Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Damn, who knew it could get this bad? If you havent done it already, I guess you should?

In a tutorial I saw pictures of a 1998 mystique with clogged up passages, it was pretty nasty. I figured mine would be even worse... and it was, being a '96 and all. Talk about a Ford design flaw. Here are some pictures I took.

In this picture, you can see the carbon build-up along the passages just under the entrance to the UIM.

Here it shows how I did it. I stuck an old sock in the manifold opening, so that I dont spray too much Throttle Body cleaner inside, and to catch anything from falling in there. The tin foil did a pretty good job at catching the stuff as I cleaned it out.

An overview look of what I had to do. Just detatch the accordion tube and MAF. Then take the throttle body off. Simple enough.

Sorry about the blurry pic, but heres a shot of how it looks after the cleaning. Big difference, mmkay?

Before/After Shot

Oh yeah, while I was in there I cleaned out my TB. Here's a before shot. I forgot to take an after shot though, but I got it to shine!

The carbon in the passages was so thick, that I had to use a screw driver to scrape it out. The wire brush did nothing for me. Supposedly all our duratecs get this.
Dang!!! I've been having some EGR CEL issues lately myself. Local shop said it would be 2 -3 hrs labor just to get to the EGR valve to see if it could be cleaned, from your post it doesn't look like it should take that long. How long did it take you to clean it? Did everything come apart relatively easily? Thanks.
Funny thing is, I took mine off at about 75K to clean the passages and they were nearly spotless. Go figure.
Originally posted by phd2be:
Dang!!! I've been having some EGR CEL issues lately myself. Local shop said it would be 2 -3 hrs labor just to get to the EGR valve to see if it could be cleaned, from your post it doesn't look like it should take that long. How long did it take you to clean it? Did everything come apart relatively easily? Thanks.

This is a relatively easy job. You just need to remove a few hoses and the throttle body. If I remember correctly, the hardest part about removing the throttle body were the two bolts underneath it. Just make sure that you don't drop the bolts into the engine bay.

Cleaning is also easy. You can check out the how-to that I made at:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=10673

http://community.webshots.com/album/48338095ulxYWh
I was wondering if I was missing something. I have a CEL saying that my EGR is flowing too much and then not flowing enough and I thought about cleaning it. I looked at this post thinking this was a life saver for me, telling me how to do the cleaning and I don't see the EGR getting cleaned, just the UIM and the throttle body. Once again am I missing some thing?

Thanks, because i really want that damn code gone.

Later,

Eric
Originally posted by myfastse:
I was wondering if I was missing something. I have a CEL saying that my EGR is flowing too much and then not flowing enough and I thought about cleaning it. I looked at this post thinking this was a life saver for me, telling me how to do the cleaning and I don't see the EGR getting cleaned, just the UIM and the throttle body. Once again am I missing some thing?

Thanks, because i really want that damn code gone.

Later,

Eric

Well when I started to write this post, it started out as a how-to. But then I figured that there is already a how-to on this website, so I just decided to show some before/after shots of mine to just let some people who dont know, how important this may be.

By the way, this was easy as hell. I havent done something like this before, and it took me under two hours. Most of the time was spent cleaning the damn thing. Just make sure you get some sort of wire to shove into the hole leading to the valve, so you can clean that area as much as you can. Just do a search, and the how-tos can be found. This site doesnt need another one. If you have any other questions, many of us know what to do and we can answer them.

By the way, my code still hasnt come back after resetting the computer. *knock on wood*

edit:

Originally posted by myfastse:
I was wondering if I was missing something. I have a CEL saying that my EGR is flowing too much and then not flowing enough and I thought about cleaning it.

That sounds like its maybe the valve itself giving you trouble. You can try and clean it to make sure, but if its clogged it wouldnt say theres too much flowing.
Your EGR problem as you describe it may be a DPFE sensor problem like mine was. Check your EGR valve before you replace it.

