Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I'm just trying to find out with the variations in bottle volume for different fuel injector cleaners, how much should I be using? I mean I saw this xtra concentrated stuff form penzoil which was about 373ml. How much approximately should I use? Just to be precise.
What do the directions state? Are you adding this to the tank or have you removed the UIM and are spraying it down?
no no, the FAQ on cleaning them chemically w/o removing., the FAQ suggests berryman b12 which I can't find, and I was wondering could I substitute for this or even get a slighty larger bottle to use to clean them/
No point, save your money. If you haven't tore down the intake manifolds and cleaned it out by hand, this will barely do much. The carbon is too gunked to be removed by the non-removal process. In most people's opinion, this method is only beneficial for those who have already tore down the manifolds.
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
No point, save your money. If you haven't tore down the intake manifolds and cleaned it out by hand, this will barely do much. The carbon is too gunked to be removed by the non-removal process. In most people's opinion, this method is only beneficial for those who have already tore down the manifolds.

Throw some seafoam in there, it will do a decent job, not close to what a rebuild will be, but it DOES DO SOMETHING.

Originally posted by Tourige:

Throw some seafoam in there, it will do a decent job, not close to what a rebuild will be, but it DOES DO SOMETHING.

I had to use a hard bristled brush to the build up off, and that was AFTER i let it soak in b-12 for about and hour. Will it get rid of SOME of the carbon build up...yes. Will it get rid of any of the build up that is causing a disruption in the airflow...no.
Originally posted by elraido:

I had to use a hard bristled brush to the build up off, and that was AFTER i let it soak in b-12 for about and hour. Will it get rid of SOME of the carbon build up...yes. Will it get rid of any of the build up that is causing a disruption in the airflow...no.

If your at the point of the secondaries having troubles opening up (like i was) than a can of berrymans is a life saver.

I agree. I noticed a bit of a difference after doing the on the car cleaning. The conventional wisdom on these boards is that this cleaning method is best as a maintenance practice once a REAL cleaning has been done.

I also agree that Sea Foam is probably the best, followed by Berryman's B-12. Try Canuck Tire, maybe they carry it.
Originally posted by elraido:

never thought of that point, if that's the only problem, sure beats a 9 hr teardown/rebuild

If your at the point of the secondaries having troubles opening up (like i was) than a can of berrymans is a life saver.

Originally posted by m4gician:
I'm just trying to find out with the variations in bottle volume for different fuel injector cleaners, how much should I be using? I mean I saw this xtra concentrated stuff form penzoil which was about 373ml. How much approximately should I use? Just to be precise.

Most any good injector cleaner will work. One can is probably enough, but two would not hurt.

And yes, it does help. It may not clean as well as tearing the manifolds off, but it is a lot cheaper and easier. It will make a noticable difference in how the engine runs.
Originally posted by Big Jim:

Most any good injector cleaner will work. One can is probably enough, but two would not hurt.

And yes, it does help. It may not clean as well as tearing the manifolds off, but it is a lot cheaper and easier. It will make a noticable difference in how the engine runs.

Plus you wont have the problem with misfiring or rough idle problems like some of us have had.

1 rebuild turrned into-> new plugs, new wires= 160 bucks, granted i upgraded to Magnecores tho.
thanks, I keep reading the rebuild FAQ but I need to gather all the gaskets, tools and spare parts to attempt it and it hasn't come across me yet. Before September hits, I'll do a partial rebuild of the UIM simply because I don't want to engage the whole thing yet.
thanks, I keep reading the rebuild FAQ but I need to gather all the gaskets, tools and spare parts to attempt it and it hasn't come across me yet. Before September hits, I'll do a partial rebuild of the UIM simply because I don't want to engage the whole thing yet.

The upper is very easy to do...just make sure you are carefull with those vac lines on top...very brittle.
Quote:

The upper is very easy to do...just make sure you are carefull with those vac lines on top...very brittle.

I just did my upper and lower removal and clean tonight, i found for the vac lines all i did was removed the one right from the brake booster, and removed the other one form the rubber end at near the firewall, didnt worry about the clips on the manifold. I did the complete job in approx 5 hours, i would say 85% of that time was cleaning. Oh yeah I have around 145,000 km on my car.
© CEG Archives