Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TronX Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/06/04 08:00 PM
98 Zetec 2.0 with VCT

Does anyone have a picture of where the temp sender is because I'm trying to see if my temp guage is working.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/07/04 01:50 AM
Anyone have the 98 Ford CD from E-bay? Care to post a few wire charts so I can track the wires down? Please...
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/07/04 09:10 AM
The one you need is under the thermostat housing, behind the radiator hose facing down.

Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/07/04 02:55 PM
Does that arrow point to the housing?
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/07/04 08:04 PM
Grr.. I need a chart or something. I swear I'm just over looking this thing.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/08/04 08:06 AM
Its pointing at the top sender. Look under the housing that that sendor is on for the one you need.

You can see it between the exhaust heatshield and the radiator hose. and a little further back.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/08/04 06:55 PM
Okay.. duh.. I think I've got it now. There is a plug near the heatshield and radiator hose. It's kind of hard to reach it, but I can touch and wiggle it around with my fingers.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/08/04 09:07 PM
Thats the one. I pulled the hose and spilled a little coolant, but it made things a lot easier.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 10/08/04 09:45 PM
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
Thats the one. I pulled the hose and spilled a little coolant, but it made things a lot easier.

Thanks man.. I'll try to clean this sucker up later. I can hear the crunch noises when pressing on it. Good sign that the wires are weak and this is a normal thing in my car with dryrot.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/09/05 07:19 PM
Is this the part I need?

F7CZ10884BA

Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/09/05 10:53 PM
Dunno. There were 3 different ones that were listed for my 98.5 when I got mine. They all looked different. Just make sure the connector and the sender part that reads the coolant looks the same.

Its best to take the old one to the parts store, and compare.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/10/05 02:05 AM
That picture was from Rockauto.com

I was just at signaturelm.com and they listed this.
http://signaturelm.com/Parts-CounterExpress.aspx

Description: WATER TEMP SENDER OR SWITCH
Part #: F7CZ10884BA
Our Price: $17.83
Retail Price: $22.29
Categories:
Mechanical > GROUP 17 - BODY ELECTRICAL > GAUGES

Mercury Mystique
1998-2000
In-Line4, Temperature Sender

However, I'm sure there was another picture that didn't look like this part at all?

----------

My problem is that the guage inside the car never leaves the white box. When it was working it would move to about the center of the guage. When the car is off the guage moves all the way off and when I turn on the car is moves only a tiny tiny bit. Every now and then out of random it will start working for a minute then it goes back down.

The Haynes book said something about testing the part by attaching a wire to a white/red and that to ground. This should make the guage go to hot.

I think I've got the right part here, but not 100% sure.

Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/10/05 03:07 AM
I unplugged the wires to the sender and shorted the white/red to ground amd turned the key over, but not engine on and nothing happened. Hmmmmm......

Posted By: catabong Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/11/05 03:30 AM
I'm having the same problem now. My temp guage hasn't worked in years and i finally decided to fix it. I went and bought the sender at advance auto for 12$ and am going to put it in tomorrow. It is so damn hard to get to though so i'm going to have to take off the radiator hose. THe question I had was that the harness for mine is broken. Does anyone know where to buy a new harness to hook into the sender online or do i have to go to a dealership?
Posted By: lekmedm_dup1 Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/11/05 01:54 PM
Originally posted by TronX:
That picture was from Rockauto.com

I was just at signaturelm.com and they listed this.
http://signaturelm.com/Parts-CounterExpress.aspx

Description: WATER TEMP SENDER OR SWITCH
Part #: F7CZ10884BA
Our Price: $17.83
Retail Price: $22.29
Categories:
Mechanical > GROUP 17 - BODY ELECTRICAL > GAUGES

Mercury Mystique
1998-2000
In-Line4, Temperature Sender

That's exactly the part number that I bought. I haven't had a chance to put it in yet beacuse of it's location. Good luck to all of us!
Posted By: catabong Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/11/05 09:19 PM
That harness is definately broken beyond use and the wires are cracked so now i have to find one. Anyone have any suggestions?
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/13/05 05:39 PM
You would need to buy a whole new wire harness from ford and that is not cheap. Or you can goto a junk yard and cut one off, but those will only crack in time. What I would do is splice the wires and use 2 small wirecaps. Then wrap the wires in some duct tape.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/13/05 06:09 PM
Advance auto parts had something, just not sure if this is the right one?

GP Sorensen TSU227
OE #F7CZ-BA; DOHC
$9.88

Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/13/05 06:20 PM
And I've ran into this part and the same place.

GP Sorensen 385115
Temperature Sender/Switch

And this part...

Niehoff Ignition TS82321
Coolant Temperature Sensor:

That makes 3 types that I've seen and they have all been listed as a sender, sensor, guage and cooling.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/13/05 11:12 PM
Like I said, take yours out of the car, and take it to the parts store to compare the different senders. Only way to know for sure.

Mine has the 2nd one pictured, but I cant say for sure if yours is the same.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/14/05 02:09 AM
You have a 98? You said it was the second one? I only have one car so it limits me on what I can take off.

