Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: m4gician How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/28/06 09:40 PM
I know an OIL LUBE AND FILTER basically changes oil, filter and lubricates the chasis, but this weekend will be the first time I change my own oil and I was wondering how would I do the lubricate the chasis part? And with what product?
Posted By: slvrsvt Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/28/06 10:16 PM
well depending on if anyone has replaced any of your front suspension parts with cheap ones then you should be able to grease the upper and lower ball joints, and your inner and outer tie rod ends. however if someone has replaced any of that stuff with cheap parts a lot of the time the cheap parts are non greasable which means they dont have grease fittings on them. but go to your local napa or autozone and buy a tube of grease and a grease gun and you can lube all of those.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/29/06 02:22 AM
A lube job is a carry over term from many many years ago when it was necessary to grease several fittings under the car related to suspension and steering. It is uncommon today for any of those same parts to need grease anymore. They are built with materials that tend to be self lubricating, packed with much superior grease, and what grease there is much better sealed into the component.

Today, the term "lube" usually means nothing more than checking and topping of fluids when it is performed along with an oil change.
Posted By: m4gician Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/29/06 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
A lube job is a carry over term from many many years ago when it was necessary to grease several fittings under the car related to suspension and steering. It is uncommon today for any of those same parts to need grease anymore. They are built with materials that tend to be self lubricating, packed with much superior grease, and what grease there is much better sealed into the component.

Today, the term "lube" usually means nothing more than checking and topping of fluids when it is performed along with an oil change.

bleh lol, thanks for the save there Jim. You always seem to save my ass .
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/29/06 03:14 AM
Originally posted by slvrsvt:
you should be able to grease the upper and lower ball joints, and your inner and outer tie rod ends.

Posted By: Tisby Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/29/06 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
you should be able to grease the upper and lower ball joints, and your inner and outer tie rod ends.

+1
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/29/06 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Tisby:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

+1

Maybe if you don't have Ford parts

I know the ball joints we put on my 96GL (you know, the ones where you use the original LCA and grind off the old ones) had a grease nipple on them.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/29/06 01:49 PM
Yes. The Ford replacement ball joints have a zerk fitting so that it can be greased. They don't come from the factory that way. There aren't any zerk fittings on anything on this car from the factory.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/29/06 04:33 PM
Originally posted by todras:
There aren't any zerk fittings on anything on this car from the factory.

Glad I wasn't going crazy.
Posted By: Troy00690 Re: How do I 'LUBE' the chasis? - 08/31/06 09:36 PM
Coming from A walmart Grease monkey almost all of the newer cars 95 and up don't have grease fittings. Some of the bigger GM vehicles will have one or 2. The newer ford trucks are lucky to have 1 on them. Gm on the other hand have around 7-13 on there trucks big and small. I do get some aftermarket parts that have fittings on them like what was said before.
© CEG Archives