Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I just wanted to post a thread that describes the installation of the SVT Focus Smart Fuel Pump in my '00 SVT. Hopefully this will help others who are seeking info on this topic, but not getting much help.

The installation was done by myself, SVTSeth, and another good friend of mine. Unfortunately we did it at night, so there weren't any good pictures WEAR GLOVES.

I purchasd the FSVT pump & sending unit for $110.00 at a dealer. It came with the FSVT plastic basket.

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=39

Follow the instructions on removing the original fuel pump to the letter up until you remove the actual pump basket from inside the tank. Disconnect the small red & black wire electrical plug from the top of the basket.

Unscrew the small screws from the top cover and pop off the piece where the fuel tube attaches to the actual pump. Then, with a flathead screwdriver, push the retainers on the sides of the basket in to pop the plastic cover off. The old pump will be exposed to you now. Remove it from the basket.

The old CSVT pump has a top & bottom black rubber molding. We found that the FSVT pump's moldings did not allow for perfect clearance when the basket was resealed, so remove the Focus' moldings and replace them with the ones from the Contour. Also, the FSVT pump has a small internal filter that is pretty square in comparison with the V-shaped filter on the Contour pump and extends horizontally away from the pump rather than upwards like the Contour. Seth & my friend agreed that we probably shouldn't risk installing the FSVT pump with its square filter bent upwards not knowing what might happen later. So we thoroughly cleaned and then swapped the Contour's V filter onto the FSVT pump. It fits like a glove.

Put the pump into place inside the basket and close the basket, snapping the retainer into place. Now comes the fun part.

Take a look at the electrical cable with the red & black wire and the socket it's supposed to go into on the FSVT pump. You'll notice that they don't match up perfectly. What we did was shave off some plastic from the connector in certain thick areas to make it fit. After slicing, it fit firmly.

We tried to use the new FSVT green ring seal as a replacement for the old, dirty CSVT one, but unfortunately they are not the same size and it doesn't fit right. You will have to clean out the old green ring seal and use it again. Follow the HOWTO instructions to finish the installation.

maybe the mods want to pin this or add it to a FAQ at the top of this forum
Thanks for the info. I plan to do this soon as well, and I'm sure this will be helpful.
Glad I could help.
I just recently felt a high-rpm hiccup... 1/4 Tank of gas, 6,000 RPM...power flopped a little. I'm thinking fuel pump, but I'm going to check plugs and wires first (they're about due for a checkup anyhow).

So, what's the purpose of going to the Focus' "Smart Pump." We don't know their life expectancy, do we?
I do! Why dont you ask the guys at focaljet.com about it? I had a focus for a while and I work at a Ford shop and have seen soooo many foci have fuel pumps go out. It's more rare to see one that did not need replaced before 36K than it is to see one last.

I am not trying to be an ass or anything. I just want to warn you...

BTW: Is there any power, milage, or anything else you're expecting from this?
The FSVT pump is a completely different pump than the standard Focus. They also fixed the pump problem on the Focus(I believe on 02+ models).
Originally posted by Focer:

BTW: Is there any power, milage, or anything else you're expecting from this?

Nope. I'm not pushing any sort of fuel pump limits, so I'd just ask for one that works.
First thing I looked at was the price. Ordering from Ford or A/C Delco, you'll see that they don't sell the CSVT pump by itself. Rather, you have to buy a bunch of additional parts that are not broken and pay nearly $300 for the set.

Unfortunatly, after a call to BAT, it seems that they are doing the same thing, even though their catalog says they have pumps for $80.

I bought the Focus SVT pump from a local dealer b/c I was in a rush. The pump with the basket & sender was around $100. I know others have gotten it for $80. (search)

Then, as per the info posted here & other forums, it's a higher performing pump rated somewhere over 200 lph. That's more than enough for what I'll be doing. So I ended up with a better running pump that cost less and (almost) fits perfectly.

BTW - drove it quick today. It was great.
Stock pump is 155lph? What about a Walbro pump? They make 155lph pumps that'll fit our cars, right?

So it was a convenience and cost thing for you...as long as there are no ill side effects to running a higher rated pump, sounds like a pretty good swap!
Some more notes on this after doing one last night. You'll need a fuel line disconnect tool to get the main fuel connection apart. Something similar to this...

