oil change question - 01/11/06 03:00 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord:
i heard if you add synthetic from regular oil it can ruin the oil seals.

contourfreak, that's an old wives tale. WAY back in the day (early-mid '70s) there were in fact seal-compatibility issues with some of the very earliest synthetic oils. Those issues were resolved 25 years ago. You can switch to synthetic at any time.

If your motor is heavily sludged-up and/or has not been properly maintained, switching to synth oil CAN cause small leaks as it cleans out the old hardened crap that may have been plugging up dried-out seals, but those leaks will clear up quickly.

think that is what happened in my duratec, first oil change to synthetic was ok, on the second on a leak started, changed the oil again and I don't think that it has come back

if you are concerned about changing over you could always run a blend first then go completely synthetic although from what I read you don't have to
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: oil change question - 01/11/06 05:43 PM
thanks i put the premium synthetic in and i saw no leaks. thanks
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: oil change question - 01/11/06 06:05 PM
I've never heard of Motorcraft synthetic. Are you positive it is 100% synthetic and not a blend? (like Syntech)
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: oil change question - 01/11/06 08:01 PM
your right it is the blend heres the oil i got. i put 5qts of this.
Posted By: RF Overlord Re: oil change question - 01/13/06 07:46 PM
contourfreak:

You picked an excellent oil...good choice!

It's too soon to tell if you're going to develop any leaks...it takes a little while for the fresh oil to start cleaning things up, but since you didn't opt for the full synthetic, you most likely won't have any leaks anyway.

BTW...Matt R...there IS a Motorcraft full synthetic, it's just not commonly found outside the dealer, and even then they have to order it. I believe it's only available in 5W-30.
Posted By: blakjak Re: oil change question - 01/13/06 10:27 PM
this makes me sad. use mobil 1 synthetic..i would venture to say 'the best'
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: oil change question - 01/14/06 06:57 AM
Originally posted by the other davis:
this makes me sad. use mobil 1 synthetic..i would venture to say 'the best'

+1

I switched over to 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic at 98K, haven't had any issues. I just changed the oil....at 106K. In between then and now, I changed the filter about three times, but not the oil itself. As any of my friends know, I drive my car HARD, and it never let up on me. Fantastic stuff, and WELL worth the money. There's a reason Vipers, Porsches, Corvettes all come factory filled with the stuff...

Yeah, I read that right from the back of the bottle, but it really is fantastic stuff.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: oil change question - 01/15/06 04:08 AM
Yeah just not worth the price compared to Mobil 1, IMMO. Reason I never knew there was a Motorcraft synthetic... I never go to the dealer for oil.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: oil change question - 01/15/06 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Yeah just not worth the price compared to Mobil 1, IMMO. Reason I never knew there was a Motorcraft synthetic... I never go to the dealer for oil.

i went to walmart for that oil.
Posted By: jtour Re: oil change question - 01/16/06 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:

i went to walmart for that oil.

Yes, walmart is great to get oil at, so cheap!!!
© CEG Archives