Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 06/25/05 05:44 PM
Hopefully what I did can help some others out.

Looking at the hose from the top, there is a small black shield on the manifold side right beside the PCV valve. We used a large pry bar (long enough to reach down there) and bent it just a little towards the front of the car. Then I could get my hand through to grab the PCV valve and pull. All it took was a wiggle or 2, and the whole thing popped itself out.

I then put the new valve on the hose, set it into the hole in the block, and used a long screwdriver against it to push it in. Not nearly the huge PITA I have read about when it comes to changing it. I have been dreading doing it myself, but it wasnt nearly as hard as I thought it would be
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 06/25/05 10:15 PM
Or get a race header....I am in clear view of the PCV valve.....still haven't changed it after 136K.
Originally posted by LocoSCZ:
.....still haven't changed it after 136K.

This was my second one in 80K. It was stuck shut
Posted By: 96mercury Re: PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 06/27/05 01:56 AM
Or swap in a focus motor and have it is a place and obvious spot right next to the water neck
thanks it works just like you said it would. i bought mine a while back and could not change it . so i just tossed it aside untill i seen your post. i had a rough idel but after i changed it it smothed out. tha nks again.
Originally posted by 98-contour-zetec:
thanks it works just like you said it would. i bought mine a while back and could not change it . so i just tossed it aside untill i seen your post. i had a rough idel but after i changed it it smothed out. tha nks again.

My idle is still rough, I was hoping it would fix it

Glad I could help though
Posted By: bigworm Re: PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 11/25/05 06:17 AM
i have a 96 tour does the procedure still stand or does it change per year?
Posted By: GS474 Re: PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 11/25/05 04:36 PM
any
pictures

im gonna need some pictures

I cant remember how much the black piece hid the PCV, it may not be as easy to see on your car. I reached through at the same angle as I took the pic.
pre 98 is ALOT more cramped than the picture you've taken.
Originally posted by ZetecGL:
pre 98 is ALOT more cramped than the picture you've taken.

No kidding. The picture helps tho.
Posted By: GS474 Re: PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 11/26/05 04:00 AM
ok thanks il take the laptop outside tomarrow and see if i can see it
Posted By: pbullis Re: PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 11/27/05 11:38 PM
Thanks alot for the pic! I had been trying to get this out for a week. Bending the metal cover forward with a pry bar was all I needed to get my hand in and pull it out. It did take some coaxing, so don't give up if you have one stuck.

-Paul
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 11/27/05 11:40 PM
Welcome Paul.
Posted By: Lang Re: PCV valve change in under 5 minutes... - 01/23/06 03:19 PM
Guys, I used this procedure:

Here

I hope these pictures save some time...I did this on my '97 2.0L Contour. -Lang

Wow. All that for a PCV! No wonder my version of the same procedure was somewhat painful and substantially more difficult.
kinda overboard if you ask me, but two each his own..
I took it to the dealer at 60,000 miles and let them do it for free while I sat and drank coffee.
© CEG Archives