I have the scissor type as well. Can be adjusted to be used on 4 different sizes. The one pictured only shows 2 sizes. It can be found at almost any parts store. I think mine was like $10. Glad I had one or we'd have to run to the store. You'll also need a T-10 torx bit for the top 3 screws on the oringinal pump. I'm glad this post was made. Saved a lot of time figuring as Trapps post only tells half the story.
Yeah, that tool would have helped. I called Keyser when Horse and I got stuck on the fuel line... But, after figuring out that the grey-ish tabs pop "out" to release the fuel line, it was an easy job.
My car comes with one of them pumps! Suckers...
Too bad it's still slow.
And sounds like a lawnmower. Oh well, at least THIS car works!! Hahahaha..
I called my local dealer today and he said he had a focus pump, but he said that there was nothing different about the SVT pump. I told him 2000 model year since that is my contour year. Is there a specific year to ask for in the FSVT?
Yes. Use the PART NUMBER.

3S4Z-9H307-BC (I'll even be nice a do the leg work for you!)

NEVER ask them to find a part...

thanks again demon for the part # of the fsvt smart pump.
this saved me a lot of time finding the part from the dealer.from my experience the fuel cut out problem has to do with the sock filter attaced to the bottom of the fuel pump itself.

with 65K miles on the clock of my 00' csvt my sock filter was very nasty. It doesn't allow for propper flow once the fuel gauge drop around 1/4 - 1/2 of a tank of fuel.

i cut out a small 1/2 inch square in the rear of my dirty sock filter closest to the pump that seemed to fix the fuel cut problem.

i went out and bought the fsvt smart pump from the dealer. you'll need the green gasket part # XS2Z-9276-AA , the green fuel pump gasket that comes with the fsvt unit is to small to use in the contour and the old stock contour green gasket will be to large to propperly reseal the unit.

i used the new fsvt sock filter square unit when i did my install. everthing works great untill you get to about 1/2 tank of fuel. then i have fuel cut problems. so i have to keep the tank full. WHERE CAN I GET JUST THE STOCK FILTER FOR THE CONTOUR FUEL PUMP ??? the dealer doen't seem to carry them unless you buy the complete $300 csvt unit. trying to find a new contour sock filter is a pain. i've had no luck finding one off a recalled focus pumps.

if anyone has a new L shaped contour sock filter or knows how to get one please let me know. replacing the old 65K miles stock dirty nasty sock filter i have with the cut out will fix my problem but i'm in need of a new on real bad.
Did you leave the filter disc on the bottom of the sending unit/basket on?

If so then that's your starvation problem. Still...
Thanks Demon I'll holla those #'s by them(Jones Ford) tomorrow. I knew I came across a post that had the number and couldn't find it today.
Alrightay, I'm gettin my FSVT F/P and gasket Monday!

of course i removed the filter disk at the bottom of the fuel pump basket, like it said in the info how-to section.

My problem is the sock filter that attaches to the pump itself, i'm currently using the fsvt square shaped filter but it cuts out under full throttle once the tank drops below 1/2 tank of fuel . i had to bend it to fit the contour basket and it doesn't fit propperly.

I need a new contour L shaped sock filter in a bad way. but paying for a $300 complete unit from the dealer seems ludacris.

what about running with no filter attached to the bottom of the fsvt f/p itself >? what are your thoughts on that idea ? although i would like to have some sort of filter attached to the bottom of the pump.

seems my only other option is to used my filthy ,nasty grimy, [ this is its condition after i sprayed it with t/b cleaner and brake cleanerand then an air hose] there is no cleaning my stock L shaped sock filter .

if i go back into my tank again this will be about the eight time. i'm not going to be using a filter at all. i will not be using a single filter in the whole tank. let me know if that sounds like a bad idea to you.
Originally posted by 00SVTGA:
let me know if that sounds like a bad idea to you.

I'm no pro, but it sounds like a bad idea to me. If Ford put two filters in there, they obviously didn't want gunk glogging up the pump. I cleaned my L-shaped sock filter and reused it, as the FSVT square filter didn't allow the pump to sit correctly in its housing.
You could always cut a slot through the basket and let the seal poke out....