Do you have the same problem as me? Does it the guage move very little and never moves past the white box?

Did the part fix the problem?
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/14/05 02:20 AM
MOTORCRAFT Part # SW5030
TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT; 2 Pin Terminal {#F5RZ10884A}

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW5157
TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT; DOHC Before 3/99 {#F7CZ10884BA}

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW5046
TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT {#F5RZ10884B}

Blah...
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/14/05 02:24 AM
I know this much... I had to pull a stiff metal wire out for the end to pop off the sendor. It's just hard to see.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/14/05 03:15 AM
I'm 70% sure it's the SW5157 F7CZ10884BA.
Signaturelm.com under the mech/guages/ has this part.
And if memroy serves me right the part did have that
long look to it unlike the other ones.

F7CZ10884BA: MotorCraft
Signaturelm.com = $17.83 Sh: $7.00 = $24.83
RockAuto.com = $12.42 SH: $6.13 = $18.55

GP Sorensen TSU227
OE #F7CZ-BA; DOHC
Advanceautoparts.com = $9.88 = SH?

AutoZone.com. ???

Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/14/05 10:55 PM
Originally posted by TronX:
You have a 98? You said it was the second one? I only have one car so it limits me on what I can take off.

Do you have the same problem as me? Does it the guage move very little and never moves past the white box?

Yeah I have a 98. My problem was the gauge suddenly started reading full hot when the car warmed up. Scared the sh!t out of me the first time it happened.

I never got around to putting mine in because the old one somehow "fixed" itself. I took mine out to compare the part, but the parts house had to order it. So I put the old one back in to get to work the next day and no problems since
Posted By: catabong Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 12:31 AM
I'm about 90% sure that it is the first one you have listed there.

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW5030
TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT; 2 Pin Terminal {#F5RZ10884A}

I bought it at advance auto and it was $12 something with tax for the sorenson one. I'm going to put it in this weekend probably. For people who have done this before, did you end up taking off the radiator hose that goes into the thermometer? I can't see a way to get a wrench down into there without taking that hose off. If you did take it off how much antifreeze did you lose?

Thanks.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 02:33 AM
Hmmm.. you know it does look like that one.
In fact... BRB!

Okay, from what I can see the part is not long like I said before. It is more flat and there might be a tab on each side and that fits the idea of the metal locking wire that I had to pull to remove the wire holder.

Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 02:38 AM
Hmmm.. I did a search on F5RZ10884A at Signaturelm.com and it's listed as a 1995-1997 part? I have a 1998 car and they list some other part?

Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 02:51 AM
Originally posted by catabong:

I bought it at advance auto and it was $12 something with tax for the sorenson one. I'm going to put it in this weekend probably. For people who have done this before, did you end up taking off the radiator hose that goes into the thermometer? I can't see a way to get a wrench down into there without taking that hose off. If you did take it off how much antifreeze did you lose?

Thanks.

Its pretty much mandatory to remove the hose. IMO, it was still kind of a PITA. You will lose a few cups of coolant, not too much. Just make sure you prop the hose facing up to keep too much from leaking out. $12 sounds about right.

TronX- Mine didnt have the locking wire, cant help you there.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 02:58 AM
I can't find that part at Advance Auto Parts?
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 03:00 AM
I think I have an older 98?
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 03:37 AM
At AutoZone when I type in "F5RZ10884A" all I get is this page.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performOemResultSet&Parameters=TEMPERATURE+SWITCH|~F5RZ10884A|~1

WELLS TU206 $10.99

I can't find any pictures on this part, but it said it's in the store. Hmmmm... Guess I better call them?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 03:39 AM
I got a wells turn signal switch and it was exact Ford OE (stamped with ford emblem), too bad though because the stock piece is a POS, I wanted something better.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I got a wells turn signal switch and it was exact Ford OE (stamped with ford emblem), too bad though because the stock piece is a POS, I wanted something better.

What do you expect, you bought a FORD. POS would be a step up.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 03:52 AM
Can't really speak for others, but a friend of mine with his Accord 96 has had bigger repair bills then I've ever seen on any of my Ford built cars. As a matter of fact just to add insult to injury his engine light came on today, I used my scanner after searching for 30min. Why would they hide the OBD-II behind the ashtray? sigh... Anyway he got a P1706 and that a switch problem in the transmission... duh! And here I am looking for a guage temp sender for around 20$.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 03:20 PM
I actually have spent less than $200 on repairs for my car, so I must say I am very happy with my car.

I was just being funny,
playing on the Fix Or Repair Daily stigma.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/15/05 06:45 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
I actually have spent less than $200 on repairs for my car, so I must say I am very happy with my car.

I was just being funny,
playing on the Fix Or Repair Daily stigma.

Aye, it's all random. Some people just end up with those monday built cars..lol. Sooner or later every part goes out, but it sure helps if they last longer on the old phat wallet.;)

I picked up the part after searching at Advance Auto for a while. Now if only I could get some time to put this in and see if it works without the wife driving off. I'm starting to hate having only one car.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/16/05 02:15 AM
I should have taken pictures because there are other people that will one day have the same problems as me..sorry guys.

