Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: contourfreak22 smell burnt oil - 11/09/05 05:31 AM
hi everytime i hit the passing gear i smell burnt oil. i have no oil leaks on the engine just wondering why im smelling burnt oil. well of course my oil is almost 7k over due could this be the problem?
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: smell burnt oil - 11/09/05 05:37 AM
Originally posted by contourfreak22:
hi everytime i hit the passing gear i smell burnt oil. i have no oil leaks on the engine just wondering why im smelling burnt oil. well of course my oil is almost 7k over due could this be the problem?

I'd say so!!!!

That oil needs changing!
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/09/05 05:46 AM
should i get gunk engine flush to flush it>?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/09/05 06:02 PM
should i get gunk engine flush to flush it>?

I think if you change the oil on a regular basis, you should be fine. That being said, you should just put some Berrymans in the crankcase and run it for 5 minutes or so and then change the oil and filter.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/09/05 07:38 PM
The passing gear? And do you really need to ask if you should change your oil when it is 7k overdue? Common...
Posted By: jtour Re: smell burnt oil - 11/09/05 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
The passing gear? And do you really need to ask if you should change your oil when it is 7k overdue? Common...

Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/09/05 09:05 PM

I know my oil need to be changed I'm asking the reason why my car smells like burnt oil is due to my oil not being changed yet? I aint asking if i needed an oil change I know it needs to be changed. Been busy with work.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/10/05 12:49 AM
ok today i bought some exxon superflo oil 10w 30 and STP oil filter. i got gunk 5 min flush too. I know i didnt get the best oil in the world but better than what i have in their.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/10/05 02:13 AM
ok today i bought some exxon superflo oil 10w 30 and STP oil filter...

I think specs are 5W 30.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/10/05 02:43 AM
here in california they recommend 10w 30 or 40 oil weight
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: smell burnt oil - 11/11/05 01:20 AM
Go with a true synthetic (mobil1) 5w-30, it'll protect in hotter temperatures. I got this sneakin suspicion that heavier weights can clog up that vct thang.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/11/05 01:50 AM
i been using 10w 40 and 30 since i had the car at 29k miles
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/11/05 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Go with a true synthetic (mobil1) 5w-30, it'll protect in hotter temperatures. I got this sneakin suspicion that heavier weights can clog up that vct thang.

Not true.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: smell burnt oil - 11/11/05 04:25 AM

a Full synthetic oil is completely useless if you make the change at higher miles. Better off with traditional oil or a synthetic blend (what I use).
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: smell burnt oil - 11/11/05 05:28 AM
Originally posted by LocoGSR:

Not true.

Which part isn't true. ... Anyways I said sneakin suspicion. I know people have had vct solenoid mess up. Are you 100% sure it is never because of the weight of oil used?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: smell burnt oil - 11/11/05 05:28 AM
Originally posted by AliasJerk:

a Full synthetic oil is completely useless if you make the change at higher miles. Better off with traditional oil or a synthetic blend (what I use).

WRONG
Posted By: Kyler Re: smell burnt oil - 11/14/05 07:21 PM
Synthetic motor oil is a good switch at any point in an engine's life.

In fact, the only time it is NOT good to use synthetic oil is in a brand new engine, because synthetic oil lubricates SO well that the rings will not "seat" because of the lubricity film that synthetic oils form, which will result in oil usage due to blow by.

Also, any rumors people try to tell you about synthetics causing oil leaks because of breakdown of old "false oil seals" is crap. Synthetics will not break down the old petrol sludge built up in an engine lubed with dino, which is why it is recommended that you have your engine flushed before switching, so that the synth can do its job better.
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: smell burnt oil - 11/20/05 02:55 AM

I know my oil need to be changed I'm asking the reason why my car smells like burnt oil is due to my oil not being changed yet? I aint asking if i needed an oil change I know it needs to be changed. Been busy with work.

I had your problem, punch it.. smell burning oil a few mins later at stop, would come right in passenger compartment with blower on.

Cause: oil filter leaking onto exhaust pipe only under hard driving,(cat flex section right under filter) gave the filter a little turn. That fixed it. Seems to happen from time to time after changing filter, I try not to tighten it up too much. About 1/2 turn after snug, but then have to give it alittle bit more.

Not changing oil shouldn't cause burning smell.

Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: smell burnt oil - 11/20/05 08:25 PM
my filter wasnt leaking when i took the oil filter out the out side was dusty.
© CEG Archives