I'm going to swap my Focus pump in this week, so I'll see if I can come up with any ideas.
Looks like im gonna hafta get a new fuel pump too. I cleaned out the V sock and removed the filter in the bottom of the assembly. It ran absolutely awesome after I did this, and of course, im out with some friends going to a car show yesterday night and the motor starts stuttering like crazy. I look at my fuel guage, and it reads 1/4. D'oh! Course, these friends are always messing around with me, saying my car sucks and such (course, I do the same to them, never serious, they've all said they like my car). Needless to say, I heard about it in school today. I filled up the tank and it ran much better, though still not perfect.

Anyways, Im gonna send Bill J. an email later tonight and find out about the FSVT Fuel pump/sender.

its the filter not the pump! i need a new L shaped filter for my contour svt. yea i cleaned my sock filter out as well and the car ran great for all of 5 hour and started cutting out once again .let me know how it goes stazi

looks like my only option is to buy a $300 csvt fuel pump unit from the dealer. remove the sock filter and then return it to the dealer. i know it sounds shady but i'm running out of ideas.

cutting a small hole in the L -shaped sock filter does fix but i don't want to contaminate my new fsvt pump.

WHERE CAN I GET A NEW L -SHAPED SOCK FILTER FOR A 2000 CSVT?

TURNS OUT THATS ALL I NEEDED IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!
From the thread discussion it appears a dirty sock is a frequent problem, not a bad fuel pump. Just an idea, you may be able to find a low mileage Contour at a junk yard and salvage the sock from the car and clean it up. It will take some extra effort (you will probably have to remove it from the car yourself) but a lot cheaper than a $300 new pump.

erb13
That's a good idea. But I'm thinkin' that the filter gets so gunked up that the pump itself does indeed get damaged. Can't say for sure, though.
Check O'reilly auto parts for pump,sending unit, etc. I paid 130 for complete unit from O'reilly and it even had a ford label on it!

Bob
Originally posted by Derk2000:
That's a good idea. But I'm thinkin' that the filter gets so gunked up that the pump itself does indeed get damaged. Can't say for sure, though.

I cleaned out mine with gas and compressed air... It worked fine for about 3 months and now the problem is back.

I plan on taking my current fuel pump apart when the new one comes to see what the deal was.

When I changed my out of tank fuel filter the gas in there was clean for a little while and then the crud started pouring out of it.
Forgot to add, It looks like JC Whitney migh have the V shaped fuel filter.

If you put in your car info, go to fuel system and then fuel pump filter/strainer, they have a couple filters in there. I may order one to see if it is the correct one.

I need to make a call to Bill J. to get my FSVT pump ordered.

Does anyone have a pic of the FSVT's fuel pump filter??
I got my pump the other day. I'll take it apart and try and get some pics.
If you need the pics hosted or anything, let me know...

I'm planning on doing a detailed how-to for swapping in the FSVT fuel pump.
Got mine swapped out this evening. Runs like a charm. Just hope it stays that way!

P.S. Andy you have a PM.
Originally posted by 99MystiqueATX:

Like this one?
Originally posted by kontour_sev6:
Runs like a charm.

Hmmm...I've got a little hiccup at part throttle now. It comes around 3.5K (+/-). It doesn't seem to be there at WOT.
Any ideas?
IMRC fluttering.

That is "roughly" the range it opens based on TP. (3400-4100rpm)
Originally posted by todras:

Like this one?

Yes, but with the addition of adding some parts to swap the FSVT pump in. Maybe i've understood this incorrectly, but it sounds like it is a little more difficult. Maybe its not, I guess i'll know more when I get my FSVT pump.
Yes, but with the addition of adding some parts to swap the FSVT pump in. Maybe i've understood this incorrectly, but it sounds like it is a little more difficult. Maybe its not, I guess i'll know more when I get my FSVT pump.

It's minimally harder. You should snap a few pics of the connector that you have to shave down. Otherwise, it's pretty darn straight forward. I thought I would have some issues, but once you see the parts, it's clear as day as to what needs to be done.

Originally posted by DemonSVT:
IMRC fluttering.

That is "roughly" the range it opens based on TP. (3400-4100rpm)

Hmm... think it's more likely physical fluttering or electrically caused?