1. You must move that big hose out of the way! This was by far the most hard part for me to get that hose off the water housing.. what a pain! Vise Grips might help, I used plyers.

2. You will only lose 1 cup of water removing the main hose. However, have the new part ready once you remove the old sensor because once this is taken out LOTS and LOTS of cooling fluid is going to poor all over the place! I was quick enough to plug the hole and put the new part in without loseing too much fluid. I added water just to be safe and will pickup some more Anti-freeze later.

3. Because of the downward angle it's a pain in the $%#$! %!! I thought it would be easy, but I had a hard time getting down in there with all my tools. Using my O2 socket I was able to wrench it off and back on. The red marks on my hands and arms are starting to fade away..lol

4. This was a 1 1/2 hour job for me and that is counting the time to check, check and recheck and drive around and check again for leaks.

5. The end result is that the guage now moves to the (M) like it did years ago.

GP Sorensen TSU227
OE #F7CZ-BA; DOHC
Advance auto parts
10.88 + .82Tax = 11.70$

6. Make sure you have the right part. As you can see in this thread there are many types based on the year and the month. My car was made before 3/98 and the part was listed in the 97's and not the 98's. If you reach your hand down in there and feel a metal wire lock that you push in and the end pops off the sender then you have the part I was playing with that is flat and has tabs on the smaller sides. Other cars may find a whole other part that is much longer with another end that has one tab. So again, get the one that looks like it matches up in those pictures.

7. Having fixed this for such a little cost and with good results I can now move on to fixing other issues. For anyone that needs to have this fixed, good luck.

8. P.S. don't over tighten the sendor back on. I did find that because this is plastic housing you might strip. I had the feeling like it wanted to do this on me and stopped.
Posted By: catabong Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/16/05 05:58 AM
I tried to replace mine today and couldn't get a wrench down there. Is there some special tool to use or just a deep socket? I even had the hose off going into the thermometer housing.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/16/05 07:35 PM
I tried to replace mine today and couldn't get a wrench down there. Is there some special tool to use or just a deep socket? I even had the hose off going into the thermometer housing.

Ahh.. Yeah, it's hard to find the right tool to get that dang thing off of there! I used my O2 sensor socket with a ratchet box wrench. But an ultra deep socket should reach. The Ratchet wrench I used was small, about 8" Inches. The 02 Socket is about 7/8" Inches and around 3 inches deep. I hope this information helps, but I'm not sure what part is on your car and it might not be the same socket size.

I could not reach any pliers, but maybe a set of open-end and boxed wrenches might fit? The ones I had are too long and gave me no room to move about even with the hose off.

Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/16/05 09:26 PM
Any luck with that socket problem?
Posted By: catabong Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/16/05 10:49 PM
I haven't tried again yet. I can't get a open ended wrench in there. The lobe of the wrench hits on some tubing right by the sensor and i have no room to turn it either. I'm just going to take a break on it for now. My guage hasn't worked for 2 years so I can wait a while longer.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/16/05 11:58 PM
I haven't tried again yet. I can't get a open ended wrench in there. The lobe of the wrench hits on some tubing right by the sensor and i have no room to turn it either. I'm just going to take a break on it for now. My guage hasn't worked for 2 years so I can wait a while longer.

Wrench won't work.. I ran into the same tube. It's hard and does not feel like that part comes off very well. You need a small ratchet and deep long sockets to get around that part. Even still, I had to fiddle around until I could find enough room to move using 2 hands. Cut me up good.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/17/05 12:00 AM
Hmmm.. does that metal heat shield above the manifold come off easy? That part was also in the way and might help give you a little more room.
Posted By: The Davis Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/17/05 12:18 AM
why don't you guys just take the whole thermostat housing off?
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/17/05 03:58 AM
Sounds like a lot of work for such a simple part Davis.
C'mon, if I can do it then I'm sure others can as well.
Posted By: The Davis Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/17/05 05:12 AM
I mean since it's difficult to reach. The housing is only held on by three bolts. Just a suggestion really for anyone that searches in the future and finds this thread
Posted By: catabong Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/17/05 07:53 AM
i would take the whole housing off but wouldn't i most likely need a new gasket then? I would rather not have a working temp gauge then to have to do that sincei havn'et had one for 2 years.
Posted By: TronX Re: Where is the Temp Sender? - 04/17/05 07:54 PM
i would take the whole housing off but wouldn't i most likely need a new gasket then? I would rather not have a working temp gauge then to have to do that sincei havn'et had one for 2 years.

Yeah, your car is like mine in that it's old enough to come apart the more we mess around with it. I think you should try it again with a smaller ratchet and deep socket. Or you could just take the car someplace and have them put in the part for a small fee. My car didn't have one working for at least a year, but it sure is nice to know if my car is overheating with the hot summer coming up.
© CEG Archives