Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: longbeachjamie Possible ATX Problem? - 12/28/05 12:17 AM
Well, jumped on the freeway yesterday and didn't have any problems until the car was up around 75 mph. Stepped on the gas, and it acted as if I had dropped it in Neutral, revved really high, and then dropped.. continued a similar pattern, with intermittent drops, or almost a pulling sensation under the car (like someone was changing gears on me.) It also would do a simliar pattern when the car was cruising at 45-50 mph. I took it in to have it checked out by a general mechanic. They took it out for a few test runs and didn't have any problems, so I told them to take it out on the freeway, and sure enough they experienced the same problem and suggested it was something with the ATX and to have it checked out.

So, now the car is sitting at a Transmission place ready to be looked at. Before I jump in on spending too much money on the thing, does anyone have any suggestions/ideas to what it might be? The car's only modification is a custom air intake that has been running fine on it for the past several months.

Specs:

Tour 2000, SE Vtec, ATX, about 78,000 miles on it; it's had regular oil/service changes but was due for a ATF change/flush.

Thanks,
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/28/05 12:25 PM
From what I have read it sounds like the trans. Is your overdrive light flashing/lit up?
Posted By: longbeachjamie Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/28/05 04:08 PM
That would be a negative, no warning lights of any kind.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/29/05 04:09 AM
heads up, its not a Vtech engine in the tour... Thats a Honda thing... Its a ZEtech engine. Just to get it stright.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/29/05 06:13 AM
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
heads up, its not a Vtech engine in the tour... Thats a Honda thing... Its a ZEtech engine. Just to get it stright.

ZETEC
Posted By: blakjak Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/29/05 03:20 PM
how much gas do you have in the tour? cause that'll do it too.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/29/05 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

ZETEC

LOL! omg, I cant believe I did that, I must have been looking at the word "Vtech" as I was writing it. Im sorry, my bad, its a ZETEC engine.
Posted By: longbeachjamie Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/29/05 05:15 PM
Correct, ZETEC, I was typing fast, and in a bad mood.

Turns out it is something with the tranny, something slipping, not bad enough yet to trigger the check engine light, but it will get there. Repair ballpark was 2-3 grand.

Off to the car dealer to finda new a car.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/29/05 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

ZETEC

LOL! omg, I cant believe I did that, I must have been looking at the word "Vtech" as I was writing it. Im sorry, my bad, its a ZETEC engine.

It's not even a VTECH, it's a VTEC.
Posted By: blakjak Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/29/05 10:41 PM
dang for that money you could buy a nice semi-sports tranny.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/30/05 04:55 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

It's not even a VTECH, it's a VTEC.

Yes, but nobody cares.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/30/05 07:09 PM

easy now
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/31/05 02:45 AM
Might be the MLPS switch, TSS, scan for codes. Sometimes you don't need the whole trans. (Unless you have traded it in already.)
Posted By: SquareHead Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 12/31/05 09:03 PM
Sounds like the Trans is jumping out of overdrive. Try putting in 1/2 bottle of Lucas Trans Oil. It works great.
What does the fluid look like? Change it anyway and put the Lucas in. Many people here swear by it who belong to Contour.Org.
Posted By: jtour Re: Possible ATX Problem? - 01/03/06 01:50 PM
So did you trade in the Tour? If so what are you looking at?

Good luck on what ever you decide to do!

© CEG Archives