Soap , water and elbow grease seem to get the dirty stock sock filter cleanest.
Now I had a thought about the FSVT pump. The stock one puts out like 155lph right?? The FSVT pump if im not mistaken puts out like 255lph. Does the computer know enough to compensate for this, or would having the FSVT pump run a higher pressure on the fuel lines??

Anyone follow me/have any thoughts??
The voltage to the pump will be varied based on demand I.E. CAT fuel remnants rich/lean calculations. Also the line pressure should be more constant with a higher rate pump and a more consistent jet from the injectors. That is MY understanding of high rate fuel pumps.
Alright, today after school, I pulled the fuel pump out of the car. Got it out and my dad says "You sure its the fuel pump?" Our plan was to pull the pump and take off the filters and run it like that to see if the in-basket filter was clogged up. We got it out and there was a goey chunk in the bottom of the tank right under where it draws fuel from. I've got a bunch of pics of this and the gooey stuff. I'll make another post later with some pics.
Andy,
I saw your other thread with the goo! Sorry to hear about all that. Good to hear that the car is running better. I want to ask you guys of all that have done this mod who has had a stuck fuel gauge? After doing all this work last week took the car to gas up and needle went up(Just like its supposed to). I have now gone about 250 miles and its still on "F". Took all this crap apart to find the "bobber" sitting on the the top of the fuel level in the tank, pushed the "bobber" down with a flathead screwdriver and it came back up. Did this a few times and it seems like it isn't snaged on anything. The tank appears to have 1/2-3/4 of fuel. At least the pump while sitting in the basket has about half the fuel along the side of it. Anybody got any suggestions on what the deal is? Thanks for any help. This was agreat mod, hate too see it go to waste on this stupid fuel leveler.
Did you use the float from the contour pump?
Did you reinstall it backwards or something?
Well after posting the last thread I went out to the car just to see what it was doing and low and behold the gauge read 1/4 tank. Funny after messing with it it stayed on full then drove 25 miles out here to mom's and now it's working. Guess when I leave to go home I'll fill up and see what it does this week?

Derk, on your two questions (1) yes and (2)no. However the backward one could have been possible since there was 3 of us working on it. Got a little confusing in that little carport trying to stay out of the rain!
Sounds like the float was just stuck and you jiggled it loose... er something.
Well I filled up the other night, now I've gone @ 60-65 miles now and still pegged above "F". Don't know about these "tempermental" machines.
Quote:

Well I filled up the other night, now I've gone @ 60-65 miles now and still pegged above "F". Don't know about these "tempermental" machines.

That sounds normal to me...
Originally posted by JonnySVT:
Quote:

That sounds normal to me...

me too
I can't figure out what's doing this, it worked fine before. Now have about 100 miles on this tank full and still on full.
The float is stuck against the side of the tank. You don't have the basket in correctly.
Which way should the float face while in the tank? When I pulled everything apart last week the float wasn't stuck against anything. Pushed it with a flathead screwdriver and it went up and down. Put everything back together and cranked it up and still on full. Hours later went to my Mom's and it cleared up. Now back on full again.
Will the SVT Focus Smart Pump fit my '98 CSVT?
Originally posted by gliderjoe:
Will the SVT Focus Smart Pump fit my '98 CSVT?

Dont think so. The Smart Pump is only for returnless.
-tropictour
possibly. seems not all 98s, are return style. My supercharger came off a 98 contour svt with returnless.
Originally posted by auiotour:
possibly. seems not all 98s, are return style. My supercharger came off a 98 contour svt with returnless.

Not possible. Returnless cars were manf. about 99.5 on up.
All you need on a pre-"returnless" car is a high flow pump made for a Mustang. The smart pump is not the right one for cars with return fuel systems.

PM me if you're looking for said pump, I have one left. A brand new 255lph "regular" pump
Did some searching and found this How-to. Made it really easy to do the switch for me. Thanks for the time invested in doing this for us.

On another note as soon as I drove off with the new pump in my CEL came on. Go Figure.

Troy
FWIW: I've linked this in the duratec maintenance faq. thanks, and great write up.

Ray
Oreily $130? Wow, who did you speak to?
You can get it for $100 from Parts Plus . It's even under $130 from a Ford Dealer.
Guys, the post you're responding to is 1-1/2 years old...

HAHAHAHAHA
© CEG Archives