To test the EGR valve, get a length of hose from your local auto parts store that will fit over the EGR vac hose connection. Start the car, let it idle, unplug the vac hose from the top of the EGR valve, put your new length of hose on the nipple & pull a vacuum on the EGR valve (suck on the hose)

If the car continues to idle fine, you've got a bad valve. If it sputters (or even stalls) & you have to continue to apply more & more vacuum, you've got a bad valve.

If it sputters & you can keep it running rough by crimping the hose, then the valve is in good shape & your DPFE sensor may be ka-put - like mine was.
Thanks everyone for the complete and quick responces. I have seen before that the "big" nut one the EGR is 1 1/16 in diameter. Is this correct as I will go buy an open end wrench for it. Thanks again.

Eric
I wouldn't bother with the EGR valve itself unless you know for sure that its bad. Most of the failures are from clogged EGR passages within the UIM as shown above. There are other hoses and valves that could cause problems as also mentioned.
I am checking prices on the items as I am going to fix what ever it is this weekend.

Is this the DPFE Sensor that you talked about and where is it? LOL
Part
TourDeFrance You posted the same thing in the post I had posted earlier. I haven't gotten around to try your test but what is the DPFE sensor I am assuming it is the black thing bolted onto the intake manifold that all the hoses hook up too. With the code for excessive flow I wouldn't be surprised if it was the sensor and not the EGR valve.
The DPFE is below the EGR valve, bolted to the block. You can't see it very well as it is hidden by the EGR valve & other hoses. Best viewpoint is from the driver side of the car, put your hand on the EGR valve & look straight down from there. I'll e-mail a picture to you & MYFASTSE.

The originals were aluminum body. The new ones are black plastic. Try the test, you could save yourself a bunch of money & time. First thing to do (if you haven't yet) is to clean your Throttle Body (TB). Be sure to get the EGR passages behind the gasket cleaned up too. Huge difference, & lots of info on that in this site.

By the way, the name is Tour de Force (not france).
Looks like the same part but MAN that seems like WAY too much money for that. I think I got mine from the dealer for under $50.

The DPFE is below the EGR valve, bolted to the block with two bolts & has the connectors as shown in your post. The old ones are aluminum. The new ones are black plastic, try a dealer or two for a price on the new Differential Pressure Feedback Sensor.

You can get one for $61 here:

DPFE price

That's at Fordpartsonline.com if the link doesn't work properly.
Thanks for the info I should be able to find it now. Sorry about the miss name not sure what I was writing.
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

By the way, the name is Tour de Force (not france).

Watching too much cycling lately? LOL

Thanks for all your help. I am gonna clean mine on sat and see how that goes on trying to solve the problem. I know it needs it. I will call the local dealers and see what they charge.

Thanks again,

Eric
well, its been about a week since I did this and posted pictures. CEL still hasnt returned for my EGR, I had my codes checked today to make sure. That cured it! All i had to do is unbolt a couple things and clean a little. DIY is the way to go.
Other than a brush what are some of the tools needed ( Got all the wrenches just the cleaning tools). Did you just scrub it or did you use some b-12 cleaner ( I think that is what it is called) Also to help eliminate the build up couls you spray some teflon in that area to help eliminate the build up from sticking again? Just wondering, i am not sure how it would affect the engine if any got in to the cylinders.
All you need is throttle body cleaner, a wire brush, and something to pick at the carbon with (i used a screw driver). Dont spray anything other than throttle body cleaner. There is some sort of coating in the throttle body itself, i really dont know whats up with that, but all i know is that you dont use a different type of cleaner. The wire brush wont do all the work for you, it will help for when you finish up. If you want clean the passage leading to the valve (may be clogged as well), get some sort of thick wire to shove in there to unclog. The how-to on this site states you need a mechanic's wire. Since I didnt know where to find one, I used regular thick electrical wiring. Its sooo easy to do, just use common sense and stay away from other cleaners.
© CEG Archives